** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PH

Re: Theresa May's 'Brexit means Brexit' catchphrase is meaningless, Tory minister admits

Post by PH »

AlaninWales wrote: I have no idea why people find this strange or consider it new.

If they are being promised that we will make up the difference between X & Y when no one knows what either of them will be and one of them will be outside our control, then it's not only strange and new but also IMO foolish. It looks like a blank cheque which in turn looks pretty desperate.
AlaninWales

Re: Theresa May's 'Brexit means Brexit' catchphrase is meaningless, Tory minister admits

Post by AlaninWales »

If ....

Kipling wrote a poem about "If" ISTR :lol:
PH

Post by PH »

AlaninWales wrote:If ....

Can you think of a single reason why a manufacturer would take such a multi million dollar risk IF they hadn't received such an assurance?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

PH wrote:

Can you think of a single reason why a manufacturer would take such a multi million dollar risk IF they hadn't received such an assurance?

I wonder if all the grief Ms May is getting about her Brexit plans (or complete lack of them) encouraged her to provide Nissan with assurances and support so she'd get a bit of good PR ... sort of "look, having no plan what-so-ever is not stopping investment ..."

Ian
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Psamathe wrote:I wonder if all the grief Ms May is getting about her Brexit plans (or complete lack of them) encouraged her to provide Nissan with assurances and support so she'd get a bit of good PR ... sort of "look, having no plan what-so-ever is not stopping investment ..."

Ian

Surely She wouldn't have given any assurances about relieving any forthcoming tariff charges? She told Scotland she can't make any special cases.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Paulatic wrote:
Psamathe wrote:I wonder if all the grief Ms May is getting about her Brexit plans (or complete lack of them) encouraged her to provide Nissan with assurances and support so she'd get a bit of good PR ... sort of "look, having no plan what-so-ever is not stopping investment ..."

Ian

Surely She wouldn't have given any assurances about relieving any forthcoming tariff charges? She told Scotland she can't make any special cases.

You mean in the same way as she was consistent with the UK public and Goldman Sachs (in private) ? Or how she was consistent in her opposition to Heathrow's 3rd runway before she approved the plans.

Ian
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Nissan may get sweeteners or guarantees to offset the risk they take staying here. Other companies, especially smaller ones, will not.
Sunderland voted to leave, so that area ought not to get get any guarantees or offset funding, certainly not unless all other firms in all other areas do.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

PH wrote:

I certainly can't.
But what do I know- I only did economics at university. :mrgreen:
661-Pete

Re: Stupid Europhobe cliché

Post by 661-Pete »

Psamathe wrote:
661-Pete wrote:...
Oh and can we have a new title to this thread?...

Done. New title inspired (or rather stolen) from http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-means-brexit-theresa-may-catchphrase-meaningless-tory-minister-uk-eu-a7381526.html

Ian

Thanks. :D

I've been wondering a bit about these "x means x" catchphrases. An obvious one, in a more serious vein, is the plea of the would-be rapist's victim: "No means no!" Sadly, some guys still don't get the message.

I'm also reminded of a catchphrase which occurs repeatedly in John Le Carré's spy thrillers: "Yes, repeat No". Somehow I think that could well be applied to some of the 'promises' the supporters of brexit made us...... :twisted:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
matt_twam_asi

Post by matt_twam_asi »

661-Pete wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
661-Pete wrote:...
Oh and can we have a new title to this thread?...

Done. New title inspired (or rather stolen) from http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-means-brexit-theresa-may-catchphrase-meaningless-tory-minister-uk-eu-a7381526.html

Ian

Thanks. :D

I've been wondering a bit about these "x means x" catchphrases. An obvious one, in a more serious vein, is the plea of the would-be rapist's victim: "No means no!" Sadly, some guys still don't get the message.

I'm also reminded of a catchphrase which occurs repeatedly in John Le Carré's spy thrillers: "Yes, repeat No". Somehow I think that could well be applied to some of the 'promises' the supporters of brexit made us...... :twisted:

It reminds me of Wilde: "The man who could call a spade a spade should be compelled to use one. It is the only thing he is fit for."
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

matt_twam_asi wrote:It reminds me of Wilde: "The man who could call a spade a spade should be compelled to use one. It is the only thing he is fit for."

Well not everyone could be an Oscar Wilde,thankfully.
Otherwise who would do the real work?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
syklist

Post by syklist »

AlaninWales wrote:Exactly the type of promises* that are being made all the time to large companies by governments all around the world. They were being made before the BrExit vote and will continue into the future. That is how the system worked, works and will work, as long as we have large corporations and governments.

All well and good, but the UK government can as such only give promises to Nissan for the period after the UK leaves the EU if it wishes to avoid any possibility of contravening the EU rules on illegal state aid.

Although it wouldn't surprise me if the basic WTO trading rules also include limitations on the amount of state aid that private companies can receive.

Edit : as may any post Brexit agreement with the EU.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Just a thought - for a moment, setting aside arguments about the validity of the referendum.

It is often assumed that the security services and hidden powers (in some form) intervene to protect the country's interests, however they see them. In the past there has been evidence of 'them' undermining elected governments, infiltrating unions, creating narratives for the press, and so on. Presumably there a lot else that we don't know, but it is clear that democratic processes may be suspended to protect us from the Reds, anarchists and terrorists.

Question: If it considered that Brexit is a substantial threat to the UK economy, would the security services intervene to kill it?

Edit: In other words, would they act to protect us from ourselves?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

bovlomov wrote:Question: If it considered that Brexit is a substantial threat to the UK economy, would the security services intervene to kill it?

A military coup? That might hit the pound quite hard...
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

kwackers wrote:
bovlomov wrote:Question: If it considered that Brexit is a substantial threat to the UK economy, would the security services intervene to kill it?

A military coup? That might hit the pound quite hard...

That's not the British way. I was thinking more of compromising photos, blackmail, a word in someone's ear, a strategic suicide... ..that sort of thing.