** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by 661-Pete »

kwackers wrote:Fundamentally the problem with "leave" is it was never defined.
Ah - but "leave" was "defined". It was all written up in bold white letters on the side of a red single-deck bus.

Problem was, it was all lies......

And to some people, "leave" was defined as "get all those pesky forrinurs outta the country..." That ain't gonna happen, either....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
horizon

Post by horizon »

Bonefishblues wrote:1.14M now - my email finally came through

10.40 pm Thursday: It's just passed 2,000,000 and I think the media is taking it seriously. Remain has awoken, the lion has roared!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I think patience and/or apathy are at an end.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:I think patience and/or apathy are at an end.

Quite!
I think Theresa May is at her end as PM,along with her incompetent government! :evil:
Last edited by reohn2 on 21 Mar 2019, 11:01pm, edited 2 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Bonefishblues wrote:I think patience and/or apathy are at an end.

About bloody time.
mjr

Post by mjr »

horizon wrote:

10.40 pm Thursday: It's just passed 2,000,000 and I think the media is taking it seriously. Remain has awoken, the lion has roared!

Only some media. No mention on BBC TV news this evening.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

mjr wrote:
horizon wrote:

Only some media. No mention on BBC TV news this evening.
I noticed that. But I have also noticed how much the "oh-so-impartial" Beeb has been taking more and more of a pro-Brex**it stance in recent months. Look at those 'typical' citizens they sound out for vox pops up and down the country (I don't think they'll be doing vox pops in Brighton any time soon .... :evil: ).

On last check it's 2.138m. What is incredible is the number of people who've signed up today. I suppose there is a sense of urgency in all this, which wasn't there when the earlier petitions were launched.

Treeza - and your BBC lackeys - ignore this at your peril!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

She looks a broken woman to me.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Bonefishblues wrote:She looks a broken woman to me.

If she was a puppet, Ray Allen would have dumped her a while ago. :(
pwa

Post by pwa »

pete75 wrote:
pwa wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Hardly - it's what may yet happen.

That remain win? Yes that's possible. The playground jab was the last remark you made about leave supporters. You can't resist having a pop at us. If and when all this is over people will have to bridge the gaps and bring society back together. How about we start that now by not chucking flippant abuse around when it really isn't necessary? Let's be a bit more constructive.

After the referendum it was leave supporters who made we won you lost remarks. It's still going on. As a keen leaver I thought you might appreciate it what may happen being expressed like that.
If, as seems likely, Brexit will cause a lot of problems Brexit supporters will deserve any and all abuse that comes their way.

Discussing this topic with you is pointless.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

the BBC reports

May had been asking for an extension to article 50 until 30 June to make time for vital legislation to pass should she manage to get her deal through the Commons next week.

But her appeal “dismally” failed to offer any answers as to what she would do if the deal was blocked by MPs again, sources said, provoking EU leaders into taking matters into their own hands and in effect taking control of her future.

“She didn’t even give clarity if she is organising a vote,” said one aide to a leader. “Asked three times what she would do if she lost the vote, she couldn’t say. It was awful. Dreadful. Evasive even by her standards.”

When leaders asked May what she was going to do if her deal was voted down, an official added that the prime minister replied that she was following her plan A of getting it through. It was then that the EU decided that “she didn’t have a plan so they needed to come up with one for her”, the source added.

she called an election that wasnt needed; she activated Article 50 in the face of a divided country; she has refused to find a concensus in Parliament; she now blames Parliament for not doing as it is told and that it all its fault; she refuses to go.

what has she done right? some one tell me? she has brought shame on this country that will take a long time to repair?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Leading a broken government(not)in charge of a broken government and a broken parliament,not to mention a broken country......
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:

Leading a broken government(not)in charge of a broken government and a broken parliament,not to mention a broken country......

I dont agree with a broken parlaiment or country. May is just a fool who lacked the wit to avoid problems - sometimes we have to agree to disagree- her approach to things has no room for that, its her way or no way.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pwa wrote:
pete75 wrote:
pwa wrote:That remain win? Yes that's possible. The playground jab was the last remark you made about leave supporters. You can't resist having a pop at us. If and when all this is over people will have to bridge the gaps and bring society back together. How about we start that now by not chucking flippant abuse around when it really isn't necessary? Let's be a bit more constructive.

After the referendum it was leave supporters who made we won you lost remarks. It's still going on. As a keen leaver I thought you might appreciate it what may happen being expressed like that.
If, as seems likely, Brexit will cause a lot of problems Brexit supporters will deserve any and all abuse that comes their way.

Discussing this topic with you is pointless.

I guess it is if you can't face the truth.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Psamathe wrote:
pete75 wrote:....

The difficult comes in the lies that the electorate were told. Can you blame people for believing what their elected MPs were telling them?

Ian

They believed those lies because they wanted to believe them. The lies supported their own attitude towards leaving. The downsides of leaving were shouted loud and clear by the other side. Most Brexit supporters called them Project Fear.
As for a leaver saying we must heal divisions it's not remainers who are calling MPs and judges traitors and making death threats to elected politicians.
Last edited by pete75 on 22 Mar 2019, 9:17am, edited 1 time in total.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker