** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PDQ Mobile

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by PDQ Mobile »

And I am sorry if I have done the same.
Confusion rules the world!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:
bovlomov wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:
But I was, given how pro European I have percieved you to be, that you voted leave.

Given the context and the following sentence, I think it's a mistake and Vorpal intended to say "Yes, I voted Remain".
Sorry if I've libelled her.

:lol: :lol: Yes, I mant to say I voted remain :oops: :oops:

That's more like it! :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Stevek76 wrote:At any rate, thanks to the DM, the more hardcore leave supporters and Cameron showing himself up for the shallow PR man he is and running away rather than staying to try and clear up his mess, a 'we've heard your concerns and will do something about it' response seems to have not have been a possibility as it would not have been respecting the will of der peepul or some such.

And of course, forgot to mention that Cameron was busy selling the referendum to the public as absolute and binding and that he'd notify a.50 the day after if leave 'won' in a pathetic attempt to scare wavering voters to remain. Meanwhile, back when it had been presented to parliament it was quite clearly done so as advisory only and that there was no need to e.g. set any supermajority winning condition because of this.

In effect, the executive under Cameron unintentionally and rather unconstitutionally (in spirit) bound the actions of parliament out of hubris.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Grauniad reports that Sir Nigel wants a third referendum to "kill off" the issue :D
Why, has he changed his mind?

BTW, is it usual/normal to be addressed as *Sir*? Seems to happen to me a lot in Wales, +1
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The Grauniad reports that Sir Nigel wants a third referendum to "kill off" the issue :D

BTW, is it usual/normal to be addressed as *Sir*? Seems to happen to me a lot in Wales, +1

Perhaps he's starting to realise it'll be a cluster**** and that he'll be forever tied to it.
Having a third referendum gives him the chance to distance himself from it if it was again in favour

"Well this time you knew the facts and still voted leave".
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Probably also having an existential crisis, without the UK in the EU and being able to blame it for everything, farage suddenly has no purpose.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The Grauniad reports that Sir Nigel wants a third referendum to "kill off" the issue :D

The story as I read it was that he's "coming around to the idea..." old Nige is just lighting fuses, methinks.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

I think he is saying this now because he thinks it may happen, so wants it fast before the real truth comes out about how dire it is going to be. The longer it goes on, the more people will realise what a mess it is.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I think he's just a very needy individual who wants some attention tbh. I'd like R2 The Sequel, but I don't think I'm in any danger of getting one - nor does NF.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Maybe he should go into a retreat for a few years
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Maybe he should go into a retreat for a few years

Things that are highly unlikely to happen no. 14,707
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Maybe he should go into a retreat for a few years

Things that are highly unlikely to happen no. 14,707

Remember 1989? :D
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
The way I heard it on the radio was that another ref would put to bed all the stayers, as the results would still be the same.
His words not mine.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
The way I heard it on the radio was that another ref would put to bed all the stayers, as the results would still be the same.
His words not mine.

He's not stupid.

He can't lose. By saying he'd be happy with another referendum he makes it look like he's both confident and reasonable.
If it happens and we stay then it's business as usual for him and he gets to slag off the EU.
If we vote leave again then he's covered for it being both a success ("I told you so!") and a failure ("You voted for it knowing what it would mean").

Currently it looks like it's going to cripple us. We've lost some important stuff, more is on it's way out and he's no doubt having a little poo in his pants thinking that he's going to be forever linked to a failure.
What he's doing is what Nigel does best, looking after himself.

FWIW I don't think that now is the time for another referendum. We've come this far so lets see what's on offer then lets have a referendum based on what we're being offered rather than more pie-in-the-sky promises that can't be delivered.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

kwackers wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
His words not mine.

He's not stupid.

He can't lose. By saying he'd be happy with another referendum he makes it look like he's both confident and reasonable.
If it happens and we stay then it's business as usual for him and he gets to slag off the EU.

And he'd get to keep his job. Ever since the referendum he's been touting himself around (remember his job search with Trump, then with Le Penn - both completely unsuccessful).

kwackers wrote:.....
FWIW I don't think that now is the time for another referendum. We've come this far so lets see what's on offer then lets have a referendum based on what we're being offered rather than more pie-in-the-sky promises that can't be delivered.

I would agree. Let people see what is negotiated and to get a better feel for the real impacts, then let them decide with more complete knowledge and fuller understanding of the consequences and what won't be happening (e.g. NHS will not be getting its extra £350m a week, etc.).

Ian