** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Oldjohnw »

I actually feel a lot of sympathy for those decent people who voted leave. They have to support a concept invented and pushed by such a miserable lot of charlatans.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 1 Feb 2020, 8:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Generalisations again.

The whole thing was abhorred by people like me - and countless numbers of people - right from the start going back more than 50 years.

I know this thread has progressed since I was on here earlier today, but the fact still remains.
Not everyone thinks or is influenced the way that the press suggest we are.

Countless millions of us have a brain and we aren't sheep.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mike Sales

Happy Brexit Day.

Post by Mike Sales »

A racist ‘Brexit Day’ poster demanding that residents speak the “Queen’s English” has been posted on “every floor” of a Norwich tower block.

The poster celebrates the return of “our great country”, and goes onto explain “one rule that needs to be made clear” – speaking English within the tower.
The anonymous author adds: “If you do want to speak whatever is the mother tongue of the country you came from then we suggest you return to that place and return your flat to the council so they can let British people live here and we can return to what was once normality before you infected this once great country.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/norwich-tower-block-norfolk-brexit-racism_uk_5e3573bcc5b611ac94d541f5
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
pwa

Post by pwa »

mjr wrote:
pwa wrote:You will find a similar story in other car manufacturing countries. A big drop off in car manufacturing which has particularly hit diesel car production, which the UK has been particularly big in. Think about the VW scandal, recent concerns about diesel emissions, and uncertainty over future government policies on diesel cars (not just in the UK), all more or less coinciding with the run up to Brexit. Jaguar Landrover is finding it harder to sell cars in places like China, where Brexit has no impact.

Another cycling forum has a running gag where every piece of negative Brexit impact news is dismissed as in some way linked to the change of policy on diesel.

I'm only repeating what I got from watching a TV report on problems in the UK car industry, which had Brexit concerns as a factor, but not the big one. The decline in demand for diesel cars was one of the problems.
100%JR

Re: Happy Brexit Day.

Post by 100%JR »

Mike Sales wrote:
A racist ‘Brexit Day’ poster demanding that residents speak the “Queen’s English” has been posted on “every floor” of a Norwich tower block.

The poster celebrates the return of “our great country”, and goes onto explain “one rule that needs to be made clear” – speaking English within the tower.
The anonymous author adds: “If you do want to speak whatever is the mother tongue of the country you came from then we suggest you return to that place and return your flat to the council so they can let British people live here and we can return to what was once normality before you infected this once great country.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/norwich-tower-block-norfolk-brexit-racism_uk_5e3573bcc5b611ac94d541f5

Whilst I think that a very small minority of our population think like the "person" who saw fit to print and pin up that letter I also think there will be more along similar lines across the Country :oops:
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Division, bitterness, anger and in time probably violence are here to stay

Well, it certainly aint coming from people who voted leave because things are all going the way they voted, theres no reason for it whatsoever. It all seems to be coming from Arch Remainers... as evidenced right here :lol: Hyperbole...

The nutter in the tower block will be abhored by all decent people whichever way they voted.

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 1 Feb 2020, 9:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
BrightonRock

Post by BrightonRock »

When Buyers Remorse kicks in, not many weeks from now, it will turn even Leavers against committed Leavers.

Freedom of movement will be the first 'concession'. And a hundred defeats and concessions to follow. Red lines? No border in the Irish sea, remember that one? Hoodwinked by liars and charlatans. Not a promise will be kept. That's the only guarantee of Brexit. Taking back control? That's the sickest joke of all.

Like i said, we're now on the other side of the looking glass. All the opprobium that was leveled at remainers will now switch to the leavers, who i predict will be known as the real traitors in this longitudinal farce. I bet there won't be a single leaver in six months time who won't deny it thrice in public. 'Who me, no not me, i voted remain'. It'll become a loathsome badge, a hateful and hated band of happy fools. Jeered at and despised.

Leading Britain into a near inevitable apocalypse. And all the trumpeting and naysaying you can come out with won't change that destiny. Won't change a damn thing. Take a bow. Well done.

The first country in history ever to impose economic sanctions on itself.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Which side is supposed to harbour bitterness and resentment? :lol:
PH

Post by PH »

BrightonRock wrote:When Buyers Remorse kicks in, not many weeks from now, it will turn even Leavers against committed Leavers.

I think there ought to be some remainers remorse as well. Years wasted with the fantasy that we weren't going to leave instead of spent trying to mitigate it. Becoming more delusional as the time slipped away, culminating in the LibDems thinking they had enough support to revoke Article 50. We've had opportunities for a better Brexit, where was the coherent Labour Party policy in the 2017 election? Why didn't the Libdems support a no confidence motion last year...
BrightonRock

Post by BrightonRock »

:oops:
pwa wrote:Which side is supposed to harbour bitterness and resentment? :lol:

It will be a universal, in a matter of months. When the lie becomes reality, in the cold light of concession after concession by Yours truly Bojo, leaver, as I've said, will turn against committed leaver.

Brexit, as it stands, in this half baked form has been vomitted upon us. Can you name a country that has self inflicted such idiocy upon itself in Europe previously ?

The utter farce of Gibraltar is just a kick off. The unanswered conundrum of Northern Ireland is next, and the Scots, who seem likely to quit the union. And who could blame them. The UK, as i see it doesn't have a leg to stand on, in negotiations on so many vital issues. Idiots led by conniving circus clowns. It's never been a more true statement: we get the government we deserve. I can't imagine a group of individuals less able, nor interested to deliver a good deal for Britain. To listen to Boris, you'd think a no deal exit and economic apocalypse for the UK was already priced in. Which it probably is.

Donald Trump must be rubbing his tiny hands at the prospect.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

All these absurd predictions reminds me of someone else lately departed? Or perhaps not... :(

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Evening, I suspect that we have at least one person posting under false colours? I can hear the touch of Jeremiah or Private Frazer booming out, "Doomed, We're Doomed"! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Accept the fact that Brexit is not a Scorched Earth Policy, created to stop the E.U. from finding assets to strip from us.
None of this would have been necessary had the people in charge of the current unhearing E.U. just listened to earnest requests to discuss reforming areas that really do need reform. Don't just bleat "Citation" back at me. If they didn't listen why should I? MM
thatsnotmyname

Post by thatsnotmyname »

BrightonRock wrote:Division, bitterness, anger and in time probably violence are here to stay. A magic switch pulled last night is not going to change any of that. On this, the flip side of the looking glass expect the focus to pull towards leavers, and a wave of ire and contempt that they have thus far avoided to increase many fold. Rioting, as we've seen in France gets results.

I predict the next twelve months are going to be the nastiest Britain has seen in a very long time, perhaps ever. There will be no healing balm, and no solution for it for years and years to come.

Anyone who believes Brexit will be 'done' by the end of this year is as deluded and daft as the idiots who believed what was writ high on the side of Boris's bus.

The only saving grace is that very shortly Mr Johnson will have to own the omnishambles he and his acolytes have created.

A thing which in itself will be a beauty to behold, no doubt.

Well said.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

merseymouth wrote:Evening, I suspect that we have at least one person posting under false colours? I can hear the touch of Jeremiah or Private Frazer booming out, "Doomed, We're Doomed"! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: MM

Pretty obvious really when you do word and phrase searches. Certainly multiple identities :D

Al
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

merseymouth wrote:Evening, I suspect that we have at least one person posting under false colours? I can hear the touch of Jeremiah or Private Frazer booming out, "Doomed, We're Doomed"! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Accept the fact that Brexit is not a Scorched Earth Policy, created to stop the E.U. from finding assets to strip from us.
None of this would have been necessary had the people in charge of the current unhearing E.U. just listened to earnest requests to discuss reforming areas that really do need reform. Don't just bleat "Citation" back at me. If they didn't listen why should I? MM

Why not accept the reality that we simply do not know?

Secondly the problem was not an "unhearing EU", more often simply a poorly or non- represented UK