** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Bonefishblues

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Bonefishblues »

What are his other extreme policies/views which lead you to your views, and label him evil? I am aware of, and wholly disagree with his views on abortion btw.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Abortion is a good start.

From my point of view his views about the EU and agriculture, his distain for the 3 crop rule and his desire to use the nicotioid spays fly in the face of any ecological type thinking.
Given the problems we face in that sector I fond his views extreme.

I have found his utterances on the EU to be very extreme. And also without foundation.
To suggest a comparison with Waterloo was really a step to far for me. I believe it represented a view so unpalatable and extreme that it made me shudder.

The man above all is a demonstrable hypocrite, if a man is a hypocrite in his religious and moral life, then for my money that makes him extreme and dangerously so.

Perhaps you should google him?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I can Google, I was exploring what you find so abhorrent about him.

As yet I cannot see evil or anything that merits comparison with a fascist organisation.

...and for the record, I don't agree with him, nor do I trust him.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Bonefishblues wrote:I can Google, I was exploring what you find so abhorrent about him.

As yet I cannot see evil or anything that merits comparison with a fascist organisation.

I know that.

I have listed what really disturbs me about him.
So far from my own position.

His Somerset Investments interests in abortion drugs production for the Far East and his statement defending it, "well life's not perfect", I found revealed much about the man.

I do not trust him either, and with good reason given the above.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:I can Google, I was exploring what you find so abhorrent about him.

We'll have to agree to differ then.
But to quote his saviour "you shall know them by their fruit,a good tree can't bear bad fruit and a bad tree can't bear good fruit"
He's one bad tree amongst a forest of them in his party

Well at least we agree on something about him.
Last edited by reohn2 on 16 Mar 2019, 8:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I do think that you might be letting the depth of your hatred get in the way of rational thought.

Well I'm not sure.
Ress Mogg has some very extreme views not least about abortion.
Yet he is also a hypocrite willing to put those views aside in pursuit of profit.
Indeed little would hinder him in his quest for money and power. No environmental concerns no sympathy with poverty.

His utterances about the UK being a "vassal state" and that the referendum result was comparable to victory at the "Battle of Waterloo" seem to me to lend good credence to the existence of his extreme views.

I don't know what his stance on abortion is, but if he believes a foetus is a human life that has rights he is not extreme in that regard. That is a widely held view that is a natural response to believing human life begins at conception, and that all human life matters. It is not the only legitimate view, but it is one of them.

The "vassal state" thing is again a legitimate view, the remarkable thing about it being his choice of a phrase from history books of yore. But if you substitute "subserviant" for "vassal" it is a legitimate view.

Neither of those views makes the man a Nazi or anything like. If you think those views extreme you want to tune in to what the EDL get up to and find out what extreme really is. Unless your definition of "extreme" is simply any opinion you don't share.
horizon

Post by horizon »

ambodach wrote:Interesting to see what kind of extra bung is given to the Arlene Foster bunch in return for support.

I have a feeling that there will be no need: it's My Deal or No Brexit. Even the DUP can see the writing on the wall. With No Deal off the table and a two year delay threatening, there is going to be a rush of Gadarene Swine into the Aye lobby next week. My money is on MV3 getting through, bung or no bung.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pwa wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I do think that you might be letting the depth of your hatred get in the way of rational thought.

Well I'm not sure.
Ress Mogg has some very extreme views not least about abortion.
Yet he is also a hypocrite willing to put those views aside in pursuit of profit.
Indeed little would hinder him in his quest for money and power. No environmental concerns no sympathy with poverty.

His utterances about the UK being a "vassal state" and that the referendum result was comparable to victory at the "Battle of Waterloo" seem to me to lend good credence to the existence of his extreme views.

I don't know what his stance on abortion is, but if he believes a foetus is a human life that has rights he is not extreme in that regard. That is a widely held view that is a natural response to believing human life begins at conception, and that all human life matters. It is not the only legitimate view, but it is one of them.

The "vassal state" thing is again a legitimate view, the remarkable thing about it being his choice of a phrase from history books of yore. But if you substitute "subserviant" for "vassal" it is a legitimate view.

Neither of those views makes the man a Nazi or anything like. If you think those views extreme you want to tune in to what the EDL get up to and find out what extreme really is. Unless your definition of "extreme" is simply any opinion you don't share.

I agree, one can profoundly oppose and deprecate another's views, but I think that one diminishes one's own pov by in effect, name-calling.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

pwa wrote:I don't know what his stance on abortion is, but if he believes a foetus is a human life that has rights he is not extreme in that regard. That is a widely held view that is a natural response to believing human life begins at conception, and that all human life matters. It is not the only legitimate view, but it is one of them.

I am astonished you do not know his stance on abortion!!
Have you been selective in following his pieces in a well known daily?

His well documented stance on abortion is that even after rape by a father abortion should be illegal.
And yet his finance company Somerset Investments have money invested in a firm that produces abortion drugs in the Far East.
When confronted with this his response was as in my above post. I saw it and heard it.
There is no mistake.
He is a moral hypocrite.
And you don't think that extreme?

There is no foundation for stating we are a vassal state IMV.
It is a soundbite designed to rabble rouse and it has been successful, it would seem.

Please note, you not I, have invoked Godwin's Law.
Last edited by PDQ Mobile on 16 Mar 2019, 9:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
pwa wrote:I don't know what his stance on abortion is, but if he believes a foetus is a human life that has rights he is not extreme in that regard. That is a widely held view that is a natural response to believing human life begins at conception, and that all human life matters. It is not the only legitimate view, but it is one of them.

His well documented stance on abortion is that even after rape by a father abortion should be illegal.
And yet his finance company Somerset Investments have money invested in a firm that produces abortion drugs in the Far East.
When confronted with this his response was as in my above post. I saw it and heard it.
There is no mistake.
He is a moral hypocrite.

Should he have resigned his position?

I have done things about which I was uncomfortable, and which I would not of my own volition done. However they were reasonable instructions, wholly within the law, and I therefore said my piece and focused on performing them with professional skill and humanity. We do live in an imperfect world.
pwa

Post by pwa »

PDQ Mobile wrote:

There is no mistake.
He is a moral hypocrite.

That view about abortion is not my own, but it is consistent with a belief that human life matters even in the womb. So I respect it, as I respect other thought-through opinions on the subject. But I see the hypocrisy of not following that stand point through with investments. So you have the man banged to rights as a hypocrite. That still doesn't make him a Nazi. It doesn't make him a Far Right extremist. It just makes him a hypocrite.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

There's non so blind as them that will not see.
I saw an interview with Chris Patten who's a family friend of JRM and grew up with him,when asked about his said "Jacob has one interest,making money.He's still a little boy collecting money and always has been"
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Graham

Post by Graham »

Please excuse the crude pruning of a section here. I really cannot be buttocked to do a forensic analysis . . .

Goodnight :shock:
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

pwa wrote:So you have the man banged to rights as a hypocrite. That still doesn't make him a Nazi. It doesn't make him a Far Right extremist. It just makes him a hypocrite.

I have not invoked Godwin's Law and it is unfair to impune that I have.
I find his views very repugnant.

I find his stance on the EU far from anything that during my travels I have experienced.

I have however some experience with Oxford and Eton people and there are many similar to him.
Some of have very elitist and extreme views and they have much in common with Mogg in my judgement.
You go on the hungry island with them! But you won't sleep deep!

I merely wish to state my view.
I think he would be a terrible person to have in any position of real power. He has done enough divisive damage already.
Deep down I think I may have been closer in my earlier casual assessment that many who voted leave admire and respect the man, in spite of protesting otherwise?
Still if I can damage him then I will.
I took that position after his Waterloo statement.
The hypocrisy came later!
pwa

Post by pwa »

Graham wrote:Please excuse the crude pruning of a section here. I really cannot be buttocked to do a forensic analysis . . .

Goodnight :shock:

Sleep tight Graham.