** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mjr

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by mjr »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Lets not mention the EU now being exposed as trying to destroy London's financial top dog status.................they want to weaken us.......................better together... :roll:

What's to be exposed? Various EU nations highlighted this as one of the few silver linings they could see to us leaving, with Madrid and Frankfurt making early plays for banks, Brussels and Paris waiting a bit.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
CUK poll shows 7:3 to remain...yes...............hardly representative of what was voted...........do you think that many have changed their minds now?

I am happy that we are leaving, voted on gut instinct.

BUT since the result we have had a barrage of bullying from the EU..........................or are the remainers just seeing any thing from EU as backing their side to stay.

The EU kicking is exactly what we would expect.......or what I expect........more honestly I am not surprised even.

I can take the kicking from EU..................otherwise we all just give up and we should of voted 90% to stay, like in Russia China Iran Iraq etc....if you believe that any country is happy just having one candidate..............
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

we have had a barrage of bullying from the EU

You're in a quite different world to me. I've genuinely no idea what you're on about. Perhaps you could provide an example or twenty to substantiate this "barrage"?

I see a lot of bombast from UK politicians, and a remarkably calm response across the EU. I can't think of a single example of anything remotely like "bullying".
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

BrianFox wrote:

You're in a quite different world to me. I've genuinely no idea what you're on about. Perhaps you could provide an example or twenty to substantiate this "barrage"?

I see a lot of bombast from UK politicians, and a remarkably calm response across the EU. I can't think of a single example of anything remotely like "bullying".

Exactly.+1

What is this "kicking" Natural Ankling sees?
What sector of the press does put this about??

IMV we are in negotiation with a large group of diverse but intelligent and tolerant nations.

From my point of view I am being dragged to this point against my will by an extreme right wing and greedy UK govt.
And an extreme right wing press that has demonstrably used falsehoods to further its ( hidden) aims.
There is nothing in this Brexit for poor and working people.
The EU was much more equitable towards them as a group (opposed to our Govt).

The Europeans seem to me to much more intelligent and reasonable.
They "didn't hear the whistle of Boris Johnson but sensibly only the clock ticking"- paraphrased from Michel Barnier.

Additionally.
Save me from the likes of Rees Mogg someone please!
Opponent of sustainable agriculture and population!
Rich, privileged, narrow minded and a net draw on taxpayers and EU funds. And how!
Millions of pounds worth. Hypocrite.

I will fight against his views.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Are you also happy with living under a gov with 30% support by the electorate?

No but that's a different system entirely.

When I started my post.....I admit to being confused at the EU Ref.....so I voted with my gut.....how many others did the same?
And even on that basis they still vote on both sides, that's democracy as we know it and live in good or bad fair or unjust, we bite the bullet
I've posted many times on here that if you enter into the democratic process however flawed it is,you're not only voting for who you wish to win but also accepting to abide by the result as a consequence.
I see CUK's poll currently runs at 7:3 to stay, its not accurate of course but shows that the stayers are 3.5 times more likely to express a disappointment at the result of ref.
Based on what you said about both sides lies what does that tell you about the stayers..or does it show the leavers were more likely to be led by the nose because the leavers are all so thick?

Why are the EU giving us a good kicking for leaving......................didn't see much of the EU promoting the happy family before we split.

My post only said that lies were told on both sides,nothing more nothing less,however those lies would I've no doubt influenced those voting,by how much and how many is anyone's guess.
As for the EU giving the UK a "good kicking" how so?
From where I'm standing the EU are trying to negotiate a settlement of the UK seeking to leave the "club" who so far haven't a clue how to go about it, and so far have themselves,or at least their representatives seemingly done no more than posture and threaten the EU with various ridiculous tactics as the EU needing us more than we need them or turning the UK into an offshore tax haven.
TBH just lately I 've turn off from the whole debacle as the more I listen the more silly it becomes :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
BrianFox wrote:

Exactly.+1

What is this "kicking" Natural Ankling sees?
What sector of the press does put this about??

IMV we are in negotiation with a large group of diverse but intelligent and tolerant nations.

From my point of view I am being dragged to this point against my will by an extreme right wing and greedy UK govt.
And an extreme right wing press that has demonstrably used falsehoods to further its ( hidden) aims.
There is nothing in this Brexit for poor and working people.
The EU was much more equitable towards them as a group (opposed to our Govt).

The Europeans seem to me to much more intelligent and reasonable.
They "didn't hear the whistle of Boris Johnson but sensibly only the clock ticking"- paraphrased from Michel Barnier.

Additionally.
Save me from the likes of Rees Mogg someone please!
Opponent of sustainable agriculture and population!
Rich, privileged, narrow minded and a net draw on taxpayers and EU funds. And how!
Millions of pounds worth. Hypocrite.

I will fight against his views.

Spot on both of you.
W H Auden
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

reohn2 wrote:
Boyd wrote:
BrianFox wrote:Tough pretending a 52:48 vote was overwhelming, but fair play black bike, you're flogging away at it. Do carry on.

Does it matter? A majority is a majority. I have no doubt you would consider it overwhelming if it was 52:48 remain

All that referendum indicated was that the UK was split down the middle on leaving the EU,yes it was a majority and now the UK has to abide by it,but any claims that it was an informed referendum is a joke.
The basis of either side's campaign was mainly based on lies,and totally pompous,when really neither side knew what we were to expect.

How can we know the end result in economic terms? Furthermore it's not just about economics.
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

pete75 wrote:
Boyd wrote:
BrianFox wrote:Tough pretending a 52:48 vote was overwhelming, but fair play black bike, you're flogging away at it. Do carry on.

Does it matter? A majority is a majority. I have no doubt you would consider it overwhelming if it was 52:48 remain

One Nigel Farage in an interview May 2016

"a narrow 52-48% win for Remain side would be “unfinished business” and would prompt him to fight for a second referendum."

And? The referendum was not about Nigel farage it was about leaving the EU.
I doubt you have problem with Scotland going for a second.....third.... fourth referendum.
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

Vorpal wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:
I see CUK's poll currently runs at 7:3 to stay, its not accurate of course but shows that the stayers are 3.5 times more likely to express a disappointment at the result of ref.

Why are the EU giving us a good kicking for leaving......................didn't see much of the EU promoting the happy family before we split.

The CUK poll only shows that forum members favour remain.

As for giving us a kicking, IMO, it's more in the way of a divorce, with both sides vying for the goodies. The EU is trying to say that the UK doesn't get anything but the house.

That's okay, though, because the UK has admitted that the kids are just bargaining chips.

Wrong the aim of the EU is to discourage others from leaving.
"the kids are just bargaining chips" feel free to expand on that.
In divorce one side gets everything, the house and the kids...as you are well aware.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Boyd wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36306681 17 May 2016 wrote:The question of a second referendum was raised by Mr Farage in an interview with the Mirror in which he said: "In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the Remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it."

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
mjr wrote:
blackbike wrote:The only English region which voted Remain was London, and even there 40% of people want to get out of the EU.

England, both urban and rural, is Leave territory.

It was, but only narrowly, and some polls suggest that Leave has lost it now. That's hardly surprising, what with the antics of the Brexit Bulldog and his friends, as you can hear on http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02pc9p ... /downloads

Lets not mention the EU now being exposed as trying to destroy London's financial top dog status.................they want to weaken us.......................better together... :roll:

They are not "trying to destroy London's financial top dog status". Several EU cities have been wanting to grow their financial sectors for a long time. UK is leaving the EU so they are looking to take the business the UK may no longer be able to undertake (remember all those EU regulations we don't want to accept, remember that we have a red line over the ECJ).

All countries are continually trying to grow their businesses, trying to attract businesses to move to their country, to help their economy, etc. Did we start a hate campaign against Ireland when they reduced their corporation tax rate to attract businesses that might otherwise have moved to the UK ?

Ian
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

Never mind Article 50.

Article 7 is all the rage now.

The EU has another member which refuses to obey orders.

How long will it last?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... dependence
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

seems like a latest twist is the the UK threatens to dump all the EU's nuclear waste we process back to the countries of origin :lol:
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mercalia wrote:seems like a latest twist is the the UK threatens to dump all the EU's nuclear waste we process back to the countries of origin :lol:

And people say "do we want friends like the EU" and they go on about all the supposed threats from the EU like "closing down the City" yet we seem to be doing the threatening (whilst the City continues to voluntarily expand its EU offices whilst shrinking its London operations).

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Boyd wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Boyd wrote:Does it matter? A majority is a majority. I have no doubt you would consider it overwhelming if it was 52:48 remain

All that referendum indicated was that the UK was split down the middle on leaving the EU,yes it was a majority and now the UK has to abide by it,but any claims that it was an informed referendum is a joke.
The basis of either side's campaign was mainly based on lies,and totally pompous,when really neither side knew what we were to expect.

How can we know the end result in economic terms? Furthermore it's not just about economics.

Sorry,missed this post.
So we're willing to jump into the unknown without knowing what to expect and risk making the UK far poorer, so we can 'restore sovereignty' or is there some other reason we've all missed ?
W H Auden