** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
merseymouth

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by merseymouth »

Hello folk, I found an article by Ambrose Evans-Pritchard in daily Telegraph Thursday 20th December quite interesting.
"It's time to break free as Germany fears a no-deal cost".
May I post one possibility for taking back control here after the split.
Way back when I was a Boy Sprout I undertook my fireman badge. Part of that was the ready identification of fire extinguishers for the appropriate sort of fire. All different colours, but instantly recognized by most people.
Cream - Foam, Black - Carbon Dioxide, Red - Water et al. But come harmonization regulations all extinguishers have to be a uniform colour.
Now to ensure that I get the correct type I have to read the labels!
That alone leads me towards the out door.
Have we got to a safe number yet? TTFN MM
mjr

Post by mjr »

merseymouth wrote:Part of that was the ready identification of fire extinguishers for the appropriate sort of fire. All different colours, but instantly recognized by most people.
Cream - Foam, Black - Carbon Dioxide, Red - Water et al. But come harmonization regulations all extinguishers have to be a uniform colour.

Safe number of what?

Is stopping the stupid ablist colour-coding of fire extinguishers and requiring clear labelling an EU thing, then? If so, as someone with different colour perception, as well as a sometimes drug-limited memory, that's a +1 for the EU then!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

mjr wrote:
merseymouth wrote:Part of that was the ready identification of fire extinguishers for the appropriate sort of fire. All different colours, but instantly recognized by most people.

Safe number of what?

Is stopping the stupid ablist colour-coding of fire extinguishers and requiring clear labelling an EU thing, then? If so, as someone with different colour perception, as well as a sometimes drug-limited memory, that's a +1 for the EU then!

Beyond 666. Check.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

RickH wrote:
Mick F wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:Have you sorted your driving license?
From March 29 you cannot drive in Europe on the UK Licence..... you need an international one
Not quite true.
You can drive on a UK licence in all(?) countries of the world, and could do so in Europe before the EU was formed.

No doubt there are/were restrictions regarding time there. Just visiting or on holiday is/was fine.

the AA wrote: You don’t need an IDP in every country – it’s recommended or required in around 140, including the USA.(link)

This page lists the countries where one is required.

ABTA is advising differently for those driving abroad....

As long as you have a full UK driving licence, you don’t currently need an additional licence to drive in the EU. This is likely to change in a no-deal scenario. UK travellers looking to drive in the EU on or after 29 March 2019 may need to apply for the relevant International Driving Permit.

These cost £5.50 and are available directly from the AA, the RAC or the Post Office. The Government is working to extend the network of Post Offices where you can apply for an International Driving Permit, and has plans to roll these out in more branches across the UK from 1 February 2019.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:

Safe number of what?

The different colouring for different type of extinguisher was very useful. When I worked as a fridge engineer we had several different types and when needed you had to grab one quickly not mess about reading a label. It certainly wasn't stupid to have them in different colours. Amongst the production workers in the factory it was ideal too. Far more likely to find one who couldn't read the labels rather than distinguish between colour.
If, as appears, Brexiters are claiming the changing of fire extinguisher colours as a benefit of leaving the EU it really highlights the weakness of their case.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi, I was asked for a reason of how the E.U. controls us. I give an instance then I get ridiculed for not providing a manifesto sized file!
I ask you a question - How as the E.U. enhanced my life? MM
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

merseymouth wrote:Hi, I was asked for a reason of how the E.U. controls us. I give an instance then I get ridiculed for not providing a manifesto sized file!

A really convincing argument you have there,it's totally changed my outlook on how the EU has totally dominated the UK :roll:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

As far as I can tell from a quick bit of googling, fire extinguishers can still be colour coded with a coloured band and (not surprisingly) there is a justifiable reason for making them all post box red.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pete75 wrote:
mjr wrote:

Safe number of what?

The different colouring for different type of extinguisher was very useful. When I worked as a fridge engineer we had several different types and when needed you had to grab one quickly not mess about reading a label. It certainly wasn't stupid to have them in different colours. Amongst the production workers in the factory it was ideal too. Far more likely to find one who couldn't read the labels rather than distinguish between colour.
If, as appears, Brexiters are claiming the changing of fire extinguisher colours as a benefit of leaving the EU it really highlights the weakness of their case.

In bad light or smoke one might not be able to identify them
Best to have great big simple text in black/white/fluorescent
Post 9 999 :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
pete75 wrote:
mjr wrote:Safe number of what?

In bad light or smoke it's harder to read the text which isn't usually very big.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
sizbut

Post by sizbut »

Yay... 10,000 posts. Well done everyone. Now get back to your Christmas shopping and hopes that your drone in under the tree.

And for those already making New Year's resolutions; remember, no backstops.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

merseymouth wrote:Hi, I was asked for a reason of how the E.U. controls us. I give an instance then I get ridiculed for not providing a manifesto sized file!

Dunno enough about you to answer that :wink:
I could tell you how it enhanced my life, Plus 99

It has enabled and encouraged a lot of unnecessary industry and transport, -1
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 21 Dec 2018, 9:00pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pete75 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
pete75 wrote:

In bad light or smoke it's harder to read the text which isn't usually very big.

Why are you so argumentative? :wink:
I wrote: great - big- simple text in b/w/f
(You could have just Plus Oned my post)
They could be colour coded as well, and with tactile marks in case of complete darkness, why not? Colour-coding is ableism, comparable to racism, increases danger. The EU did me some good, got me thinking about fire-extinguishers (answer to mm)
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

pete75 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Simples.....

mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I dont know if I should believe what the news broadcasters say any more

"The Labour leader insisted that even if his party won a snap general election in the new year, he would seek to go to Brussels and try to secure a better deal – if possible, in time to allow Brexit to go ahead on 29 March."

if true what fanstasy world is he living in?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/21/jeremy-corbyn-labour-policy-leaving-eu?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZW5kLTE4MTIyMg%3D%3D&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email