** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
horizon wrote:
Johnocyprus wrote:Is it time to wrap this thread up? We’re going to leave the EU. Can we move on?

I went through a mental list of all my extended family and was hard pressed to find anyone who wasn't directly or indirectly affected by Brexit and has practical difficulties to face and will have for years to come. Wrapping it up for us isn't an option.

Not a dig Horizon, but are you saying that they are dependant partly on the EU.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:...are you saying that they are dependant partly on the EU.

We all are
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Polisman wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:When the Bill of departure is signed at the end of January we will be out. Johnson can easily get it through now. Then the trade negotiation started.

We'll be neither in nor out. IF the departure Bill is voted through in January, it will be the start of a long transition period to get the trade agreement. Like I said, it took Canada 7 years to get a relatively simple trade deal with EU, the deal the UK will have to strike well be infinite more complex. Think 10-15 years and you'll be part way there.

A lot of people on this forum will be dead and buried, before brexit is finally 'done'. Believe the lies of Boris all you like, but it ain't happening any time soon.

This will be the first lie of Boris's "promises" to be exposed.Cue all the supporters of brexit who voted Tory to start shouting "I didn't vote for this" on Feb 1st :roll:
Then it will dawn on them that they fell for (yet another)lie/con when the NHS is is slowly but surely sold off and as well was still being in the EU they have to pay for medical Insurance too :oops:
Thanks though guys......I really appreciate being dragged into your sh!t-storm.....honestly I really do :|
I really hoped that after suffering through Thatcherism my kids would never have to go through anything that bad...40 years on and its worse....much worse :oops:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The best part...

The EU are planning to introduce an environmental border tax. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-clim ... SKBN1YE1C4

The USA on the other hand, have said unequivocally that the UK can't even mention the environment. This was in the leaked documents. The media have been talking about the NHS. But on the environment, the UK is now in an impossible situation.

UK inquired about the possibility of including reference to climate change in a future UK-US trade agreement given that the UK has a strong historical stance on climate change and pushed strongly for the Paris Agreement. UK also highlighted the pressure for this that would come from civil society and NGOs. US responded emphatically that climate change is the most political (sensitive) question for the US, stating it is a ‘lightning rod issue’, mentioning that as of 2015, USTR are bound by Congress not to include mention of greenhouse gas emission reductions in trade agreements. US stated this ban would not be lifted anytime soon.

https://www.globaljustice.org.uk/news/2 ... evelations
https://www.thecanary.co/uk/analysis/20 ... ade-talks/
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Vorpal wrote:The best part...

The EU are planning to introduce an environmental border tax. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-clim ... SKBN1YE1C4

The USA on the other hand, have said unequivocally that the UK can't even mention the environment. This was in the leaked documents. The media have been talking about the NHS. But on the environment, the UK is now in an impossible situation.

UK inquired about the possibility of including reference to climate change in a future UK-US trade agreement given that the UK has a strong historical stance on climate change and pushed strongly for the Paris Agreement. UK also highlighted the pressure for this that would come from civil society and NGOs. US responded emphatically that climate change is the most political (sensitive) question for the US, stating it is a ‘lightning rod issue’, mentioning that as of 2015, USTR are bound by Congress not to include mention of greenhouse gas emission reductions in trade agreements. US stated this ban would not be lifted anytime soon.

https://www.globaljustice.org.uk/news/2 ... evelations
https://www.thecanary.co/uk/analysis/20 ... ade-talks/

This taking back control malarkey is great, isn't it?
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

bovlomov wrote:The unquestioning amplifying of anonymous Downing St sources, setting the talking points for the whole day. It happened throughout the campaign (and indeed for months) on all sorts of stories. The decision that Labour's anti-semitism was worth headlines throughout the day, while Tory xenophobia is ignored. The political correspondents' policy of never challenging demonstrable lies - obviously a benefit to a party that has nothing but lies. A bias towards Brexity BBCQT panelists and audience members. Laura Kuenssberg's gushing and embarrassing profile of Johnson. The repeated interviewing of people known to be hostile to Corbyn (John Mann, Ian Austin and co).

It's not that any of those single items should have been excluded, or not even that all of the anti-Labour coverage was untrue. But it is in the selection of stories and their prominence that the propaganda is done.

If anyone has any credible evidence to show the BBC has been anti-Brexit or pro-Labour, I'd like to see it. I mean - Marr, Robinson, Kuenssberg, Neill?

From what I've seen I agree about the pro-Tory bias (or am I just very anti-Tory? :lol: ), certainly I've never 'got' the Antisemitism nonsense. But that bias been there for years, while the Tories have only been seen as the major Leave party for a short time. Labour were officially pro-leave in the 2017 campaign, and never really got around to saying otherwise. Most of the Tories originally campaigned to remain, unsurprisingly as they took us into the EU in the first place in '93 (and got emphatically booted out at the following election - though to be fair that's likely to be a coincidence).
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

So, exactly as predicted, far from Brexit being done, Sterling goes rapidly south as it dawns upon the markets that we’re immediately back to a cliff edge of uncertainty over the (lack of) extension to the transition.

The Conservative’s absurd longstanding negotiation tactic of “give us what we want or we’ll kneecap ourselves” is the gift that keeps on giving.

Last time around this resulted in a last minute U-turn to impose a border in the Irish sea. What betrayal will come this time? Where is the stability and investment promised in the election campaign?
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

roubaixtuesday wrote:So, exactly as predicted, far from Brexit being done, Sterling goes rapidly south as it dawns upon the markets that we’re immediately back to a cliff edge of uncertainty over the (lack of) extension to the transition.

The BBC headlined the rise in Sterling after the exit poll was published as "a surge".
It went up a couple (3 for a while) of points.

Now it has fallen back to almost pre election levels against many currencies.
But there's no mention of it on the BBC
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

PDQ Mobile wrote:The BBC headlined the rise in Sterling after the exit poll was published as "a surge".

Entirely untrue

It's headlined here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/business-50756676
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:The BBC headlined the rise in Sterling after the exit poll was published as "a surge".

Entirely untrue

It's headlined here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/business-50756676

When i said headlined I meant the main home page headline. Which is where surge in pound was placed. So in that sense it is true.

And it is a discrepancy.
And discrepancies can win elections!

I don't look at the business stuff much.
I should have looked.

But that's all dandy then.
Except for the pound of course!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

What matters now isn't if brexit will happen but what kind of brexit is best fornthe country as a whole.I see that Mark Carney believes a no deal brexit is less likely,I hope he's right.And I hope brexit will be as soft as humanly possible.
We'll see.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

reohn2 wrote:What matters now isn't if brexit will happen but what kind of brexit is best fornthe country as a whole.I see that Mark Carney believes a no deal brexit is less likely,I hope he's right.And I hope brexit will be as soft as humanly possible.
We'll see.

Mostly I agree with Mark Carney but on this I disagree.
I still think we will leave without a deal. The timescale Boris is aiming for doesn't support leaving with a deal
The other reason is Trump would much prefer we don't have deal with the EU, this gives him greater strength in any trade deals with the UK.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

francovendee wrote:
reohn2 wrote:What matters now isn't if brexit will happen but what kind of brexit is best fornthe country as a whole.I see that Mark Carney believes a no deal brexit is less likely,I hope he's right.And I hope brexit will be as soft as humanly possible.
We'll see.

Mostly I agree with Mark Carney but on this I disagree.
I still think we will leave without a deal. The timescale Boris is aiming for doesn't support leaving with a deal
The other reason is Trump would much prefer we don't have deal with the EU, this gives him greater strength in any trade deals with the UK.

Sadly you could be right,but never say never eh? :wink:
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PDQ Mobile wrote:.

And it is a discrepancy.
And discrepancies can win elections!
Even with bad selections

I don't look at the business stuff much.
I should have looked.
Then you'd be really stuffed

But that's all dandy then.
Except for the pound of course!
The Dandy won't help them...
...or should that be us

My bold,sorry :wink:
W H Auden
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
The BBC headlined the rise in Sterling after the exit poll was published as "a surge".

Well I heard it on the BBC earlier today so check your facts please.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)