** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
kwackers

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by kwackers »

Mick F wrote:
kwackers wrote:Since when has abstaining been classed as a vote for the winners?
Never, as far as I'm aware.
Abstaining is counted as having no preference.

Abstain:
formally decline to vote either for or against a proposal or motion

So we agree then since my comment was a counter claim to merseymouths assertion that abstaining was a vote in favour of the outcome - a: "I'm not abstaining, I'm voting for the winning side" sort of thing...
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Mick F wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:You did support her, in the most important way possible for a politician. You voted for her.
If I voted Labour, would that mean that I support:
1. Corbyn?
2. The Labour Party?
3. Just my MP?

It would mean that you have supported these, obviously.

Note exactly how Corbyn has used victory in Peterborough to bolster his position.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We've returned to the same argument at maybe a thousand pages back.
If I don't like Corbyn or what he stands for, but my local Labour candidate is superb and really really interested in his/her local area and is a fantastic enthusiastic wonderful honest hard-working person, would I vote Labour?
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mick F wrote:
Cugel wrote:I would argue that any decline in Blighty has been despite the best efforts of the EU to stem it. The decline is so obviously due to neoliberalism. (Go on, look it up).

On the other hand, neoliberalism has a firm grip of the EU!. Not as firm as it's grip on the Tories and New Labour, mind.
I cannot disagree with you on this.

Blame Thatcher and her ilk.

Despite Churchill and more recent advocates of Empire I see the sun setting on these islands outside of the EU. Unless we decide to fill a modest place on the planet, playing to inventive strengths and using them wisely, such as leading in all things green and in matters of justice and fairness, rather than inequality, financial services, off shore tax havens and playing at soldiers and pretending we are a great nuclear power.
John
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Mick F wrote:We've returned to the same argument at maybe a thousand pages back.
If I don't like Corbyn or what he stands for, but my local Labour candidate is superb and really really interested in his/her local area and is a fantastic enthusiastic wonderful honest hard-working person, would I vote Labour?

It's up to you how you vote Mick.

You voted for Widdecombe and in doing so you supported her views.

You handed her the platform, and she immediately used it to proclaim her bigotry.

Your vote, take responsibility for the consequences.

Like Brexit. You voted for it, it's been a total shambles. Take responsibility.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

roubaixtuesday wrote:Like Brexit. You voted for it, it's been a total shambles. Take responsibility.
I'm not responsible for the shambles, it's parliament who are the shambles.
We're all responsible for electing them.
Mick F. Cornwall
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Some of the views expressed* here are beyond belief: you couldn't make it up...voting to leave the EU is bad enough, how anyone could vote for Farage's new party - supported by rich crooks like Aaron Banks is beyond beyond belief.

God help us.

John.

*new party...rings a bell...New Party...British Union of Fascists...

*expressed in the loosest sense, for example the white-bearded pasty-man never supports his opinion with anything remotely resembling a fact.
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

Hobbs1951 wrote:Some of the views expressed* here are beyond belief: you couldn't make it up...voting to leave the EU is bad enough, how anyone could vote for Farage's new party - supported by rich crooks like Aaron Banks is beyond beyond belief.

God help us.

John.

*expressed in the loosest sense, for example the white-bearded pasty-man never supports his opinion with anything remotely resembling a fact.

More hysteria based opinion
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Mick F wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:Like Brexit. You voted for it, it's been a total shambles. Take responsibility.

The promises of the Brexit campaign were undeliverable.

Blaming parliament for not delivering the undeliverable is an abdication of responsibility.

The mess is the responsibility of the leave campaigners and voters.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

To be fair, the mess is the responsibility of TM's immediate predecessor, Dave who called the referendum without thinking it through. Presumably, he was so confident of a Remain result that he never considered the way the campaign would be run, or the impossibility of Parliament delivering something for which there was neither a plan, nor the possibility of one with countless different interpretations of the Leave vote.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oldjohnw wrote:Despite Churchill and more recent advocates of Empire I see the sun setting on these islands outside of the EU. Unless we decide to fill a modest place on the planet, playing to inventive strengths and using them wisely, such as leading in all things green and in matters of justice and fairness, rather than inequality, financial services, off shore tax havens and playing at soldiers and pretending we are a great nuclear power.

I can't argue with any of that.
Though what's the chances?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Hobbs1951 wrote:Some of the views expressed* here are beyond belief: you couldn't make it up...voting to leave the EU is bad enough, how anyone could vote for Farage's new party - supported by rich crooks like Aaron Banks is beyond beyond belief.

God help us.

John.

Indeed!
If there were a God we'd It's help alright as we can't even see ourselves what's good for us :?
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:

Yes you are,in part at least,along with all the other Brexit voters who thought this mess was going to be all so,so easymto implement.
Own your responsibility along with the rest 'em
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:To be fair, the mess is the responsibility of TM's immediate predecessor, Dave who called the referendum without thinking it through. Presumably, he was so confident of a Remain result that he never considered the way the campaign would be run, or the impossibility of Parliament delivering something for which there was neither a plan, nor the possibility of one with countless different interpretations of the Leave vote.

Agreed,but the likes of MickF and NA voted for Brexit without even considering why,other than 'gut feeling' and 'because I don't like the EU' no other plausable reason :?
It's like dealing with children who can't or won't explain their reasoning,the miller full of puff and wind,MM and Al-rpal are of a similar ilk,no convincing argument and in most cases such completely laughable excuses they make my sides sore with laughter.
The mess was set in motion by the idiot Cameron but put into action by these people who allowed themselves to be led into it by the likes of Farage,Gov and BoJo.
If it weren't such a tragedy it'd make a good TV comedy........
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

windmiller wrote:

God help us.

John.

More hysteria based opinion

You're half right. It is opinion but hysteria based it is not.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker