** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by pete75 »

Psamathe wrote:Interesting use of language

Why does he feel it necessary to add the word "elite". Does he think that Reece-Mogg is not part of an "elite", or all those other Eton/Oxbridge educated millionaires fighting to Leave - not part of an "elite"?

Ian

What makes £450 million net worth Tim Martin think he isn't part of an "elite"?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

kwackers wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Am I missing something? or is this "eliminate import tariffs" just a recipe for the rich to get richer.

Ian

It's a simplistic cry designed to rally folk who find thinking tedious.
Only thing I haven't figured out is whether TM is a simpleton or if he's playing his audience.

I noticed in his latest splurge he was suggesting we'd have the £39bn to offset the loss - which does suggest "simpleton", since any businessperson worth their salt would know that the actual number was a lot smaller now and that simply not paying money you owe someone is hardly good practice particularly if you need their business in the future.

Then there's the obvious damage to our own businesses that simply wouldn't be able to compete against cheap imports whilst our exports would be bound by the tariffs others would inflict on them.
As they start to fold and lay folk off then is he expecting more patrons for his cheap food 'n grub or has he simply not thought it through?

My initial verdict on him was "tosser" and so far I've seen nothing that changes that.

A friend who owns a small brewery once supplied some beer to Wetherspoons. They eventually paid what they owed him but it took a long time.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Carlton green

When will Article 50 be repealed, and if so how will it come about?

Post by Carlton green »

Brexit is, I find, a somewhat nasty and divisive topic which I wouldn’t normally touch with a ten foot barge pole. However, with the recent upsets in Parliament in mind, I just wonder how long it will be before article fifty (notice) is repealed - my own view is irrelevant and I’m not giving it. If there is bias in the question then it’s due to clumsy wording rather than intent.

What’s the informed opinion about what’s likely to happen and how It will come about ?? For clarification what you’d like to happen is a separate question and not the one that that I’m asking - answers to that one elsewhere please.
Last edited by Carlton green on 13 Sep 2019, 4:45pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Psamathe

Re: When will Article 50 be repealed and if so how?

Post by Psamathe »

There is already a Brexit thread running. A single thread was started to avoid multiple threads as this is a cycling forum and some who were not interested in more political discussion were getting irritated by lots of similar threads - hence keeping it (Brexit discussions) all in the one thread
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=108977

Ian
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Psamathe wrote:There is already a Brexit thread running. A single thread was started to avoid multiple threads as this is a cycling forum and some who were not interested in more political discussion were getting irritated by lots of similar threads - hence keeping it (Brexit discussions) all in the one thread

Ian

That’s indeed true. The thread is massive and no doubt full of polarised views. My question is specific and hence the reason for asking it in a separate thread. I appreciate some members not wanting to hear yet more about Brexit (usually I’m one of them, the comments are too often unhelpful or even just plain offensive) and there are many other topics too that I just ignore and let others read if they want to.
Last edited by Carlton green on 13 Sep 2019, 4:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Carlton green wrote:
Psamathe wrote:There is already a Brexit thread running. A single thread was started to avoid multiple threads as this is a cycling forum and some who were not interested in more political discussion were getting irritated by lots of similar threads - hence keeping it (Brexit discussions) all in the one thread

Ian

That’s indeed true. The thread is massive and no doubt full of polarised views. My question is specific and hence the reason for asking it in a separate thread.

And then we get back to the quite reasonable complaints from people who don't want cycling discussion on a cycling forum and it starts up that political threads should be banned and it all gets nasty. We've been through that on a repeating periodic basis and centralising to a single thread has worked well and allowed non-cycling discussions to continue without antagonising others.

Is your question so important that you feel it worth breaking something that has been working well for some time.

There are a lot of contributors to this forum who don't like the political discussion and think it should be banned. More different political threads starts predominating/swamping the "New Posts" page which rightly makes it harder for them to get to what the visit for i.e. cycling discussions.

Hence centralising the political discussions into several broad threads (e.g. Brexit, Trump). Maybe as a new member you've not seen the periodic "ban political/non-cycling threads" but with multiple threads on different aspects of the same broad subject it was a regular outcry (and a justified one).

Ian
Carlton green

Re: When will Article 50 be repealed, and if so how will it come about?

Post by Carlton green »

I take your point and now it’s a matter for moderation by those in charge of the forum. Perhaps at some point they will feel that there should be a very separate section for some topics, I can certainly think of several threads that have been intended to be very political in nature. My question is somewhat more open.
Psamathe

Re: When will Article 50 be repealed, and if so how will it come about?

Post by Psamathe »

Maybe have a look at the Brexit thread and you'll see how open it is, how many different aspects have been considered and discussed. And most aspects of Brexit overlap other aspects.

The question you raise is incredibly broad and the existing Brexit thread already includes ongoing discussions of pretty well all those aspects.So this thread is in virtually all respects a duplicate of an existing thread.

Ian
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

kwackers wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Am I missing something? or is this "eliminate import tariffs" just a recipe for the rich to get richer.

Ian

It's a simplistic cry designed to rally folk who find thinking tedious.
Only thing I haven't figured out is whether TM is a simpleton or if he's playing his audience.

I noticed in his latest splurge he was suggesting we'd have the £39bn to offset the loss - which does suggest "simpleton", since any businessperson worth their salt would know that the actual number was a lot smaller now and that simply not paying money you owe someone is hardly good practice particularly if you need their business in the future.

Then there's the obvious damage to our own businesses that simply wouldn't be able to compete against cheap imports whilst our exports would be bound by the tariffs others would inflict on them.
As they start to fold and lay folk off then is he expecting more patrons for his cheap food 'n grub or has he simply not thought it through?

My initial verdict on him was "tosser" and so far I've seen nothing that changes that.

Shouldn't that be plying his audience?

He sells his cheapest beer at a cut-price so that his audience get drunk and believe his ranting
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

the Brexit chaos is even trickling down to the wild life. getting them worried?

Will the shortages affect my food?
Will the shortages affect my food?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Looks like we'll have to endure the person that started all this madness for the next week or so. "For The Recod" (Cameron's fantasy history explaining his perfection?) - but not looking good at the moment
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/13/for-the-record-signs-of-trouble-before-david-cameron-book-hits-shelves wrote:The stakes are high for everyone involved. “A car crash” was the view of a senior publisher at a rival to HarperCollins
Signs of trouble are already there. Some independent bookshops say they will not be stocking the £25 hardback, often out of deference to left-leaning or remain-backing customers. In the eyes of many, the chaos of the last three years will forever be linked to the hubris of the Etonian former Tory leader
Another indicator is pre-orders: the bookranked as low as 335 in the Amazon charts as recently as Thursday.

And trying to promote his book a bit he's started lashing out at Piffle and others

Maybe Cameron needs to remember
and Piffle is alumni ...

Ian
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

mercalia wrote:the Brexit chaos is even trickling down to the wild life. getting them worried?

oh my.JPG

The Government otter have known better?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Psamathe wrote:Looks like we'll have to endure the person that started all this madness for the next week or so. "For The Recod" (Cameron's fantasy history explaining his perfection?) - but not looking good at the moment
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/13/for-the-record-signs-of-trouble-before-david-cameron-book-hits-shelves wrote:The stakes are high for everyone involved. “A car crash” was the view of a senior publisher at a rival to HarperCollins
Signs of trouble are already there. Some independent bookshops say they will not be stocking the £25 hardback, often out of deference to left-leaning or remain-backing customers. In the eyes of many, the chaos of the last three years will forever be linked to the hubris of the Etonian former Tory leader
Another indicator is pre-orders: the bookranked as low as 335 in the Amazon charts as recently as Thursday.

And trying to promote his book a bit he's started lashing out at Piffle and others

Maybe Cameron needs to remember
and Piffle is alumni ...

Ian

i'll pick up my copy when it ends up in Oxfam's. Any one know is it shiney paper? ( should last a couple of years @700 pages long) :wink:
Last edited by mercalia on 13 Sep 2019, 8:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

It's all  his fault!
It's all his fault!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mercalia wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Looks like we'll have to endure the person that started all this madness for the next week or so. "For The Recod" (Cameron's fantasy history explaining his perfection?) - but not looking good at the moment

Ian

i'll pick up my copy when it ends up in Oxfam's. Any one know is it shiney paper? :wink:

I wont. I'm not interested spending my time reading an overprivileged incompetent's efforts to patch over such a massive disaster he created for the UK. I actually find it quite amusing when these entitled twerps thonk they are literary geniuses, write a book and it flops. Like Moggs
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/jacob-rees-mogg-victorians-book-panned-critics-reviews-a8920801.html wrote:Jacob Rees-Mogg's new book on the Victorians universally panned by critics

Conservative MP Jacob Rees-Mogg’s new book has been savaged by the critics, who have dismissed his tribute to the Victorians as “staggeringly silly”, “sentimental jingoism” and “so terrible”.

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/jacob-rees-mogg-book-victorians-general-napier-review/ wrote:Jacob Rees-Mogg criticised as ‘morally repellent’ for defending Victorian colonialist General Napier in widely panned book

Ian