** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
windmiller

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by windmiller »

Even the bookmakers got the result drastically wrong. They are usually much more accurate than pollsters as they can't afford not to be
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Thread trimmed again :(

Please refrain from personal attacks, implying others are simple, etc. It makes my life & moderating this thread much easier. Moderators are volunteers, and work to maintain the forum primarily as a resource for cyclists.

If personal attacks continue, it will result in one or more of the following:
-the attacker(s) being banned either temporarily or permanently from the forum
-the thread being locked
-continued, and possibly less tolerant pruning of the thread
-complete removal of this thread

Increasingly, valid points are being removed because either the post includes personal attacks, or a response to them, and it simply takes too much time to sift the valid, reasonably stated points from petty sniping.

I'm frankly getting fed up with it.

p.s. an additional appeal to use the quote function, so if we do have to prune stuff, we can easily tell who said what
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

windmiller wrote:Even the bookmakers got the result drastically wrong. They are usually much more accurate than pollsters as they can't afford not to be

I thought bookmakers start with a guestimate and then as the money comes in adjust the odds accordingly.
If everyone who bet did so on a leave victory then that would indicate a leave victory was very likely, ditto the opposite.

You could argue its the same system pollsters use, i.e. large scale sampling with the main difference being how self selection manifests itself in the two forms.
Overall though I'd go with pollsters over bookies, I think the science behind polling allows you to make some adjustment for self selection. Bookies otoh have no easy way to figure it out.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I know little about bookmakers and betting shops - never having darkened their doors - but I thought it was received wisdom, that if the favourite wins, the bookies lose out. Conversely, if an outsider wins, bookies net a big profit.

So if the bookies made Remain the favourite, on short odds, quietly expecting Leave to win, they were on to a winner.

Proves nothing.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

661-Pete wrote:I know little about bookmakers and betting shops - never having darkened their doors - but I thought it was received wisdom, that if the favourite wins, the bookies lose out. Conversely, if an outsider wins, bookies net a big profit.

So if the bookies made Remain the favourite, on short odds, quietly expecting Leave to win, they were on to a winner.

Proves nothing.

Don't bookies lay off bets to minimise risk? So even if they do lose, it'll be a comparatively small loss. Any bookie that took bets for only one horse in a two horse race would soon be bankrupt if it didn't spread the risk.

Yes, it proves nothing - least of all about the expectations of Remainers.
andrec

Post by andrec »

Bookmakers wouldn't offer odds on a race which was run again and again until the right winner emerged.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

windmiller wrote:Even the bookmakers got the result drastically wrong. They are usually much more accurate than pollsters as they can't afford not to be

Does the fact you've changed the subject from polls to bookmakers mean you accept the reality that the pre referendum polls were accurate?

Or, if not, could you post some evidence for your assertions?
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

andrec wrote:Bookmakers wouldn't offer odds on a race which was run again and again until the right winner emerged.

When bookmakers suspect fraud, they don't pay out and they call the police.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Lovely review here, of Rod Liddle's book, The Great Betrayal.

In short, Liddle complains of an elite contemptuous of ordinary British citizens. That's now, but in 2014 Liddle's book, Selfish, Whining Monkeys he describes Britain as “a nation of broken families clamouring about their entitlements siring ill-educated and undisciplined kids unfamiliar with the concept of right and wrong” and he writes of "the hulking fat tattooed chavmonkey standing in the queue at Burger King”...and so on.

Could it be that much of the outrage about the attitude of the liberal elite is manufactured? Clearly, in Liddle's case it is.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

This sums it up...
F140877F-4C87-4E88-9E06-F827D1306211.jpeg
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Paulatic wrote:This sums it up...

+ 10
John
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

661-Pete wrote:The error in the predictions of opinion polls, as compared with the actual result in June 2016, wasn't as great as all that. It may have been bigger than the sampling error in some cases, but not by many sigmas.

It may be that the actual number of mind-changers - from Leave to Remain - is not as great as some polls predict. But I still maintain that there are a significant number.

And don't forget that the pollsters in USA correctly forecast that Clinton would get the larger number of votes. They didn't correctly account for gerrymandering of course...

The US Presidency and the number of votes have not correlated for may years
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cunobelin wrote:The US Presidency and the number of votes have not correlated for may years
The procedure they follow strongly reminds me of this sketch:
https://youtu.be/cVhocDlrD7c?t=480
Enjoy!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
andrec

Post by andrec »

Paulatic wrote:This sums it up...

She's going to lose everything she has? I doubt it. She'll lose her local MEPs and that's about it, and if I'd asked her the name of those MEPs five years ago I'd be have been willing to bet she couldn't name them. She is obviously one of those apocalyptic Remainers with no sense of proportion or perspective.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hello all :D , Can't seem to find any response to my "Quantitive Easing" cost query? I wonder why???
Maybe it cost UK Ltd nothing at all? Maybe the banks were merely crying wolf! IGICB MM