** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
mercalia wrote:
pwa wrote:We now have the entertaining prospect of May cobbling together the numbers to pass her plan (with noses firmly held) but being prevented from holding a vote by Bercow. And the result being known as Bercow's No Deal.

That scenario still requires May to get the numbers and that is hard to imagine at this point.

she is clearly quite mad as are many of the mps? any sensible person would have stepped back to reflect and called the whole dismall show off as a flop? I just hope Bercow keeps his nerve, he is one of the few sane people there? I wouldnt put it past her to default to a no deal out of spite. I keep on thinking of the expences scandal, the country would be better off place without many of them?

Not our dear leader's style at all.

Nope,her style is target fixation no matter how unreachable,un manageable,or down right stupid that target May be.
Tens of thousands,ring any bells?
The woman and her party are proof positive the lunatics are fully in charge of the very ornate asylum,complete with quite large clock tower to count down the minutes on.
Where's Guy Fawkes when you need him,eh?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:The panto season comes round quicker every year............ :wink:

But it's not much fun when the country is the ar*e end of the horse :wink:
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

could we get her sectioned? :cry:

so she intends to carry on :shock: bring back her deal

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47620235
Last edited by mercalia on 19 Mar 2019, 9:36am, edited 2 times in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:[....... The country fell into the hands of someone only capable of making a very bad situation infinitely worse....

It makes you wonder if Mother Theresa has any conceivable idea just how bad she is at her job,first she makes a complete pig's ear out of Home Sec then blinded by the lights of the biggy job of PM allows herself to be manoeuvred into it when no one else would touch it with a bargepole.
Then proceeds to put the country on the teetering edge of disaster whilst her party stands around and allows her.
You definitely couldn't make it up.
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

reohn2 wrote:
mercalia wrote:[....... The country fell into the hands of someone only capable of making a very bad situation infinitely worse....

It makes you wonder if Mother Theresa has any conceivable idea just how bad she is at her job,

Whilst not disagreeing with that, I think it's important to not lay it all at her door. The Benn/Cooper amendment last week that would have given Parliament control over the process was defeated.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

It makes you wonder if Mother Theresa has any conceivable idea just how bad she is at her job,

Whilst not disagreeing with that, I think it's important to not lay it all at her door. The Benn/Cooper amendment last week that would have given Parliament control over the process was defeated.

Which doesn't surprise me in the least in a house stuffed full of self seeking morons(bar a few)set only on their own agendas rather than what's best for the country as a whole.
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

reohn2 wrote:
PH wrote:
reohn2 wrote:It makes you wonder if Mother Theresa has any conceivable idea just how bad she is at her job,

Which doesn't surprise me in the least in a house stuffed full of self seeking morons(bar a few)set only on their own agendas rather than what's best for the country as a whole.

Wasn't the Benn/Cooper amendment whipped against? It's hardly a surprise if some MPs will buckle under persuasion and sometimes pressure from May's officers explaining to them why not taking back control is what's best for the country as a whole, or at least what's best for their future.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mjr wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
PH wrote:Whilst not disagreeing with that, I think it's important to not lay it all at her door. The Benn/Cooper amendment last week that would have given Parliament control over the process was defeated.

Wasn't the Benn/Cooper amendment whipped against? It's hardly a surprise if some MPs will buckle under persuasion and sometimes pressure from May's officers explaining to them why not taking back control is what's best for the country as a whole, or at least what's best for their future.

Absolutely nothing would surprise me in the present pantomime season :?
W H Auden
horizon

Post by horizon »

I'm not sure I agree with all the invective against May. She managed to get a deal agreed with the EU which has the support of the bulk of her own MPs and actually appeals broadly to the stated aims of the party opposite. And, as she would say, delivers Brexit.

The problem is Brexit, not May. Compromise on an in/out issue is almost impossible and the consequences of out weren't fully realised at the time of the referendum. The so-called "mess we are in" is a reflection of that and I simply don't believe anyone else would have done it much better.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
PH

Post by PH »

mjr wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
PH wrote:Whilst not disagreeing with that, I think it's important to not lay it all at her door. The Benn/Cooper amendment last week that would have given Parliament control over the process was defeated.

I don't know. Whipped by which party?
It had Labour support and Corbyn would have withdrawn the Labour amendment if this one had passed. Lost by 2 votes with 6 Labour MP's voting against it and I'm at a loss to understand why. It wasn't for or against leaving, even committed leaver Dennis Skinner voted for it, it was simply for getting away from the current dogma and putting the MP's in charge.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

horizon wrote:I'm not sure I agree with all the invective against May. She managed to get a deal agreed with the EU which has the support of the bulk of her own MPs and actually appeals broadly to the stated aims of the party opposite. And, as she would say, delivers Brexit.

The problem is Brexit, not May. Compromise on an in/out issue is almost impossible and the consequences of out weren't fully realised at the time of the referendum. The so-called "mess we are in" is a reflection of that and I simply don't believe anyone else would have done it much better.

Oh really!
You don't think the past two and half years has been mismanaged on such a grand scale as to make The Muppet show look true to life drama!
This woman and her party since 2009 have lead this country to point of disaster,I know you're a moderate and thi king chap but c'mon this is a joke and the UK is the brunt of it.
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
horizon wrote:I'm not sure I agree with all the invective against May. She managed to get a deal agreed with the EU which has the support of the bulk of her own MPs and actually appeals broadly to the stated aims of the party opposite. And, as she would say, delivers Brexit.

Oh really!
You don't think the past two and half years has been mismanaged on such a grand scale as to make The Muppet show look true to life drama!
This woman and her party since 2009 have lead this country to point of disaster,I know you're a moderate and thi king chap but c'mon this is a joke and the UK is the brunt of it.

I think that's a little harsh.

The Muppets had real integrity.
mjr

Post by mjr »

PH wrote:
mjr wrote:Wasn't the Benn/Cooper amendment whipped against? It's hardly a surprise if some MPs will buckle under persuasion and sometimes pressure from May's officers explaining to them why not taking back control is what's best for the country as a whole, or at least what's best for their future.

I don't know. Whipped by which party?

Conservatives, the largest party, which I thought was why it became known as the Benn/Cooper amendment instead of Benn/Letwin, although Letwin was still one of 15 Conservative rebels (over twice as many as Labour rebels voting against...).
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

you are too easy on her. she should have known about the backstop problem or should have been advised about it 2 years ago. Anyone who wasnt power mad would not have made her mistakes as indicated in the Polly Toynbee article ie since the country was almost split down the middle not call Article 50 but knowing all the lies and distortions on the referendum campaign set up commitees of various kinds to work out whats possible. The problem was setting A50 into motion in full ignorance, her decision alone, not Brexit. If you know there is a minefield ahead and you still go ahead its on your head alone. If she was a CEO she would have been sacked along time ago.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mercalia wrote:

you are too easy on her. she should have known about the backstop problem or should have been advised about it 2 years ago. Anyone who wasnt power mad would not have made her mistakes as indicated in the Polly Toynbee article ie since the country was almost split down the middle not call Article 50 but knowing all the lies and distortions on the referendum campaign set up commitees of various kinds to work out whats possible. The problem was setting A50 into motion in full ignorance, her decision alone, not Brexit. If she was a CEO she would have been sacked along time ago

The Backstop wasn't developed at the time because of our anxiety to move on IIRC. Now we're dealing with it later, having kicked it into the long grass, as it were, we see it for the intractable issue it is.