** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
roubaixtuesday

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by roubaixtuesday »

I reserve the right from a personal perspective to label the Tory party as "evil and scum" from a lifetime of observance of it.

I very much doubt that those who make up the Tory party are either more evil or indeed prone to flotation than the public at large.
meic

Post by meic »

I doubt think this is anything to do with a "culture under attack". Working class culture is no more or less intolerant of incomers than middle or upper class. Our recently departed Foreign Secretary and his "picaninnies with watermelon smiles" can, for instance, attest to the tolerance imbued by an Eton education.

Then it would be incorrect to dismiss it as a working class only culture.

Boris Johnson isnt a good example of a leave voter mentality anyway, he only turned leave when it opened up an opportunity, rather than out of a deep-seated belief.
Yma o Hyd
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

he only turned leave when it opened up an opportunity, rather than out of a deep-seated belief.

As I understand it, the EU was extremely low on most voters concerns prior to calling the referendum.

Ascribing "deep seated belief" to most leave (or remain) voters may be mistaken. Or at least it was before this divisive farrago was kicked off.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

reohn2 wrote:
Mick F wrote:
Mick F wrote:It's all circular arguments.
I'm a Leave person, someone else will be a Remain person.
We will never agree, so there's no point in debating it.

Four hundred and nine pages now.

It shows how complex and divisive the issue is.
Divisive?
Not divisive IMHO, just differences of opinion, and that what makes the world go round.

Definitely not divisive.
That smacks of dividing people into Them and Us.
Mick F. Cornwall
meic

Post by meic »

As I understand it, the EU was extremely low on most voters concerns prior to calling the referendum.

But the main issue on the minds of enough voters to change which party would get elected into power.
Yma o Hyd
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

But the main issue on the minds of enough voters to change which party would get elected into power

No idea what you mean, can you explain?
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Divisive?
Not divisive IMHO, just differences of opinion, and that what makes the world go round.

Definitely not divisive.

Quite remarkable!
meic

Post by meic »

BrianFox wrote:
But the main issue on the minds of enough voters to change which party would get elected into power

No idea what you mean, can you explain?

12% vote for UKIP was enough votes to swing whichever of Labour or Conservative offered a referendum, at least, into power if the other party offered nothing.
Yma o Hyd
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

BrianFox wrote:
I reserve the right from a personal perspective to label the Tory party as "evil and scum" from a lifetime of observance of it.

I very much doubt that those who make up the Tory party are either more evil or indeed prone to flotation than the public at large.

The Tory party and all who sail in her are of the same stamp.
You can call that prejudice if you like but it's not without good reason.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Mick F wrote:
Four hundred and nine pages now.

Divisive?

Definitely not divisive.

Unfortunately the referendum did just that,it caused division of a nation down the middle.
W H Auden
meic

Post by meic »

It didnt in my world. I dont have any issue with Leave voters.
We lost the vote, it was a fair vote but it didnt go my way.
I live in a democracy and that is how it goes, you let the ballot box decide and live with the outcome.
Yma o Hyd
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

meic wrote:It didnt in my world. I dont have any issue with Leave voters.
We lost the vote, it was a fair vote but it didnt go my way.
I live in a democracy and that is how it goes, you let the ballot box decide and live with the outcome.

But it still divided the nation almost 50/50 on the biggest issue to face the nation since WW2,and a LOT of people didn't know what they were getting the UK into by a brexit vote.
If(small word with much riding on it)the UK crashes as a result I'll not stop reminding supporters of brexit the damage they caused.
If(again small word with much riding on it)the country prospers,I would be the first to admit I was wrong.
We'll wait and see....

EDIT to add the print in bold.
Last edited by reohn2 on 16 Jul 2018, 8:30pm, edited 3 times in total.
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

reohn2 wrote:
Mick F wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Divisive?

Definitely not divisive.

Unfortunately the referendum did just that,it caused division of a nation down the middle.

It did cause a split, that is true. But it did also allow what turned out to be a substantial proportion of the electorate to express their discontent with the EU, something that the so-called liberals would not have allowed them to do. I am disappointed in my country. Not because of the various opinions about the EU, but because of the shallowness of some people's commitment to democracy. When a vote produces a result they really can't stomach some folk believe the people should not have been asked in the first place. That sentiment makes me a little less proud of my society.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pwa wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Mick F wrote:Divisive?

Definitely not divisive.

It did cause a split, that is true. But it did also allow what turned out to be a substantial proportion of the electorate to express their discontent with the EU, something that the so-called liberals would not have allowed them to do. I am disappointed in my country. Not because of the various opinions about the EU, but because of the shallowness of some people's commitment to democracy. When a vote produces a result they really can't stomach some folk believe the people should not have been asked in the first place. That sentiment makes me a little less proud of my society.

For as long as I can remember people have been moaning about the way a vote has gone when it is not the one they wanted. That's what happens in a democracy. Your Mr. Farage is on record as saying that if it had been 52 48 the other way it would have been unfinished business.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pwa

Post by pwa »

pete75 wrote:
pwa wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

For as long as I can remember people have been moaning about the way a vote has gone when it is not the one they wanted. That's what happens in a democracy. Your Mr. Farage is on record as saying that if it had been 52 48 the other way it would have been unfinished business.

He's not mine, but his contempt for democracy makes him closer to you.