** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cunobelin

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Cunobelin »

661-Pete wrote:Sometimes I feel I can't keep up the funny side of it. Like now...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46789601
Anyone want to dispute the fact that all this is getting uglier and uglier? :evil: :evil: :evil:

I know full well whom I'd be calling "nazi scum" - though I haven't used those words on anyone - yet.

These people are simply thick aggressive louts.

They ask about her constituents......

Would they be the ones who were fully aware of her stance, yet voted her in with an increased majority..... The constituents supported her
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

661-Pete wrote:Sometimes I feel I can't keep up the funny side of it. Like now...
Anyone want to dispute the fact that all this is getting uglier and uglier? :evil: :evil: :evil:

I know full well whom I'd be calling "nazi scum" - though I haven't used those words on anyone - yet.

The public face of Leave.

How many leave voters will reflect on this?

The claim that they 'knew what they were voting for' is looking unsustainable, because this is what the leave vote represents.
pwa

Post by pwa »

mr bajokoses wrote:

The public face of Leave.

How many leave voters will reflect on this?

The claim that they 'knew what they were voting for' is looking unsustainable, because this is what the leave vote represents.

The yobs accusing a Remain supporting MP of being a Nazi are scum. So are Remain supporters who claim the yobs represent Leave supporters in general. People need to get a grip and just be decent in their exchanges of opinion. The finger pointing stuff is childish and unproductive, whichever side of the debate you are on. Let's be nice to each other.
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

pwa wrote:The yobs accusing a Remain supporting MP of being a Nazi are scum. So are Remain supporters who claim the yobs represent Leave supporters in general. People need to get a grip and just be decent in their exchanges of opinion.

I said that the leave vote represents the yobs, which I stand by. I did not say that the yobs represent leave voters. In fact I was suggesting that there may be a number of leave voters who will reflect on these yobs and wonder if that's the kind of association they wish to make. If there are to be street marches or demonstrations in support of Brexit these yobs will closely align with them.

pwa wrote:The finger pointing stuff is childish and unproductive, whichever side of the debate you are on. Let's be nice to each other.

But thanks for calling me scum, all the same.
pwa

Post by pwa »

mr bajokoses wrote:
pwa wrote:The yobs accusing a Remain supporting MP of being a Nazi are scum. So are Remain supporters who claim the yobs represent Leave supporters in general. People need to get a grip and just be decent in their exchanges of opinion.

I said that the leave vote represents the yobs, which I stand by. I did not say that the yobs represent leave voters. In fact I was suggesting that there may be a number of leave voters who will reflect on these yobs and wonder if that's the kind of association they wish to make. If there are to be street marches or demonstrations in support of Brexit these yobs will closely align with them.

pwa wrote:The finger pointing stuff is childish and unproductive, whichever side of the debate you are on. Let's be nice to each other.

But thanks for calling me scum, all the same.

Quite right and I withdraw that accusation, but I put it there to draw that comment from you. You ask Leave voters to reflect on the actions of yobs outside Parliament, as if we are all to blame. for it. I hated what happened there, and I feel no responsibility for it. Why do you blame me for it? By asking all leave voters to "reflect" you imply we all have some responsibility for it. Come on! I won't think of you as scum if you afford me the same courtesy. We differ in our views about certain things but we stand together in opposing the yobs. If we are to heal the divide we have to stop the finger pointing and work on understanding.
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

pwa wrote:You ask Leave voters to reflect on the actions of yobs outside Parliament, as if we are all to blame. for it. I hated what happened there, and I feel no responsibility for it. Why do you blame me for it? By asking all leave voters to "reflect" you imply we all have some responsibility for it. Come on! I won't think of you as scum if you afford me the same courtesy. We differ in our views about certain things but we stand together in opposing the yobs. If we are to heal the divide we have to stop the finger pointing and work on understanding.

In the spirit of understanding and healing divisions I will assume that when you voted leave you were not consciously voting for these yobs to feel free to act in this way.

Reflecting our difference in views I also suggest that opening the right-wing-thuggery box was a foreseeable consequence of the leave vote. The murder of Jo Cox was a very loud warning.

My earlier point that many leave voters did not really know what they were voting for is merely an extension of this difference of opinion, and my optimism that in fact the country does not really have 17 million supporters of right-wing thuggery. I struggle to extend the same charitable assumption to those who continue to claim that they did know what they were voting for, because, frankly, this is it.
slowster

Post by slowster »

It's glaringly obvious that that some very nasty thugs with vile 'political' beliefs have been encouraged by the Leave vote to voice their views loudly in public and seek to intimidate and threaten anyone who opposes what they want. The UK's 'First Past The Post' electoral system has previously resulted in these pond scum having no influence or traction in British politics, and they could largely just be ignored.

I suspect that as a result of the referendum result a lot of them now believe in their warped minds that their views are now mainstream and shared by millions of other British people, and that has emboldened them to escalate their behaviour.

pwa wrote: I feel no responsibility for it

Sadly and far more importantly, neither do it seems any of the politicians who led the Leave campaign. They know that they have unleashed something extremely dangerous as an indirect (and sometimes direct) result of their campaigning. They have a moral and political duty to challenge these views and condemn these behaviours, and yet they are conspicuous by their absence. They are, every last one of them, moral cowards.
Last edited by slowster on 8 Jan 2019, 11:16am, edited 1 time in total.
pwa

Post by pwa »

mr bajokoses wrote:
pwa wrote:You ask Leave voters to reflect on the actions of yobs outside Parliament, as if we are all to blame. for it. I hated what happened there, and I feel no responsibility for it. Why do you blame me for it? By asking all leave voters to "reflect" you imply we all have some responsibility for it. Come on! I won't think of you as scum if you afford me the same courtesy. We differ in our views about certain things but we stand together in opposing the yobs. If we are to heal the divide we have to stop the finger pointing and work on understanding.

In the spirit of understanding and healing divisions I will assume that when you voted leave you were not consciously voting for these yobs to feel free to act in this way.

Reflecting our difference in views I also suggest that opening the right-wing-thuggery box was a foreseeable consequence of the leave vote. The murder of Jo Cox was a very loud warning.

My earlier point that many leave voters did not really know what they were voting for is merely an extension of this difference of opinion, and my optimism that in fact the country does not really have 17 million supporters of right-wing thuggery. I struggle to extend the same charitable assumption to those who continue to claim that they did know what they were voting for, because, frankly, this is it.

I didn't vote for thuggery. I didn't vote for Farage or Boris either. I did know that a minority with unsavoury views would vote the same way as me, but I didn't want that to stop me voting the way I wanted to, for my reasons and not theirs.

Let's say there was a second referendum next week. How would you vote? Remain, of course. But that would probably trigger right wing yobs to do things you and I would not want to happen. Would knowing that change the way you vote? Of course not. It is the same with me. I vote for what I believe in. I didn't vote for yobbish behaviour and you wouldn't either. We can stand together as democrats defending free speech or we can just divide again as Remain / Leave.
pwa

Post by pwa »

slowster wrote:It's glaringly obvious that that some very nasty thugs with vile 'political' beliefs have been encouraged by the Leave vote to voice their views loudly in public and seek to intimidate and threaten anyone who opposes what they want. The UK's 'First Past The Post' electoral system has previously resulted in these pond scum having no influence or traction in British politics, and they could largely just be ignored.

I suspect that as a result of the referendum result a lot of them now believe in their warped minds that their views are now mainstream and shared by millions of other British people, and that has emboldened them to escalate their behaviour.

Sadly and far more importantly, neither do it seems any of the politicians who led the Leave campaign. They know that they have unleashed something extremely dangerous as an indirect (and sometimes direct) result of their camapigning. They have a moral and political duty to challenge these views and condemn these behaviours, and yet they are conspicuous by their absence. They are, every last one of them, moral cowards.

It's the Internet. That is what has changed. Public discourse is no longer filtered by the BBC and the Press. Extreme strands of opinion now coalesce on chat forums and reinforce themselves. The darker corners of the Daily Mail are no longer the limit for these people.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

pwa wrote:
slowster wrote:It's glaringly obvious that that some very nasty thugs with vile 'political' beliefs have been encouraged by the Leave vote to voice their views loudly in public and seek to intimidate and threaten anyone who opposes what they want. The UK's 'First Past The Post' electoral system has previously resulted in these pond scum having no influence or traction in British politics, and they could largely just be ignored.

Sadly and far more importantly, neither do it seems any of the politicians who led the Leave campaign. They know that they have unleashed something extremely dangerous as an indirect (and sometimes direct) result of their camapigning. They have a moral and political duty to challenge these views and condemn these behaviours, and yet they are conspicuous by their absence. They are, every last one of them, moral cowards.

It's the Internet. That is what has changed. Public discourse is no longer filtered by the BBC and the Press. Extreme strands of opinion now coalesce on chat forums and reinforce themselves. The darker corners of the Daily Mail are no longer the limit for these people.

I disagree.

Demagogery and xenophobia causing violence on the streets and the murder of politicians is literally as old as recorded history. We have made the mistake of thinking we are above such things in the [mainland] UK. We were, and are, wrong. We are not superior to other times, countries or races. We are susceptible to the same base instincts.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

roubaixtuesday wrote:Demagogery and xenophobia causing violence on the streets and the murder of politicians is literally as old as recorded history.
It was certainly as long ago as 9-10 November 1938...

We have made the mistake of thinking we are above such things in the [mainland] UK.
Some, no doubt, did....

I make no apology for alluding to these horrific historical episodes. That is not to say I am comparing the ugly behaviour yesterday in Parliament Square, to them. But where are we going?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pwa

Post by pwa »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
pwa wrote:

I disagree.

Demagogery and xenophobia causing violence on the streets and the murder of politicians is literally as old as recorded history. We have made the mistake of thinking we are above such things in the [mainland] UK. We were, and are, wrong. We are not superior to other times, countries or races. We are susceptible to the same base instincts.

We have traditions that help us out though. We have a tradition of respecting the opinions of others within certain limits. That tradition exists in some other countries, but not all.

The internet is allowing fringe views that once had individuals isolated, to coalesce and reinforce. Paedophiles, for instance, have always existed but can now organise and reinforce their views and share resources. Deviant behaviour generally is helped by the internet.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

pwa wrote:We have traditions that help us out though. We have a tradition of respecting the opinions of others within certain limits. That tradition exists in some other countries, but not all.

Yet here we are,

(1) with a campaign whose main slogan, on the side of a bus was a lie, later condemned by the UK statistics authority when Johnson repeated it as Foreign secretary
https://www.statisticsauthority.gov.uk/ ... retary.pdf

(2) with a campaign who used a dishonest leaflet threatening the arrival of 72 million Turks to whip up xenophobia.

(3) With politicians now using the threat of violence from thugs outside parliament to justify not holding a 2nd referendum.

It is this very belief that our traditions will save us which is dangerous. They have already been ripped up, without anyone even realising.

Bosnian Muslims had similar beliefs before the Yugoslav wars, having lived in harmony for centuries.
pwa

Post by pwa »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
pwa wrote:We have traditions that help us out though. We have a tradition of respecting the opinions of others within certain limits. That tradition exists in some other countries, but not all.

Yet here we are,

(1) with a campaign whose main slogan, on the side of a bus was a lie, later condemned by the UK statistics authority when Johnson repeated it as Foreign secretary

(2) with a campaign who used a dishonest leaflet threatening the arrival of 72 million Turks to whip up xenophobia.

(3) With politicians now using the threat of violence from thugs outside parliament to justify not holding a 2nd referendum.

It is this very belief that our traditions will save us which is dangerous. They have already been ripped up, without anyone even realising.

Bosnian Muslims had similar beliefs before the Yugoslav wars, having lived in harmony for centuries.

Well I for one won't be attacking anyone in the street because of a difference in political beliefs, and anyone who does so is my enemy.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

roubaixtuesday wrote:

Yet here we are,

The history of Britain and Europe is one of hundreds of years of internecine warfare. Nor are all of these wars the result of funny old arrangements now disappeared with the kings and Christian religious zealots. The same human instincts and behaviours that informed the 100 Years War informed the wars of the first half of the C20th. The same instincts and behaviours inform the various proxy wars conducted by various First World (supposedly civilised) nations around the planet.

We in Britain are under something of an illusion about the norms of human behaviour, as we've spent the last seventy-summick years living through an almost unprecedented era of peace and (relative) prosperity at home, in the British Isles. WWII was a salutary lesson to many politicians, even some Tories of the time (although others were still anxious to do the Empire thing and the Cold War thing). Politics became about inclusion and a better future, not fear-of-the-other - although the "commie threat" was always a useful bogey to employ when needed, as were various little campaigns in Korea, The Middle East, The Falklands et al.

The British political world (and that of some other nations) has been slowly forgetting WWII and it's damaging effects, for some decades now. The sort of Nationalism that informed both world wars is once more waxed-large. It seems inevitable that these tribal aspects of human instinct and behaviour will once more come to the fore. There are many signs & portents, of which Brexit is but one.

Is it possible for the population at large to come to it's senses and recognise the value of not just a national civilisation of inclusion and tolerance but also an international civilisation of similar inclination? This seems unlikely to me. The success and great popularity of Trump, Putin and several others of the "strongman" ilk around the planet bode ill. Our own inability to produce politicians worthy of the name and role is also telling. Intolerance, anger and fear are all the rage - along with the vast lies, delusions and other denials of the likely consequences of being a rabid nationalist, xenophobe, racist, religious bigot or other variety of hate-'ems.

Cugel, wondering when my own bubble of civilisation will burst.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes