** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
andrec

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by andrec »

Oldjohnw wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Yes Pete, if they feel they can't stand home rule. That sounds sensible. It's an option

Al

So why didn't the millions who didn't like the EU leave rather than bring this mess on us?

To live in your own country and to be ruled by your own parliament with no oversight from one in a foreign country is quite a reasonable thing to want. It is how most countries operate. People who want this but don't have it cannot get it by leaving their own country. People who prefer being ruled by a foreign parliament can live anywhere but their own country, or if they live in the EU they can live in their own country too. For British people in this category their choice is soon to be reduced by one country, the UK. They will still have the choice of all the other countries in the world, or only all other EU countries if they insist that they are ruled by the EU parliament.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

al_yrpal wrote:Yes Pete, if they feel they can't stand home rule. That sounds sensible. It's an option

Al

In other words people who think differently to you should leave. Political cleansing. Scary when suggested by folk with far right views - is it the thin end of a vicious wedge?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

andrec wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:

Al

So why didn't the millions who didn't like the EU leave rather than bring this mess on us?

To live in your own country and to be ruled by your own parliament with no oversight from one in a foreign country is quite a reasonable thing to want. It is how most countries operate. People who want this but don't have it cannot get it by leaving their own country. People who prefer being ruled by a foreign parliament can live anywhere but their own country, or if they live in the EU they can live in their own country too. For British people in this category their choice is soon to be reduced by one country, the UK. They will still have the choice of all the other countries in the world, or only all other EU countries if they insist that they are ruled by the EU parliament.

There's one basic but substantial flaw in your argument - it's based on a delusion. We're not and never have been ruled by a foreign parliament.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

pete75 wrote: We're not and never have been ruled by a foreign parliament.

Nevertheless, our government often bows to the wishes of foreign states. Most often that's the US, not the EU. You have only to look at our relationship with Saudi Arabia to see how the UK is not in charge of its own destiny. A UK outside the EU will be no more independent, but it will be more desperate. Vassal state doesn't begin to describe it.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, Today the number crunchers for HMG have announced their forecast post "Hard Brexit". Big scary numbers.
But a question for those who want Remain to prevail - "How much money was spent with "Quantative Easing"?
Parliament put regulations in place to control the silly bankers, then it all went pear shaped.
Don't blame me or other Leavers for that. TTFN MM
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

bovlomov wrote:

There will never be home rule. Control of our nuclear weapons, energy supplies, foreign policy, food supply, food standards, farming, oil supplies, transport systems, surveillance systems, human rights, science research, ... ...have all been outsourced to, or shared with, foreigners to some degree. In many cases (US/UK extradition for example) the relationship is unbalanced, not in our favour. You may argue about the pros and cons of each of those relationships, case by case. But there is literally no prospect that the UK government - still less UK citizens - will ever be in a position to make unilateral decisions about all those things.

And as a weakened state we will be compelled to bend to the will of foreign states more than ever before. Promises of home rule, sovereignty and independence are simplistic.

You can peddle this view all you like but it doesnt compute and sadly its typical of peopke who have given up on Britain. After Brexit it will be our elected government that has the last say on all these things. We will choose whether to operate to standards that are common to our trading partners and allies, but in future that will be soleley our choice

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

al_yrpal wrote:
bovlomov wrote:

There will never be home rule. Control of our nuclear weapons, energy supplies, foreign policy, food supply, food standards, farming, oil supplies, transport systems, surveillance systems, human rights, science research, ... ...have all been outsourced to, or shared with, foreigners to some degree. In many cases (US/UK extradition for example) the relationship is unbalanced, not in our favour. You may argue about the pros and cons of each of those relationships, case by case. But there is literally no prospect that the UK government - still less UK citizens - will ever be in a position to make unilateral decisions about all those things.

And as a weakened state we will be compelled to bend to the will of foreign states more than ever before. Promises of home rule, sovereignty and independence are simplistic.

You can peddle this view all you like but it doesnt compute and sadly its typical of peopke who have given up on Britain. After Brexit it will be our elected government that has the last say on all these things. We will choose whether to operate to standards that are common to our trading partners and allies, but in future that will be soleley our choice

What doesn't compute? Which bit is wrong? Be specific. I haven't given up on Britain, but I do have a realistic view of our place in the world.

Yes, it will be solely our choice, but the choice will be made from a much weaker position. The size of our markets give us very little bargaining power. This is not speculation. Ask Liam Fox.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

pete75 wrote:

Al

In other words people who think differently to you should leave. Political cleansing. Scary when suggested by folk with far right views - is it the thin end of a vicious wedge?

Its an option for them Pete, your attempt to put words in my mouth failed :D I wouldnt support any compulsion or even any pressure. Fortunately its still a free country and everyone here can choose what they do despite the Superstate's efforts.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I never have been ruled by a foreign government or parliament. My own government has had a variety of treaties and agreements with other governments and legislatures, including the EU, NATO and the UN. The EU is particularly interesting because I have always votes for the members of that parliament.

Meanwhile, I still await the evidence of my being ruled by a foreign parliament. Merely repeating something does not make it so.

I do know a bit about the EU having worked with and for them over a number of years. And no, they don't pay my pension.
John
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

al_yrpal wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Al

Its an option for them Pete, your attempt to put words in my mouth failed :D I wouldnt support any compulsion or even any pressure. Fortunately its still a free country and everyone here can choose what they do despite the Superstate's efforts.

Al

as I pointed out to Andrec, the option to become a full time resident somewhere in the EU will dissapear if we leave with no deal.
Indeed even those who are resident there for less than 5 years find themselves in a position of much insecurity.
Such is the uncertainty.
So your position seems poorly thought though.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Oldjohnw wrote:I never have been ruled by a foreign government or parliament. My own government has had a variety of treaties and agreements with other governments and legislatures, including the EU, NATO and the UN. The EU is particularly interesting because I have always votes for the members of that parliament.

Meanwhile, I still await the evidence of my being ruled by a foreign parliament. Merely repeating something does not make it so.

Quite so.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Much of our infrastructure is, of course, more or less run by foreign governments or companies. It has been privatised by people in support of Brexit, not at the request of the EU. This process can be expected to continue when we leave the EU, with American institutions the beneficiaries.
John
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

We need American permission to use "our" nuclear bombs.
Airstrip1, Oceania.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

In the 2016 referendum one of the battle cries was about 'taking back control' and repatriating power to the UK Parliament. (My personal view of that is that it was a false argument based on a false premise: Parliament has always been sovereign.We make laws on tax, welfare, transport, defence, foreign policy, education without any recourse to Brussels).

Since the referendum we have had repeated attempts by the executive to bypass that very Parliament. This has even included having to go to the Supreme court to ensure Parliament would have a debate, and judges were branded traitors and enemies of the people.

This continues to this day with Tory leadership candidates threatening to close down parliament.

It is most dispiriting.
John
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

In control of our own destiny, democracy, what drivel - e.g the beardy pasty man is clueless, we're about to get the second Prime Minister we never voted for, the second being a Trump mini-me voted in by less than 2% of the population and they're all old buffers with no interest except their own self interest and narrow flat earther, science denier, little England views.

No cheers for democracy - apologies to E.M Forster.

No leaver on this forum has ever EVER made a rational argument based on facts for leaving the EU (being a positive thing), and all they ever say when confronted with views they don't like (and they haven't the wit to evaluate those views) is a version of the fake news mantra.

The country is going, going, going to the dogs thanks to the leaver mentality (that's why most of our finest companies (utilities included) have been sold off to foreign"investors".

As I've said before, when the **** storm arrives, those that voted leave should suffer first - at the back of the NHS queue, at the back of the food queue, suffer higher interest rates, see their savings and pensions decline in value...

John.