** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mjr

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by mjr »

horizon wrote:It refutes the idea (propounded by May last night) that the public are simply gagging for Brexit. Actually 53% support remaining in the EU.

61% on latest poll I saw. https://mobile.twitter.com/ElectionMaps ... 7948111873

May is increasing support for it! Finally, she is starting to heal the divide by uniting people in their dislike of her actions!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Re: Govt's petitions site crashes after 'Revoke Art.50' petition

Post by mjr »

PDQ Mobile wrote:I got Error (448 I think) - "You are an undesirable, get lost!"

Wait until we start getting Error 418 "I'm a teapot", then we know someone is messing with it!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
horizon

Re: Govt's petitions site crashes after 'Revoke Art.50' petition

Post by horizon »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
661-Pete wrote:
I think it crashes out at about 2000 per minute. Which means a million signatures by lunchtime if it works.

I'm currently getting "Error 502 - Bad Gateway".

I got Error (448 I think) - "You are an undesirable, get lost!"[/quote]

It's currently running at about 1800 per minute and seems to cope. It appears to crash at about 2000. So you might be lucky.

Update: it seems to be coping with 3000 per minute. :shock:
Last edited by horizon on 21 Mar 2019, 11:02am, edited 1 time in total.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
pwa

Post by pwa »

The petition, whatever you think of it, is pointless. A lot of people don't like Brexit. We knew that already. Okay, if it gets up to 17 million, all of an age to vote, it may carry weight. Assuming it is so rigorous that folk can't "sign" twice or more. But as it is it looks like triggering a bit of talking of such insignificance to parliamentary processes that the PM might not need to turn up. I suppose it gives people a rallying point to register displeasure, but beyond that it won't do anything.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pwa wrote:The petition, whatever you think of it, is pointless. A lot of people don't like Brexit. We knew that already. Okay, if it gets up to 17 million, all of an age to vote, it may carry weight. Assuming it is so rigorous that folk can't "sign" twice or more. But as it is it looks like triggering a bit of talking of such insignificance to parliamentary processes that the PM might not need to turn up. I suppose it gives people a rallying point to register displeasure, but beyond that it won't do anything.

maybe but some thing to do or be powerless in seeing all these grande fools of which May is the biggest strut their stuff. makes me feel ill
same as the saturday march
Last edited by mercalia on 21 Mar 2019, 11:06am, edited 1 time in total.
horizon

Post by horizon »

pwa wrote:The petition, whatever you think of it, is pointless.

As I said above, we (Remain) seem to be being airbrushed out of the argument. That's why it has taken off so dramatically - people really want to say "Oy! We're still here". TMs "You the public" doesn't include me.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

horizon wrote:

As I said above, we (Remain) seem to be being airbrushed out of the argument. That's why it has taken off so dramatically - people really want to say "Oy! We're still here". TMs "You the public" doesn't include me.

you have to do some thing when a DICTATOR as thats what May is really in all but name, thinks only her will is important.

I hope the EU laughs in her face and sends her packing
pwa

Post by pwa »

mercalia wrote:
horizon wrote:

you have to do some thing when a DICTATOR as thats what May is really in all but name, thinks only her will is important.

I hope the EU laughs in her face and sends her packing

I do see the point of it as a protest, but only as a protest.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

stepping back a bit I came across this article that explains all the mistakes Mrs May has made that has led to where we are and how the EU have played us

James Forsyth
20 October 2018

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2018/10/divide-and-rule-how-the-eu-used-ireland-to-take-control-of-brexit/
Last edited by mercalia on 21 Mar 2019, 11:31am, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:
pwa wrote:The petition, whatever you think of it, is pointless. A lot of people don't like Brexit. We knew that already. Okay, if it gets up to 17 million, all of an age to vote, it may carry weight. Assuming it is so rigorous that folk can't "sign" twice or more. But as it is it looks like triggering a bit of talking of such insignificance to parliamentary processes that the PM might not need to turn up. I suppose it gives people a rallying point to register displeasure, but beyond that it won't do anything.

maybe but some thing to do or be powerless in seeing all these grande fools of which May is the biggest strut their stuff. makes me feel ill

This is the problem as I see it.

We first have a referendum of which the leave campaign peddle some of the biggest and blatent unchallenged lies I've witnessed,and succeed in winning by the slimmest majority.

Followed by tripping over herself incompetent PM all to willing to sign A50.

Then an incompetent PM and her representatives make a complete pig's ear out any and all negotiations in which previously claimed how quick and easy it was all going to be.

Then the liars and illegal funding of the leave campaign based on hatred of the immigrant and how much the UK will better of monetarily for leaving comes to light.

Then there's a back lash when significant numbers of people realise what they've actually done and the wider impact of Brexit.

Followed by a GE where the current government has no overall majority and is forced to accept being held to ransom by the DUP(the less said about them the better)to form a government.A PM who is so stupidly stubborn she simply has to have her own way with no cross party consensus.

As a result the country now teeters on the edge of as socio economic precipice of unquantifiable proportions,whilst hardline Brexit supporters wrap themselves in the Union Jack and look back wearing rose tint specs to a halcyon age that never was but for the rich,whilst consoling themselves with the erroneous blatter that the EU consists of some Franco German monolith set on ruling the world which the UK needs to stand up against,which nothing could be further than the truth.
It's enough to make a sensible man weep at the shame and incompetence of parliament,not mention the utter barefaced and illegal lies put past the gulible leave voter with promises of a better future.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

Most of the wrapping in flags I see these days is folk wrapping themselves in an EU flag. I am always suspicious of flag wavers. Of any flavour.

I entertain the thought that maybe, just maybe, Therese is still a Remainer and is deliberately driving Brexit into the buffers. It would explain why she is not reaching out to those in Parliament who would vote for a Brexit with us in a customs union.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Pointless? Perhaps voting is pointless? I've lived the past 40 years or so in a safe Tory constituency, but I've never voted Conservative. Have all the votes I've cast in past GE's been in vain? None of them had the slightest effect.

Perhaps everything is pointless. After all, we're all going to die some day. What's the point in doing anything?

That superb comedian, Kenneth Williams, wrote in his last diary entry (effectively his suicide note) "What's the bloody point?" I think I see what he meant.... :(
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

pwa wrote:I am always suspicious of flag wavers. Of any flavour.
You'd better not apply for a job as an assistant football referee, then! :lol:

For the record, I plan to carry a flag on the march, not wrap myself up in it. I see nothing wrong with flying one's colours from the mast...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
RickH

Post by RickH »

I don't usually sign online petitions (petition fatigue - getting asked to sign multiple badly worded petitions every day at time) but I signed this one.

I note it has now passed 3/4 million!
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

RickH wrote:I note it has now passed 3/4 million!
A tiny drop in the ocean.

If it were to get to 34million it might be worth taking note of it.
Mick F. Cornwall