** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Paulatic

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Paulatic »

If only the supporters of brexit could have qualmed some of the fears of the 48% Given good answers to concerns and shown how everything was going to work in the future then I reckon it would have been in action now. Instead it appears supporters of brexit have no agenda other than want to conquer and rule.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

From my conversations, people are like me. No conquering and ruling, just preferring to be out of the EU.
We were asked, and we spoke.
Just get on with it!
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

... (self moderated.)
Last edited by thirdcrank on 25 May 2019, 1:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:From my conversations, people are like me. No conquering and ruling, just preferring to be out of the EU.
Just get on with it!

That's exactly what a conquering majority says. No listening to what's at least a sizeable minority, just "just get on with it". Any time a tyranny-of-the-majority approach has been tried, it's not ended well.

Compare that to what Remain tried, to listen to the Leave minority when it was a minority, making various compromises to try to address their concerns: securing the rebate, not going into Schengen, not going into the Euro, and so on. Why do we not get anything like that in return?

And you may not be racist, zealous or right-wing, but you say you vote for them, so what's the practical difference?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

windmiller wrote:The average remainer mindset appears to want to keep the vassalage of the UK to the defeated nations from acoss the whale road. Politicians aside do you really have so little confidence and respect in ourselves to decide who we are anymore?

That is rubbish. Any time that you have to invent the views of your opponents instead of being able to quote them directly is a time when you're probably losing the argument.

I have plenty of confidence and respect in ourselves which is why I feel that we can cooperate as Europeans while keeping our own identity as well. It's those who want to build a wall around us and try to keep the outside world away who are scared and lacking in self-confidence.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mjr wrote:And you may not be racist, zealous or right-wing, but you say you vote for them, so what's the practical difference?
What are you saying?

I voted to leave the EU.
You voted to stay.

I still want us to leave, and will continue to vote for the party or parties that will do it.
You still want us to stay, so you will continue to vote for the party or parties that will do it.

You don't have to be a zealot to vote.
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:
mjr wrote:And you may not be racist, zealous or right-wing, but you say you vote for them, so what's the practical difference?
What are you saying?

I voted to leave the EU.
You voted to stay.

I still want us to leave, and will continue to vote for the party or parties that will do it.
You still want us to stay, so you will continue to vote for the party or parties that will do it.

You don't have to be a zealot to vote.

There are at least four parties saying they will make the UK leave (Con, Lab, UKIP, BXP). You said you voted for one of the right-wing zealot ones, rather than the moderates.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Mick F wrote:From my conversations, people are like me. No conquering and ruling, just preferring to be out of the EU.
Just get on with it!

If you don’t address our concerns then I’d of thought that as conquering and ruling.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hello all, On Wednesday I was in A&E, with serious abdominal pain, not nice. But even that was better than colic induced belly-aching of the Remainers on this forum!
No sleep for a week but I was still determined that I should really be able to cast my rightful vote on the Thursday.
At 2 am Thursday a surgeon was preparing me for surgery, kidney stone in a very dodgy place. But luckily by 9 am a consultant urologist had a different view, pills and prayer, him not me. by that time they observed that the stone had moved.
4 pm I talked my way out of the death zone, first priority make fresh air, second priority Polling Station!
Happily my stone appears to have exited down a safe route. But I was prepared to die rather that not exercise my franchise, LEAVE MEANS LEAVE!
IGICB MM
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Just get on with it!

Shurely shome mishtake as your many conversations here indicate that the great majority of people are not like you ..... preferring to be in the EU. :-)

Moreover, they can all say why they prefer to stay in, whereas you can't manage any justification for your desire other than the desire itself! But the EU is not a bowl of porridge or even a pasty. Membership or otherwise is not merely a matter of taste.

On the other hand, Britain's body-politic has become a dog's breakfast, containing not just the scraps usually tossed to we mutts but also some rotten Tory that should have been thrown out decades ago. No wonder no one wants to eat it, other than the odd vulture. (Flap forward Farrago).

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mjr wrote:There are at least four parties saying they will make the UK leave (Con, Lab, UKIP, BXP). You said you voted for one of the right-wing zealot ones, rather than the moderates.
Tories are very much split on it, Labour too. This is why parliament are at loggerheads.

That only leaves UKIP and BXP who are 100%.
The EU vote last Thursday was for MEPs. When we get out, they will be redundant. Meanwhile there'll be a signal to the world that there are millions of us who still want to be out.
It was a sort of Ref2 perhaps?

Any road up, the thread you are referring to is in Sin Bin because someone said that it was illegal to publish who you voted for before the results are announced.

Absolute tommy rot and daft, and when the thread is re-instated after the results tomorrow, we can see who else voted and which way. I can understand someone famous or someone with influence, but this is a cycling forum and an informal chat-room, not some august political publication.
Mick F. Cornwall
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

mjr wrote:
windmiller wrote:The average remainer mindset appears to want to keep the vassalage of the UK to the defeated nations from acoss the whale road. Politicians aside do you really have so little confidence and respect in ourselves to decide who we are anymore?

That is rubbish. Any time that you have to invent the views of your opponents instead of being able to quote them directly is a time when you're probably losing the argument.

I have plenty of confidence and respect in ourselves which is why I feel that we can cooperate as Europeans while keeping our own identity as well. It's those who want to build a wall around us and try to keep the outside world away who are scared and lacking in self-confidence.

I know it's rubbish , that's why I why I asked the question, do you really have so little confidence and respect in ourselves to decide who we are anymore?
Th EU instils fear and self loathing in it's member states. European is not a nationality, it is to be an inhabitant of the continent of Europe.
Johnocyprus

Post by Johnocyprus »

Let’s enjoy the weekend. May has agreed to step down and tomorrow we learn the results of the European Elections.
Isn’t life grand?
mjr

Post by mjr »

windmiller wrote:
mjr wrote:

I know it's rubbish , that's why I why I asked the question, do you really have so little confidence and respect in ourselves to decide who we are anymore?
Th EU instils fear and self loathing in it's member states. European is not a nationality, it is to be an inhabitant of the continent of Europe.

No one called it a nationality, but it's part of our identity, like being a midlander or English, and it's foolish to deny that by leaving the EU that instils pride and celebrates our diverse identites. Look at Cornish or Welsh or Scottish Gaelic for example: did the EU support or repress them? And which did the pre-EU UK do for most of its history? (See Tragedy of the Blue Books, Prayer Book Rebellion, Statutes of Iona, among many.)

I have confidence in the majority that now want to remain in the Union. It's the Leavers who are scared and want to hide behind false barriers peddled by fake politrickians in it for their own ends. Why are Leavers so scared?
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

windmiller wrote: ...do you really have so little confidence and respect in ourselves to decide who we are anymore?

Do you have so little confidence that you feel threatened by our signing of international treaties? If not, then where would you draw the line? Treaties affect immigration, emigration, transfer of goods and services, extradition, and countless other international obligations. Do they affect our ability to decide who we are, and if so, why is it a problem?
Last edited by bovlomov on 25 May 2019, 3:38pm, edited 1 time in total.