** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
djnotts

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by djnotts »

The Conservative and UNIONIST Party will never allow Scottish independence. That and possibility of civil unrest behind pay rises for military and police.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

djnotts wrote:The Conservative and UNIONIST Party will never allow Scottish independence. That and possibility of civil unrest behind pay rises for military and police.

I wish. Conservatives have already said they don't mind losing the union so long as we get Brexit.
John
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

stu1102 wrote:'can you really imagine that the new Cabinet will support anyone other than the wealthy and privileged? '

No not at all, but based on my small evidence from my home village in the Scottish Borders this will be the last Prime Minister of the United Kingdom

I hope you are correct because that will lead to more democracy.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Thankyou Boris and the rest of your rightwing goons. I see the £ is now nearly parity with the dollar - no wonder you are Trumps best friend, thinks the USA can buy up the UK at a knock down price. Why cant the Brexit-eers see whats happening, they will when they try to go on holiday I bet.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Why cant the Brexit-eers see whats happening, they will when they try to go on holiday I bet.

[moderated] The masses impoverished. And helpless. And bare toothed US capitalism in charge. And a privatised health care system. And stacks of cash in the pockets of 5% of their fellow [moderated] people. They really won't feel the cost of Euros!
[moderated] Hope they'll be proud of the expression of their "will" as they die in gutters when ambulances require their insurance policies! Too bad be taking the rest of us down with 'em.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

But the people spoke! The greatest exercise in the history of democracy.
John
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Oldjohnw wrote:But the people spoke! The greatest exercise in the history of democracy.

Been covered before a minority of people spoke in a referendum that was not legally binding
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Looks like the Good Friday Agreement is next to be thrown under the wheels of Boris' big Brexit Bus

There are plans to impose Direct Rule to "protect" Northern Ireland
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

mercalia wrote:Thankyou Boris and the rest of your rightwing goons. I see the £ is now nearly parity with the dollar - no wonder you are Trumps best friend, thinks the USA can buy up the UK at a knock down price. Why cant the Brexit-eers see whats happening, they will when they try to go on holiday I bet.

According to various sources, the two key reasons for voting Brexit were limiting Immigration and "Getting back control of our borders"

Economics or Trade was not part of that mindset
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cunobelin wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:But the people spoke! The greatest exercise in the history of democracy.

Been covered before a minority of people spoke in a referendum that was not legally binding

I hoped my exclamation mark - as well as my other comments - demonstrated that my comment was tongue in cheek!!!
John
stu1102

Post by stu1102 »

From Simon Schama

can someone please stand up and start shouting (it wont be the weasel Corbyn) "YOU ARE NOT CHURCHILL, fatso, and the EU is not the Third Reich. You do not have a war cabinet because THERE IS NO WAR. How DARE you invoke the sacrifices of those that fought one

Ed Conway
(@EdConwaySky)
On the bright side, the pound sterling is not the worst performing currency in the world today. That accolade goes to the Madagascan Ariary. The pound, on the other hand, is only the second-worst performing currency in the entire world

From the Telegraph

‘Tens of millions of pounds to be spent on marketing blitz warning Britons about how to prepare for a no deal Brexit over the next 3 months.

The spending on billboards, radio and TV will be biggest public information campaign since the end of WW2.’

It’s good to know that it will not be spent on the NHS
broadway

Post by broadway »

NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
djnotts wrote:
Why cant the Brexit-eers see whats happening, they will when they try to go on holiday I bet.

[moderated] The masses impoverished. And helpless. And bare toothed US capitalism in charge. And a privatised health care system. And stacks of cash in the pockets of 5% of their fellow [moderated] people. They really won't feel the cost of Euros!
[moderated] Hope they'll be proud of the expression of their "will" as they die in gutters when ambulances require their insurance policies! Too bad be taking the rest of us down with 'em.

You are simply insulting More than half the people who voted.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:You are simply insulting More than half the people who voted.

Really? How many voted for "no deal"?
Here's a hint: No deal was never on the table, it was only mentioned after the referendum as a mechanism for negotiation.

So "no deal" is a recent offering, if you believe you were offered it 3 years ago then I'm afraid there's an element of either delusion or manipulation going on.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:You are simply insulting More than half the people who voted.
That's as maybe. The insults have been flying freely in both directions, and not only on this forum. We'd best try to live with it.

You should have said, those out of the "more than half" who still believe in Brexit. Because (although you will deny this) the numbers have diminished. :roll:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).