** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Mick F »

Oldjohnw wrote: Post codes are confusing.
Just going off topic for a quick one.

We wanted a new postcode as ours was the same as addresses on a different road. Royal Mail refused, saying that postcodes are there for them and not for us. It's their method of sorting the mail, not our method for finding places. The fact that Satnav systems and other delivery companies use them is not RMs responsibility and they shouldn't use them because the postcode system wasn't and isn't designed for it.

That's what we were told about 15years ago. Honest as I'm sitting here.

In the fulness of time, I still wanted us to have a new postcode, so I got on the local council offices in Truro, and they agreed with me, so I left it with them.

We got our new postcode. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Oldjohnw wrote:Confused education
Sorry, just to go on a little bit more.

Friends of ours when we lived in Scotland, came down to Plymouth at about the same time we did. They moved in next-door-but-one to us. Their daughter started at the local primary school in the top class, and after the summer moved up into the senior school.

A year later they moved back to Scotland, where she had to go to the local primary school. She was MOST upset, and I don't blame her.
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

if or when Brexit fails ( as some n the EU thinkit has) should there be a national holiday or atleast church bells across the country should ring out?
VE-2 day?

“Brexit is dead,” one EU diplomat told me recently. Surprised by the bluntness of this assertion, I countered that it was very much alive. The clarification came back: yes, obviously it could still happen, and on the worst possible terms, but viewed from the outside, intellectually, as a proposition based on the original 2016 arguments for leaving the EU, the debate is over. Not even the most nationalistic parties in other member states contemplate taking Euroscepticism to the lengths taken in Britain.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... GTUK_email
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Euroscepticism has been alive and well for decades. It will never die, and neither should it.

Brexit, on the other hand, is poorly and sick in bed, but it could very well pull through given the correct treatment.
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mick F wrote:Euroscepticism has been alive and well for decades. It will never die, and neither should it.

Brexit, on the other hand, is poorly and sick in bed, but it could very well pull through given the correct treatment.

Euroscepticism - and much other scepticism - is healthy and necessary. It is an essential part of democracy. Brexitism is a complete and utter failure: it divides, it costs, it nurtures charlatans, it becomes a plaything of the venal. It fails, even if and when we leave, it fails because it leaves a damaged and poorer society in its wake.
John
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Oldjohnw wrote: ........... it fails because it leaves a damaged and poorer society in its wake.
Telling the future are we?

I agree that there's evidence pointing that way at the moment, but there's no proof one way or another about future prospects.

Optimism or Pessimism? I'm an optimist generally, and I'm an optimist regarding Brexit.
Mick F. Cornwall
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Mick F wrote:I agree that there's evidence pointing that way at the moment, but there's no proof one way or another about future prospects.

A man starts to cross a motorway; thinks to himself "the evidence at the moment suggests death or serious injury, but that doesn't prove it'll happen".
He continues to cross.
Is he sensible or stupid?

Sometimes the initial evidence is all you need.
Even ignoring the vast swathes of companies that have either closed, are closing or are reducing their workforce there's the real evidence of a lack of investment.
Then there's the various organisations that have upped sticks, science projects we're no longer members of etc etc.

It's all very well be optimistic but you've a lot of damage to undo to even break out even and given the current government (and yours since you voted for the brexit party) willingness to simply leave without a deal which nobody agrees would be a good thing then there's more of the same to come.

Currently we're riding the storm - but there shouldn't be a storm to ride.

All the things that have happened and will happen have a cost, economic inertia means we've so far avoided paying it but the reckoning is on the horizon.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oldjohnw wrote:Euroscepticism - and much other scepticism - is healthy and necessary. It is an essential part of democracy. Brexitism is a complete and utter failure: it divides, it costs, it nurtures charlatans, it becomes a plaything of the venal. It fails, even if and when we leave, it fails because it leaves a damaged and poorer society in its wake.

Absolutely spot on.
The country will be a much worse place to live in for the vast majority,particularly low earners,post brexit* The rich will prosper as they always have or move elsewhere.

*should it happen
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

You're foretelling the future too.

I can cross a motorway on foot and survive. It's just a matter of watching and waiting and biding your time.
Mick F. Cornwall
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Mick F wrote:You're foretelling the future too.

Sometimes the future is easy to predict; signs and portents. They're there, you just have to look.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I can cross a motorway on foot and survive. It's just a matter of watching and waiting and biding your time.

Sensible people would advise against it.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mick F wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote: ........... it fails because it leaves a damaged and poorer society in its wake.
Telling the future are we?

I agree that there's evidence pointing that way at the moment, but there's no proof one way or another about future prospects.

Optimism or Pessimism? I'm an optimist generally, and I'm an optimist regarding Brexit.

O I agree it's only my view but the evidence is there. The division and damage is already there: the future, if you like, is here.
John
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mike Sales wrote:

Doesn't mean it can't be done though.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,

Mick F wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

Spot on :wink:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
Mick F wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

And there you have it.

Brexit is as stupid as crossing a motorway on foot, but we should still do it.

It's as though a mass hysteria has overtaken us.

One bloke playing chicken by hisself is bad enough. He's forcing those who might hit him at 70mph with a crunch and a splat to play chicken too, though but. When the bloke is trying to drag all his family & neighbours across the motorway with him as he goes a-chickening-oh, one feels the booby hatch should be opened at the admittance-hole whilst the whitecoats go out with their big booby net to make a significant catch!

Of course, one can get carried away with analogies, similes and other completely daft comparisons. Still, Brexiteering as chicken-on-the-motorway does have a certain poetic truth about it.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes