** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Canuk

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Canuk »

Tangled Metal wrote:It's not my time and cultural mores here that matter. It's the laws under which we live. Some of which date from long before the 70s and are in turn updates on even older laws.

A referendum is not something less than any other form of public ballet. It's different but as important as other ballots being an expression of public will. I personally do not think there should be differentiation in this one age for all national or local ballots.

As for the right and wrong of reducing b the age, that does not change which political leaning tends to benefit with the age reduction. Nor does it change the leanings of those who campaign the most for it. A coincidence?

I do like a public ballet. Could we make it a bit punk, with a mosh pit? Oh my, how the country needs a good party to get away from it all. I'll bring beer. Fwiw the most important referendum (Scottish) in recent history allowed the vote for 16 year olds. That's called precedent. And should be applied to the next national ballet :lol:
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Tangled Metal wrote:A referendum is not something less than any other form of public ballet.

Now, that inadvertent homophone suggests an excellent solution to our national debacle.

Brexit debate henceforth should only be allowed if conducted through the medium of interpretive dance.

Kenneth Clarke and Boris Johnson on stage in leotards should focus the minds on getting to a solution pronto.

[with apologies for playing the grammar fascist]
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:A referendum is not something less than any other form of public ballet.

Kenneth Clarke and Boris Johnson on stage in leotards should focus the minds on getting to a solution pronto.

[with apologies for playing the grammar fascist]

People would pay good money to throw rotten tomatoes at that.

I'll get me rifle.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

mjr wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:the worst crisis since WW2

Your are joking, there is no crisis, it's just in Remain voter brains. This statement is all part of the rather pathetic project fear. I remember doodle bugs, shrapnel falling on our shelter and bombed out houses of our neighbours that was a crisis, your simile is truly pathetic and so are all of your posts.

al_yrpal wrote:Get back to work... I am sure your employers won't be impressed to hear you spend lots of time trolling on this website.

I work flexitime and it's lunchtime. Why aren't you working?

I'm waiting on the car getting fixed, that's two hours of drinking coffee and improving my French with the secretary. I do love the great unwashed non tax payers who have a crack at the working masses who pay to subsidise their health care /travel/prescriptions.

It does make me laugh.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

roubaixtuesday wrote:

Now, that inadvertent homophone suggests an excellent solution to our national debacle.

Brexit debate henceforth should only be allowed if conducted through the medium of interpretive dance.

Last Tango in Brexit?

If these esteemed gentlemen are proposing to bare all, like in the film .... count me out :shock: .
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

♫ Yes we have no bananas! ♫

Post by 661-Pete »

In an effort to take my mind off grimmer things, I delve into today's Riverford box, retrieving the leaflet containing Guy's blog (that's Guy Singh-Watson, founder of the Riverford organic food producer). He quotes a certain ‘Leave-backing former cabinet minister’ as stating
"We won’t be able to get certain foods like bananas or tomatoes but it’s not like we won’t be able to eat...."
Guy does go on to remind us where most of our bananas come from! Mind you, even someone who'd failed O-level geography would know that!

Figures, doesn't it!? The depth of misinformation, ignorance and pure b*****t from our politicos is unbelievable.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Canuk wrote:I do love the great unwashed non tax payers who have a crack at the working masses who pay to subsidise their health care /travel/prescriptions.

ANd who are they pray tell?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
bovlomov

Re: ♫ Yes we have no bananas! ♫

Post by bovlomov »

661-Pete wrote:Guy does go on to remind us where most of our bananas come from! Mind you, even someone who'd failed O-level geography would know that!

Perhaps the minister knows where bananas come from but he thinks we won't be able to afford them.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
661-Pete wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:the worst crisis since WW2

Your are joking, there is no crisis, it's just in Remain voter brains. This statement is all part of the rather pathetic project fear. I remember doodle bugs, shrapnel falling on our shelter and bombed out houses of our neighbours that was a crisis, your simile is truly pathetic and so are all of your posts. Get back to work... I am sure your employers won't be impressed to hear you spend lots of time trolling on this website.
How decent of you! Very clever, is it not? - to post insults aimed at another member of this forum without making it clear which forum member is being targeted (if anyone wants to know, search up a page or two).

I should remind you that any member of this forum can report a post without necessarily being the victim of the insults therein.

So there and you have been told "al_yrpal" :lol:

Ere we go again........Yawn.................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Canuk wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:It's not my time and cultural mores here that matter. It's the laws under which we live. Some of which date from long before the 70s and are in turn updates on even older laws.

A referendum is not something less than any other form of public ballet. It's different but as important as other ballots being an expression of public will. I personally do not think there should be differentiation in this one age for all national or local ballots.

As for the right and wrong of reducing b the age, that does not change which political leaning tends to benefit with the age reduction. Nor does it change the leanings of those who campaign the most for it. A coincidence?

I do like a public ballet. Could we make it a bit punk, with a mosh pit? Oh my, how the country needs a good party to get away from it all. I'll bring beer. Fwiw the most important referendum (Scottish) in recent history allowed the vote for 16 year olds. That's called precedent. And should be applied to the next national ballet :lol:

In light of the Brexit debacle right now I'd question that. Surely the referendum that got us into the European system, the one about joining the single market. I don't remember it, being too young, but I bet most of the posters on here do. I think a referendum that applies to the whole union equally trumps one that applies mostly to one of our great nations. Don't you?

PS autocorrect does throw up amusing changes to intended words occasionally. But I will state that there isn't a single British politician I can think of that I'd be ok with in a leotard and tutu dancing to put their Brexit view across. It's simply not good thing to see.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

soon be time for this?
cromwell.JPG
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

mercalia wrote:soon be time for this?
cromwell.JPG

Or this?

horizon

Post by horizon »

I have to say that the current Brexit process has completely restored my faith in politics.

This is due to (a) the tight and surprising referendum result (b) the loss of Theresa May's majority (c) Gina Miller's successful action to allow Parliament a say (d) Dominic Grieve's amendment to allow amendments (e) Twitter (f) John Bercow's shifting of power away from the executive (and his "chattel" comment) (g) Michael Barnier (h) Leyla Moran's dress sense (i) the Tory right wing (without whom Brexit would be a done deal) (j) the televising of Parliament (k) the wisdom of Ken Clarke (l) the eloquence of our MPs (sorry sports lovers and Andy Murray) (m) the DUP (who needs Bela Lugosi?) (n) 24 hour news (o) Donald Tusk (p) being a Remainer (q) the House of Commons with its shortage of seats (r) the crisp logic of Bernard Jenkin (s) the Ayes and Noes (t) the number of people of colour speaking on TV and (u) the knowing smile of Laura Kuenssberg.

This surely is a great time to be alive and British? It's like the World Cup, the Olympics and a royal wedding in one for people who aren't interested in any of those. Long may it last.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

If you're the PM trying to get a kip tonight, but can't for wrestling with the inevitable denouement of Monday next (and another equally inevitable no confidence vote) surely this...
Attachments
IMG_20190116_4204.jpg
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

horizon wrote:I have to say that the current Brexit process has completely restored my faith in politics.

This is due to (a) the tight and surprising referendum result (b) the loss of Theresa May's majority (c) Gina Miller's successful action to allow Parliament a say (d) Dominic Grieve's amendment to allow amendments (e) Twitter (f) John Bercow's shifting of power away from the executive (and his "chattel" comment) (g) Michael Barnier (h) Leyla Moran's dress sense (i) the Tory right wing (without whom Brexit would be a done deal) (j) the televising of Parliament (k) the wisdom of Ken Clarke (l) the eloquence of our MPs (sorry sports lovers and Andy Murray) (m) the DUP (who needs Bela Lugosi?) (n) 24 hour news (o) Donald Tusk (p) being a Remainer (q) the House of Commons with its shortage of seats (r) the crisp logic of Bernard Jenkin (s) the Ayes and Noes (t) the number of people of colour speaking on TV and (u) the knowing smile of Laura Kuenssberg.

This surely is a great time to be alive and British? It's like the World Cup, the Olympics and a royal wedding in one for people who aren't interested in any of those. Long may it last.

+1 to all of that. But you forgot Danny Dyer describing Cameron with his 'Trotters Up' at a £1700 a night hotel in the South of France.

Finally something worth watching on the BBC. Some of the debates the last week have been the best telly I've ever watched. And great to hear so many non white, impassioned voices from the back benches. Bercow is a star, that's for sure. To watch Cameron with not a dot of remorse was also priceless. Little wonder he was described as "C3P0 made out of ham '.

This one is going to run and run, and run. Tuesday nights historic defeat (432-202) is just the beginning. Macron, though I can't stand the man nailed it:' Britain was sold a lie.'