** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Cyril Haearn wrote:1340 old b***t supporters die daily
1341 get older and become b****t supporters to replace them
1342 reach voting age :?

Its not rocket science :wink:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Canuk wrote:I think when a supposed thread about Brexit comes down to discussing 'What I know in Latin', it's clear its come to the end of the line.

The protagonists for Brexit claim they only voted leave on 'gut instinct'. Therefore they cannot proffer or advance any argument or defence of their stance because none is available to them. This gives them a great deal of satisfaction, in their animalistic response.

The antagonists (the majority) take a deal of pleasure pointing this out to the aforementioned, but eventually run out of steam because its a one horse race.

So, like the current state of play, its become very boring and stale.

700 pages reiterating the above, page after page, ad nauseam is surely enough, no?

In your opinion.

What about the other 17,399,973 people who voted leave?
Do you have a crystal ball.
Maybe stop bashing the leavers and start discussing the subject.
You surely have too much time on your hands to worry about a few so called extremist.

Is see its the Backstop that is being discussed to day in the press.
francovendee

Re: If???

Post by francovendee »

661-Pete wrote:
francovendee wrote:I voted remain but think if a compulsory vote was the law then, we would have had a greater margin to leave.
Don't know where that view comes from, but I'll say this - don't mistake vox pops (especially those sounded in Stoke-on-Trent and Hastings :wink: ) for overall public voting intentions....

I'd agree with the concept of compulsory voting - just so long as it was made easier (vote online for those who can), and every ballot paper to carry a NONE OF THE ABOVE option.

My hunch is the apathy of non voters would be used better by the leave campaign.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Like I said one opinion amongst millions.
Are you discounting the millions who voted?
Are you god.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

You make it sound like a rite of passage. Reach the age of (say) 50: experience a sudden epiphany: become a convert to diehard Brex**iteerism in a flash. Fall to the ground shaking, a blinding light shining in their eyes...

Forgive me, but I don't think it works like that.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
661-Pete wrote:
You make it sound like a rite of passage. Reach the age of (say) 50: experience a sudden epiphany: become a convert to diehard Brex**iteerism in a flash. Fall to the ground shaking, a blinding light shining in their eyes...

Forgive me, but I don't think it works like that.

But the young work like that?
So why is it the young who become eligible to vote lean one way and the older don't lean at all?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Bahahahah "Presumably because you A. like the sound of your own 'voice' B. Have literally nothing better to do with your time. "

Pot Kettle Black

Al :lol:

...something that seems to have escaped the bird brains that keep citing age - the ones in the middle get a little older, a little less naive and join the Leavers......
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Rather than playing the numbers game (though I'd like to believe it works in our favour), should we not be making the point that very much more is known to the voting public, than they could have had the merest inkling of, in 2016?

Has anyone the temerity to deny that?

And the things we know now but didn't know then, are self-evidently totally indigestible.

You ate a bad egg in 2016. You didn't know it was bad, until you became sick and threw up, some time later. Why would you want to go back and eat the same egg all over again?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

al_yrpal wrote:...something that seems to have escaped the bird brains that keep citing age - the ones in the middle get a little older, a little less naive and join the Leavers......
So you lot - who keep complaining about us dissing the Brex**iteers - are now resorting to calling us "bird brains" and "naive"?!

Hypocrisy abounds.

Personally, I don't see any reconciliation coming up any time soon. The rift in society is too deep. We could end up with bloody civil war and a partitioned Britain - on the lines of India-Pakistan. Which would serve no-one's interest except the despots.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Oldjohnw wrote:This old Remainer would still vote remain should it arise. Of course, should someone come up with convincing evidence about, say, how the EU makes our laws I am not afraid to change my mind.

Now surely that would depend on whether those laws are good or bad and better or worse than would be made by the UK government. Theresa May seems keen on getting rid of the Human Rights Act the basic purpose of which is to protect us against our rulers. When a Tory PM wants to get rid of something that, amongst other things, prohibits torture and inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment(article 3), Slavery, servitude and forced labour(article 4),the right to a fair trial(article 6),freedom of association and the right to form trade unions(article 11) it's somewhat concerning. Just what does she plan to do that requires abolition of legislation like this? Actually it's more than concerning it's scary.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Pete, you sound out of control? Have you listened to yourself? Please try to get a sense of realism and proportion

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
pete75

Post by pete75 »

duplicate post
Last edited by pete75 on 20 Jan 2019, 4:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

al_yrpal wrote:
...something that seems to have escaped the bird brains that keep citing age - the ones in the middle get a little older, a little less naive and join the Leavers......

You've got it wrong - it's those who believe the supporter of brexit lies who are naive. Wisdom is meant to come with age. When you finally develop some you'll realise you were tricked.
Last edited by pete75 on 20 Jan 2019, 4:50pm, edited 2 times in total.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

al_yrpal wrote:Pete, you sound out of control? Have you listened to yourself? Please try to get a sense of realism and proportion
Which Pete are you addressing please?
Last edited by 661-Pete on 20 Jan 2019, 4:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

al_yrpal wrote:Pete, you sound out of control? Have you listened to yourself? Please try to get a sense of realism and proportion

Al

Eh? Okay why do you think she wants to get rid of legislation that prevents such things? It's obvious she wants to do something the act prevents or to stop something it allows else why repeal it.