** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by reohn2 »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
...In my view the main roots of Brexit lie in the 2008 financial crash.
The consequent erosion of wage levels and a Tory Govt. intent on maintaining their relative wealth (when all were affected) by imposing austerity on the poorer sections of society and then successfully blaming that on the EU through its rabid press.

Nail,head,on!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

661-Pete wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:While there is some merit in the idea that Beeching formed the roots of Brexit by isolating rural and outlying communities, it would be folly to attribute too much of the blame there.IMV.
East Grinstead in Sussex (which happened to be Beeching's home town, oddly enough) was cruelly afflicted by the Beeching Axe. Pre-Beeching, there were four railway lines leading into the town. Now there is just one (towards London - of course!).

Yet East Grinstead is part of the Mid Sussex constituency - which voted Remain in 2016.

Yes i know but rail and transport cuts far more savage in the north and other outlying areas.
London and the south east are massively spoilt on public transport.
I thought it an interesting article.
The country has long been london centric and post the referendum result i was aware of really nasty savagery, and slander, directed at folk outside london who had voted the "wrong" way.
There's little so provincial and parochial as some members of the metropolitan elite, or those who see themselves as such.
Sweep
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

roubaixtuesday wrote:It is the (often deliberate) failure of the UK to understand this fundamental aim of the union that underpins the failure of Brexit.

Quite!
And the Brexit supporters on this thread are the personification of that failure to understand that IMO.

Terms such as 'begging bowl' only serves to highlight the opposite of not offering help to the needy,which is to let them starve.
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Offensive things are rightly called out.

Because offensive.

I expect that I'm simply a snowflake.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:
The consequent erosion of wage levels and a Tory Govt. intent on maintaining their relative wealth (when all were affected) by imposing austerity on the poorer sections of society and then successfully blaming that on the EU through its rabid press.

Nail,head,on!

Have another tap.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I lived in the North of England for quite a while. On the whole, I thought public transport links there were reasonably good at the time. The part of Britain that suffered most from Beeching was probably Scotland.

On the other hand, are we really 'spoilt' for public transport in the SE? Try travelling on the London-Brighton line, courtesy of Southern/Thameslink, if you please! We were on one of their trains yesterday (Saturday). Numbers boosted by the People's Vote crowd, admittedly: it was standing-room only and so crowded we could barely breathe....

But it's often like that on a Saturday. And not every Saturday hosts a big event in London.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

661-Pete wrote:On the other hand, are we really 'spoilt' for public transport in the SE? ....

In short, yes.
A moment's thought will provide a list of reasons why.
Sweep
Debs

Post by Debs »

Did anyone spot the most ironic moment of yesterday's parliamentary session?...
When Johnson, one of the two very worst ever Prime Minister's the UK has ever had to suffer, was deservedly getting a thorough rebuke and bashing from various opposition, he suddenly gets praise and support from; yes you guessed it!... the other worst [ now ex ] Prime Minister the UK has ever had to suffer!
The vindictive snake eyed May was quick to regurgitate more lies, hypocrisy, and deceit in support for Johnson's deal, although it's ever worse than the awful deal she wheeled into the parliamentary vote session on 3 occasions, and rightfully lost.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

reohn2 wrote:
pete75 wrote:
reohn2 wrote:And my point was that professionals can get upto illegal practices which cause distress and death just like drug dealers

What you actually said was ""Professionals" manipulate people to start unnecessary wars that kill millions to sell arms and associated equipement is that any better than drug dealers?"
Very different to what you claim you said.

OK Pete you win,it ain't worth the hassle,have a nice day :)

I don't know about that but anyone who makes such a ridiculous and unsubstantiated statement as the one of yours I quoted above is on to a loser.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:

Nail,head,on!

Have another tap.

Ok,it does go further back than that with the extreme right elements of the Tory party,but the catalyst was the 2008 crash followed by Mr Stupid's idea to shut them up once and for all.But he didn't count on the extremes the neolibral sewer rats would sink to for their opportunity to turn the UK into an offshore Cayman islands or a Singapore tax haven for themselves and their creepy friends.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
pete75 wrote:
What you actually said was ""Professionals" manipulate people to start unnecessary wars that kill millions to sell arms and associated equipement is that any better than drug dealers?"
Very different to what you claim you said.

OK Pete you win,it ain't worth the hassle,have a nice day :)

I don't know about that but anyone who makes such a ridiculous and unsubstantiated statement as the one of yours I quoted above is on to a loser.

Pete
The horse is dead stop flogging it! :roll:
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Debs wrote:Did anyone spot the most ironic moment of yesterday's parliamentary session?...
When Johnson, one of the two very worst ever Prime Minister's the UK has ever had to suffer, was deservedly getting a thorough rebuke and bashing from various opposition, he suddenly gets praise and support from; yes you guessed it!... the other worst [ now ex ] Prime Minister the UK has ever had to suffer!
The vindictive snake eyed May was quick to regurgitate more lies, hypocrisy, and deceit in support for Johnson's deal, although it's ever worse than the awful deal she wheeled into the parliamentary vote session on 3 occasions, and rightfully lost.

We shouldn't be surprised.
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

PDQ Mobile wrote:While there is some merit in the idea that Beeching formed the roots of Brexit by isolating rural and outlying communities, it would be folly to attribute too much of the blame there.IMV.

But it didn't. Most of the rural areas that had railways taken away by Beeching already had bus routes providing a much better passenger service than trains. In my own area the Bourne-Sleaford line close to passengers as early as 1930 because the buses had taken most of the passenger traffic. In rural areas the stations were often some way from settlements because the lines followed the best route rather than having to routed through a relatively small settlement at extra expense. The buses picked people up near to were they lived.
Here is a pre Beeching 1" OS map of rural Lincs. Look how far apart the lines and stations are and how few settlements were actually served by a railway station.
If, and it's a big if, isolation of rural communities has happened and was a root of Brexit then the loss of rural bus services would have had a far greater effect than the loss of railways.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
Debs wrote:Did anyone spot the most ironic moment of yesterday's parliamentary session?...

We shouldn't be surprised.

I thought she came out of it rather well.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

reohn2 wrote:
pete75 wrote:
reohn2 wrote:OK Pete you win,it ain't worth the hassle,have a nice day :)

Pete
The horse is dead stop flogging it! :roll:

Certainly your ridiculous comment is .... :lol: