** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by 661-Pete »

mjr wrote:When the Labour Party has suffered hijack attempts (by Greens recently.....
Greens hijacking the Labour party? :shock: :shock: :roll: Where and when? Have you got evidence?

It's true that members of other parties - well: some members of other parties - are only too ready to espouse Green or Green-ish policies. Witness Sadiq's forthcoming ULE zone in London, for example. And look how many prominent politicos have taken to cycling! But that's not the same as saying Green activists have infiltrated other parties to serve their own ends or fulfil their own ambitions.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mjr

Post by mjr »

661-Pete wrote:
mjr wrote:When the Labour Party has suffered hijack attempts (by Greens recently.....
Greens hijacking the Labour party? :shock: :shock: :roll: Where and when? Have you got evidence?

After the 2015 general election, when the wrong Miliband resigned. I know of Green Party activists who were approached and encouraged to join the Labour Party to try to influence the leadership election and I know of two who said they did and were expelled once the party checked their recent social media posts. I haven't saved the evidence because it means little to me, but I think this was reported at the time.

661-Pete wrote:It's true that members of other parties - well: some members of other parties - are only too ready to espouse Green or Green-ish policies. Witness Sadiq's forthcoming ULE zone in London, for example. And look how many prominent politicos have taken to cycling! But that's not the same as saying Green activists have infiltrated other parties to serve their own ends or fulfil their own ambitions.

Yes and it may be that the greener reds were those encouraging the Green activists to attempt to infiltrate. I'm not as well-connected with local Labour party activists online as the other four, so I don't really know what they were doing then.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Mick F wrote:We voted. End of story ...................... :wink:
Really, Mick F, I thought we'd got past the "Yah boo sucks to you!" phase...

Mick F wrote:Of course it's not certain if it remains the will of the people.
Just like all votes - general elections included.
Three years down the line and the demographics have changed.
So what?
That's a very big "what?" indeed!

So, we have a General Election, say. Three (or four or five) years down the line, public opinion has changed. So we should have another GE then? And your answer to that is also "So what?"?

"Bring on the Rump Parliament - but make it permanent!" Your way of thinking?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

mjr wrote:After the 2015 general election, when the wrong Miliband resigned. I know of Green Party activists who were approached and encouraged to join the Labour Party to try to influence the leadership election
Approached by members of the Labour Party, I assume? That doesn't sound like hijacking to me. More like incitement to defect....
PH

Post by PH »

Like the drunk at the party who's decided to leave but can't find the door, by the time they do so, they might be sober enough to decide to go back to the bar instead.
horizon

Post by horizon »

PH wrote:
horizon wrote:
PH wrote: one of the issues is the divisions are not along party lines and any possible outcome that isn't a disaster won't be either.

Brexit does fall along party lines (Labour is a very pro-Remain party apart from its leader). The problem is that Labour doesn't represent its voters.

I don't know where you draw that conclusion from, the membership is split* and it's voters even more so. Party policy is made by the National Executive not the leadership. It would be true to say the Parliamentary Labour Party are pro-remain, but it isn't their party.

Comparing the two parties I would say that the Conservative leadership/MPs/members/voters is more congruous while the Labour party is less so (as you pointed out). Which is ironic because the Tory party is seen as having an existential crisis whereas the Labour party is portrayed as sailing smoothly along.

But having said that, I would still maintain that Brexit just about falls along party lines, especially if you look at just the MPs and members/supporters. The other irony is that the Labour party membership is pro-Remain but supports the (pro-Brexit) leadership over the (pro-Remain) MPs. :shock:

Hmmm... OK, PH, I'm going to let you have this one. :D :shock:
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Mick F wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:As for referendum, it's done to death on here, but it is by no means certain that it remains "the will of the people".
Of course it's not certain if it remains the will of the people.
Just like all votes - general elections included.

Three years down the line and the demographics have changed.
So what?

We voted. End of story ...................... :wink:

+1 but hoping we dont end up with a Boris

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

al_yrpal wrote:...hoping we dont end up with a Boris

Al

Why?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PH wrote:

Like the drunk at the party who's decided to leave but can't find the door, by the time they do so, they might be sober enough to decide to go back to the bar instead.
Wonderful! :lol: :lol:

Nicely put.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:
PH wrote:

Wonderful! :lol: :lol:

Nicely put.

And very true.
The UK is so drunk on brexit,it would rather defecate in it's own bed rather than admit it has a drink problem :(
As for sobering up,we can but hope for the best :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

reohn2 wrote:The UK is so drunk on brexit,it would rather defecate in it's own bed rather than admit it has a drink problem :(

Yup.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

reohn2 wrote:And very true.
The UK is so drunk on brexit,it would rather defecate in it's own bed rather than admit it has a drink problem :(

More than a bit drunk!

Results of a YouGov pol of Conservatives.
It seems the only thing that would stop them wanting brexit is if it were to deliver Corbyn as a PM.

64769897_1438282272980954_1580421542565642240_n.jpg
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

kwackers wrote:
reohn2 wrote:And very true.

More than a bit drunk!

Results of a YouGov pol of Conservatives.
It seems the only thing that would stop them wanting brexit is if it were to deliver Corbyn as a PM.

64769897_1438282272980954_1580421542565642240_n.jpg

All of which goes to show,as if we didn't know already,the Tory party membership really is plastered!
W H Auden
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

reohn2 wrote:All of which goes to show,as if we didn't know already,the Tory party membership really is plastered!

Given some of the rabid brexitism I come across online I can't say I'm too surprised that they want it no matter what.

The only bit I don't get is why it's more preferable to them for Scotland to leave the union than N.I.
How does that make sense?
As far as I'm concerned if the Irish & N.I consensus is reunification then they should go for it. If Scotland left I'd be a bit sad though.

I wonder if it's simply because the of the E.U's stance. Bloody mindedness does seem to be a big part of brexit.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:
+1 but hoping we dont end up with a Boris

Al

Your worst nightmare is blonde,bonkers and about to take up residence in No10 in the not too distant........

Brexit voters started it :roll:
W H Auden