** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by thirdcrank »

From that link

In a solo press conference after the meeting, Mr Varadkar was asked about Mr Trump's description of the Irish border as a "wall" and whether or not the president understood how much the Irish government wanted to avoid a hard border after Brexit.

"He's the president of America and there are nearly 200 countries in the world, so I don't think it's possible for him to have an in-depth understanding of issues in every single country, which is why this engagement is important," Mr Varadkar replied.

If there's any desperation, it's the taoiseach desperately trying not to say anything critical about Mr Trump, while outlining his own government's policy which is on a different planet to POTUS. It's called diplomacy.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

thirdcrank wrote:From that link

In a solo press conference after the meeting, Mr Varadkar was asked about Mr Trump's description of the Irish border as a "wall" and whether or not the president understood how much the Irish government wanted to avoid a hard border after Brexit.

"He's the president of America and there are nearly 200 countries in the world, so I don't think it's possible for him to have an in-depth understanding of issues in every single country, which is why this engagement is important," Mr Varadkar replied.

If there's any desperation, it's the taoiseach desperately trying not to say anything critical about Mr Trump, while outlining his own government's policy which is on a different planet to POTUS. It's called diplomacy.

Damage limitation?
Again.

It's hardly "in depth" to understand the basics of one of the most contentious and difficult issues of Brexit. And one that will affect Trans Atlantic relationships for a good while.

Trump, has convinced me that he is beyond useless as a President.
One does just a little homework before undertaking such a diplomatic visit surely.

It just nuts.
And anyone that wants dealings with that is slso nuts.

The Europeans seem positively sane in comparison.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

How far does this Drumpf obsession with "walls" go?

I wonder if, seeing as London voted predominantly Remain in 2016, whilst the rest of England voted mostly Leave, he'll be proposing a wall around London? :shock:

I suppose the central reservation of the M25 would be a good place to put it. Get rid of the headlamp glare problem, at any rate. Sadiq will be delighted I'm sure :lol: . Mind you, might be a bit inconvenient for someone wanting to drive, say, from Guildford to Leatherhead, and find themselves having to go the long way around...

Or there's always the option of a wall between England and Scotland, of course. At least in that case he'll have a head start - even though it's in the wrong place...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
It's hardly "in depth" to understand the basics of one of the most contentious and difficult issues of Brexit. And one that will affect Trans Atlantic relationships for a good while.

Trump, has convinced me that he is beyond useless as a President.
One does just a little homework before undertaking such a diplomatic visit surely.

Trump owns a resort in the Republic, at Doonbeg. You might think he would want to know a bit about the country and its politics before investing.
Irish-American support for Irish Republican causes has been going on for a couple of hundred years, most recently Noraid was active. So the Irish dimension extends into USA politics.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Trump is a diplomatic numbskull as well as being a draft dodger,a multi bankrupt,a mysoginistic git,a global warming denier and narcissist of the most overt kind.
What can you expect when he knows nothing about nothing,and especially about other peoples and countries?
He's all that's bad as a human being and worst of all he's one of the most powerful men on the planet :?

Did someone say we're doomed?
With men like that in charge it ain't looking to good is it?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

reohn2 wrote:Trump is a diplomatic numbskull as well as being a draft dodger,a multi bankrupt,a mysoginistic git,a global warming denier and narcissist of the most overt kind.
What can you expect when he knows nothing about nothing,and especially about other peoples and countries?
He's all that's bad as a human being and worst of all he's one of the most powerful men on the planet :?

Did someone say we're doomed?
With men like that in charge it ain't looking to good is it?

History reveals that men like that have always been in charge, with a very few teeny-weeny exceptions. It's the nature of such men to want to be in charge and to find the means to be so.

Sometimes events are so bad, impinging on virtually all in an unmistakably bad fashion, that humans come to their senses for a brief while. Cometh that hour and cometh a bloke to match. Post WWII; Attlee. Exceptional, in every sense.

Back to the norm now, although we've yet to see the bottom of the deep (perhaps bottomless) trough of this wave of human stupidity and self-harm. Another world war will be the last until the surviving microbes evolve into Things with Big Brains.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I can't argue with that Cug.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Cugel wrote:History reveals that men like that have always been in charge, with a very few teeny-weeny exceptions. It's the nature of such men to want to be in charge and to find the means to be so.

I've wondered about this. Had Trump lived three thousand years ago, would he have been a leader of a tribe? Could Johnson have led an army into battle?

It seems to me that the people are hard-wired to recognise certain traits as being desirable in a leader, and in a past those traits came in a package along with courage, responsibility and practical skills. Many of today's leaders are altogether different. They are people who have learned to fake the easiest of those leaderly indicators - arrogance, belligerent oratory, emphatic gestures - but don't possess the qualities that matter most. These frauds are ahead of the population, that is too often inspired by the charade.

It's worth noting that, often, the courageous aren't the ones acting like baboons. No comment on their suitability for leadership, but Attlee and Heath certainly experienced the worst of warfare, as did Robert Runcie. They might lack machismo, but they put Farage and Johnson's secondhand, Eagle comic bravado into perspective.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

bovlomov wrote:It's worth noting that, often, the courageous aren't the ones acting like baboons. No comment on their suitability for leadership, but Attlee and Heath certainly experienced the worst of warfare, as did Robert Runcie. They might lack machismo, but they put Farage and Johnson's secondhand, Eagle comic bravado into perspective.

Denis Healey too.

After graduation, Healey served in the Second World War as a gunner in the Royal Artillery before being commissioned as a second lieutenant in April 1941.[4] Serving with the Royal Engineers, he saw action in the North African campaign, the Allied invasion of Sicily (1943) and the Italian campaign (1943-1945), and was the military landing officer ("beach master") for the British assault brigade at Anzio in 1944.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

bovlomov wrote:
Cugel wrote:History reveals that men like that have always been in charge, with a very few teeny-weeny exceptions. It's the nature of such men to want to be in charge and to find the means to be so.

I've wondered about this. Had Trump lived three thousand years ago, would he have been a leader of a tribe? Could Johnson have led an army into battle?

I think it depends upon the culture and the point in history. In ancient Greece, aristocracy once ruled almost unopposed. Nepotism was rife, and city states were often ruled by aristocratic dictators. Reformers gradually brought democracy to governement and transferred power away from the aristocracy. It wasn't until the 5th century BC that the principles of Greek democracy, as we think of them today, were really established.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth-century_Athens
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
slowster

Post by slowster »

bovlomov wrote:Had Trump lived three thousand years ago, would he have been a leader of a tribe? Could Johnson have led an army into battle?

I dunno about three thousand years ago, but if we wind the clock forward a bit:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caligula
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodus

I'm sure you can find plenty of others.

This one was also keen on building a big beautiful wall to keep foreigners out, but he was sane and could also do the leading an army into battle stuff:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadrian
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

bovlomov wrote:

It seems to me that the people are hard-wired to recognise certain traits as being desirable in a leader, and in a past those traits came in a package along with courage, responsibility and practical skills. Many of today's leaders are altogether different. They are people who have learned to fake the easiest of those leaderly indicators - arrogance, belligerent oratory, emphatic gestures - but don't possess the qualities that matter most. These frauds are ahead of the population, that is too often inspired by the charade.

It's worth noting that, often, the courageous aren't the ones acting like baboons. No comment on their suitability for leadership, but Attlee and Heath certainly experienced the worst of warfare, as did Robert Runcie. They might lack machismo, but they put Farage and Johnson's secondhand, Eagle comic bravado into perspective.

I'm never sure about the mapping between heroic leaders and bravery in war. This is because the behaviours involved are broad in their detail, with huge variations in type and motivation. The Eagle comic bravado is often seen in real war but can manifest as red-eyed stupidity and hatred rather than the sort of bravery required to overcome fear whilst still performing acts that are moral - even if the morality is the queer one found in warfare.

Two impressive kinds of bravery are: being a conshie in the face of tremendous social pressure to "join up"; performing vicious but necessary acts despite an inner horror of having to do so. Those who find it easy to shoot others and put themselves in harm's way just to get that opportunity strike me as nasty and stupid rather than brave.

History is a difficult thing as fundamentally it's made-up-stuff, in the sense that it's a series of stories that inevitably have the perspectives and perhaps prejudices of the historian embedded in them. "A great leader" from one perspective is "a genocidal psychopath" from another perspective.

Sometimes a leader emerges who is other than just an ideologue with particularly strong obsessive-compulsive drives or a bad case of narcissism. It generally seems to happen almost despite their own efforts, as a demand of some less-tribal zeitgeist that's arisen in their time & place. Attlee seems to have been one such, rising in politics despite being "a modest man with a lot to be modest about". He did a lot of good, not via tub-thumping oratory and the development of a Grand Personality but by being able to herd the cats of the post-war Labour Party. A different sort of leader from the usual.

Our evolved tribal nature does, as you intimate, make us suckers for the often over-aggressive behaviour of Great Leaders. But we have civil societies and many other modes of being humans together, now, that seem preferable to The Tribe. Personally I avoid politicians that are nationalist, faux-patriotic or otherwise an advocate for some modern tribe. They're just as dangerous as they always were. Moreso, as now technology has vastly increased their reach and power to do harm in the name of their tribe.

Trumpet's "Make America Great Again" seems to be ultra-tribal, in that he's going to go after this "greatness" by belittling everyone and everything else, including huge swathes of the USA populace who are "not one of us" - i.e. a Trump sycophant. Farage is another example, currently a bit of a toy rabble rousing narcissist but becoming more dangerous as he uses Brexit to acquire power and influence. Hopefully he'll not be able to manage them, as his past history indicates is likely to be the case.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Thanks for the interesting responses - none of which I challenge.

My point wasn't that these fakes and vacuous manipulators didn't exist in the past, or that strong leaders would necessarily be just, kind or democratic.

Humans have been around for a long time, and it's only in the past few thousand years that any society could have got away with having a preening coward for its leader. The Trump tribe of the pre-history Rhineland would have perished if Donald had been in charge. Most likely he had responsibility for feeding the pigs, and the job of chief was given to a responsible adult.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

slowster wrote:This one was also keen on building a big beautiful wall to keep foreigners out, but he was sane and could also do the leading an army into battle stuff:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadrian

We don't actually know the primary reason for Hadrian's wall, but it is certain that it also had a much more practical purpose; import and export control, which allowed taxation of goods.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Vorpal wrote:......... which allowed taxation of goods.
This is the nub of the matter.
Taxation of goods.

The EU cannot exist without taxation of goods.
Mick F. Cornwall