** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
old_windbag

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by old_windbag »

PDQ Mobile wrote:We make the wings in N Wales.

Add in a sprinkling of Rolls Royce engines too.
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:
pete75 wrote:
mercalia wrote:
hardly likely, you have to be VERY poor to get those and have no assets to speak of

If they were relying entirely on their EU pension they'd end up with the state pension in which case pension credit etc would be payable providing they didn't have savings of more than £10,000 and even then it tapers. CT benefit is payable if saving less than a certain amount about £15,000. That's not VERY poor by a lot people's standards. The home and personal possessions are disregarded when calculating these benefits..

well I dont know what the pensions are like in other EU countries but I would have thought they would have also had an occupational pension anyway and not just the state pension [...]

I think pete75 is suggesting that the UK would refuse to pay towards EU civil servant occupational pensions and consequently UK citizens wouldn't get paid them. viewtopic.php?p=1181529#p1181529
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

"Damn! Why is it always a McLaren?"

We were out on the tandem on Sunday and got overtaken by a McLaren on a back lane.

The prize pillock proceeded to puggle* along so slowly down the very gentle hill we were on that I was on the brakes all the way down behind him.

*autocorrect did that, but I thought it was such a good word it should stay.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

old_windbag wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:We make the wings in N Wales.

Add in a sprinkling of Rolls Royce engines too.

I was curious!
Sadly apparently not! :(
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbus_A320neo_family

Choice of two but neither are RR.

We're stuck with just a wing and a prayer.
But an expensive one at $100 million a plane.

Next time I board one I shall view it with even more wide-eyed awe (and my awe level was pretty high anyway!). :shock:
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Choice of two but neither are RR.

There's such a range of airbus aircraft that they pick the appropriate engine from a range( mostly american ) but RR gets used on some and also has interest in a joint venture between several engine manufacturers.

The dehaviland comet at the start was a beautiful aircraft and the future at that time looked good for the uk. The first jet airliner.... then the accidents started happening and the cause was actually something important to learn wrt design. Sadly it caused us to lose out to boeing, now we just make parts of airliners rather than the whole. But perhaps airbus is better than no input at all and there are still lots of avionics etc to add in too.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Audax67 wrote:Obviously a ploy to favour British-owned car manufacturers. You'll all be driving Morgans, McLarens or Caterham Sevens.

"Damn! Why is it always a McLaren?"

No, my vision is: no more new vehicles at all!

Instead existing vehicles will be repaired, welded instead of being scrapped when they fail the MoT, even being fitted with electric traction

Several problems solved at once

Malvern is famous for many things, but not for vehicle manufacture I hope
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

old_windbag wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:New vehicles exported from the EU to GB will be subject to a 10% surcharge

Is that true or a bit of fake news?

If true then that would mean a ford fiesta made in germany would be subject to that 10% as they are shipped here too. Car manufacture is multinational and the manufacturers resident in the UK that are predominantly in the mass market end are japanese. Nissan( french ownership? ), Toyota, Honda, recently it was announced vauxhall had new owners too in the EU, no longer GM. JLR is Tata owned and I think Volvo is chinese owned.... oh similar to MG in the UK.

Saw a *Vauxhall* vehicle, the chassis number is visible under the windscreen. The number begins with WO, that means it is a badge-engineered Opel and was made in Germany. Have you checked yours lately?
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Saw a *Vauxhall* vehicle, the

They, gm, used opel name across europe, it was only uk that used vauxhall on badge. Vauxhall is now part of peugeot group which caused concern that production might move to europe. I have a german made car, we ceased production of the model i have in uk 15yrs ago.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
mercalia wrote:
pete75 wrote:
If they were relying entirely on their EU pension they'd end up with the state pension in which case pension credit etc would be payable providing they didn't have savings of more than £10,000 and even then it tapers. CT benefit is payable if saving less than a certain amount about £15,000. That's not VERY poor by a lot people's standards. The home and personal possessions are disregarded when calculating these benefits..

well I dont know what the pensions are like in other EU countries but I would have thought they would have also had an occupational pension anyway and not just the state pension [...]

I think pete75 is suggesting that the UK would refuse to pay towards EU civil servant occupational pensions and consequently UK citizens wouldn't get paid them. viewtopic.php?p=1181529#p1181529

Exactly. That's what should happen if Britain refuses to meet it's pension commitments. Why should the EU pay pensions to our nationals if we're refusing to pay our share?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

old_windbag wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Saw a *Vauxhall* vehicle, the

They, gm, used opel name across europe, it was only uk that used vauxhall on badge. Vauxhall is now part of peugeot group which caused concern that production might move to europe. I have a german made car, we ceased production of the model i have in uk 15yrs ago.

Move to Europe? Do you mean *to the mainland*? :wink:
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Do you mean *to the mainland*?

Nein das Varterland :lol:
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Have another look at that "Varterland": German V is pronounced as F.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

It's spelt Vaterland anyway!

In Wales we also have a famous song '"Land of my Father's"!

My Vauxhall was assembled in Luton ( it's old) but the engine is of Japanese design but manufactured in Poland.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

PDQ Mobile wrote:It's spelt Vaterland anyway!

The test worked, thats two clear right wingers identified :wink: Now to sing the german national anthem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63-A5hj4JQU
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Ah it's a distraction from the poor spelling. :wink:
I merely pointed it out.(I have been castigated on here for less) :shock:
I don't think one needs to be right wing to hold one's father in high esteem?

Although I would say the two; "Land of my father's" and "Vaterland" express rather different sentiments.