** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Stradageek

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Stradageek »

Can someone please enlighten me on what it is the DUP want?

As far as I can tell they seem to want a 'hard Brexit' i.e. leaving the customs union AND no hard border with Eire - which seems impossible, or did I miss something obvious?

Coming to you guys because I can't seem to find a clear answer anywhere
horizon

Post by horizon »

mercalia wrote: The way Brexit-mongers have behaved shows the depravity that people can sink to?

I was agreeing with you up to this point. :evil:
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:What I fail to understand is the argument that a new referendum would be anti-democratic that it amount to the elitest govt telling the people "you got it wrong, so vote again now and get it right". Does any one really believe that utter piffle that doesnt convince a 10 year old let alone an adult? [...]

I agree. If nothing else, you can get pretty strong evidence against that by simply looking at which side the elitist Old Etonians in government are supporting, or which side puts more people on the streets and gets more millions petitioning government (both copyright images reproduced here for commentary):
Attachments
Latest Leave March: doesn't even fill all of a riverside pavement. (pic from The Journal, sourced from Steve Parsons via PA Images)
Latest Leave March: doesn't even fill all of a riverside pavement. (pic from The Journal, sourced from Steve Parsons via PA Images)
Latest Referendum March: filled Parliament Square, Whitehall and part of Trafalgar Square.
Latest Referendum March: filled Parliament Square, Whitehall and part of Trafalgar Square.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Stradageek wrote:Can someone please enlighten me on what it is the DUP want?

As far as I can tell they seem to want a 'hard Brexit' i.e. leaving the customs union AND no hard border with Eire - which seems impossible, or did I miss something obvious?

The DUP might tell you but I doubt if it would be coherent. They make me think of the end of Poe's story, The Masque of the Red Death:

And the life of the ebony clock went out with
that of the last of the gay. And the flames of the
tripods expired. And Darkness and Decay and the
Red Death held illimitable dominion over all.

Except that for Red Death you substitute right-wing Orange evangelism.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

If you should ever find out I expect the DUP will be interested. I'm pretty sure that they don't know.
John
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

mjr wrote:...or which side puts more people on the streets and gets more millions petitioning government (both copyright images reproduced here for commentary):
Hmmm.... I'll say this for the Leavers, they sure had plenty more elbow-room than us Remainers, on the march! In Parliament Square, the crush was so great that we could hardly breathe - let alone force our way through to a less crowded part of the Square (a friendly policeman tried to advise us, as we were both feeling the strain - but the way he pointed merely led us into the thickest part of the crowd...)

Perhaps I should join the Brexit*eers march, next time? :shock: At least it would be a bit more comfortable. Might even bring a cat to swing... :lol:

BTW - it wasn't all Remainers on our march. I definitely passed one guy brandishing what looked like a Leave poster, in Traf. Sq. He seemed to be exchanging cheery greetings with the rest of us as we walked past, but he looked a bit lonesome. At least he wasn't getting any abuse....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mjr

Post by mjr »

661-Pete wrote:BTW - it wasn't all Remainers on our march. I definitely passed one guy brandishing what looked like a Leave poster, in Traf. Sq. He seemed to be exchanging cheery greetings with the rest of us as we walked past, but he looked a bit lonesome. At least he wasn't getting any abuse....

We saw a couple of those, including the Brexit-is-God's-Will guy on Piccadilly again, plus one small group on Whitehall were shouting Leave slogans, but when they started shoving marchers, some officers of the Met invited them to leave (I'm not sure how forcefully).

Did you see any witty slogans? I particularly liked ones saying something like "Boris's deal is just lipstick on a pig (Don't tell David Cameron)" and "I blame those Keep Calm and Carry On tea towels. It was a trap all along!"
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I assume Piffle will be ignoring the Open Letter for a 2nd Confirmatory Vote https://www.peoples-vote.uk/letter.

But I do winder if larger numbers might help say those MPs wavering which might swing the balance to get such an amendment passed. Maybe this is a bit different as it is not something the Government can just ignore as it's not only going to affect them i.e. the Government don't have to decide to debate or follow a policy but other parties have to decide to add an amendment and MPs have to vote for it and they might be more receptive to public opinion expressed through such means (more receptive that Piffle and his band of Brexit fanatics).

Ian
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

mjr wrote:
661-Pete wrote:BTW - it wasn't all Remainers on our march. I definitely passed one guy brandishing what looked like a Leave poster, in Traf. Sq. He seemed to be exchanging cheery greetings with the rest of us as we walked past, but he looked a bit lonesome. At least he wasn't getting any abuse....

We saw a couple of those, including the Brexit-is-God's-Will guy on Piccadilly again, plus one small group on Whitehall were shouting Leave slogans, but when they started shoving marchers, some officers of the Met invited them to leave (I'm not sure how forcefully).
Our guy had what seemed to be a Brex*it St George slaying the EU dragon. Or was it the other way around? Mrs P didn't take a piccy, sorry.

There was also a group of guys in a pub, knocking back Stellas and yelling "Bye Bye EU!" or something like that. I did point out to them that they were drinking Belgian beer....

So many slogans - sorry can't remember any in particular.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

661-Pete wrote:
There was also a group of guys in a pub, knocking back Stellas and yelling "Bye Bye EU!" or something like that. I did point out to them that they were drinking Belgian beer....

Doubtful. It would almost certainly have been the UK brewed imitation Stella commonly known as wifebeater.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Debs

Post by Debs »

pete75 wrote:
661-Pete wrote:

Doubtful. It would almost certainly have been the UK brewed imitation Stella commonly known as wifebeater.

So the genuine Belgian brewed Stella Artois beer, long remembered for being far more refreshing and classer than most larger-beers; has sadly become replaced by UK's estranged urinal coloured belch fluid version. But is this really just another analogy of Brexit?

We should be told.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

pete75 wrote:
661-Pete wrote:

OK OK. But the pub guys wouldn't have known that - or wouldn't have cared if they did.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

I could tell you but the rude word filter won't allow it.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

661-Pete wrote:
pete75 wrote:
661-Pete wrote:

OK OK. But the pub guys wouldn't have known that - or wouldn't have cared if they did.

As Brexiters they will be pleased it's manufactured here.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

to all the Brexiters (remainers need not reply, we don't want your negativity)

What are you most looking forward to when we leave?

What laws do you want to see made or abolished in this brave new world?
NUKe