** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by mercalia »

pete75 wrote:
merseymouth wrote:Hi Mercallia, Page one of the Business Section, Tuesday 19th March 2019. Continued on page seven.
If could of course be Trump's Favourite, "Fake News"?
TTFN MM

That really tell us a lot doesn't it?

i am just as mystified
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote:
merseymouth wrote:Hi Mercallia, Page one of the Business Section, Tuesday 19th March 2019. Continued on page seven.
TTFN MM

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/swiss-eu-re ... s/44833094 may be the same news. MM - is it?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mjr wrote:
pete75 wrote:
TTFN MM

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/swiss-eu-re ... s/44833094 may be the same news. MM - is it?

ah I like the term "cohesion payments" :lol:
PH

Post by PH »

kwackers wrote:That way if the EU tries to do something they don't like they can simply vote against it and the EU requires all member states to agree on something else it can't happen.

That isn't how it works, most decisions are made by qualified majority voting, this varies but it's commonly 55% of states (used to be 75%) and 65% of the population. There are proposals to increase QMV and reduce the need for unanimity, including on matters of tax.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

click to enlarge
click to enlarge
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Oh the irony! The hard supporters of brexit, along with the hard hearted DUP, are well on the way to scuppering Brexit. They had their chance and kept voting against it. That and, of course, the intransigent PM refusing over 30 months to make any attempt at finding a consensus.

The real flaw is Brexit itself: there are no happy endings. We may yet end up with a hard Brexit since the EU is in no mood for anything lengthy extensions.
John
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

mercalia wrote:
merseymouth wrote:Hi all :) , Has anyone else seen the troubles that Swtzerland is having with the E.U.?
Reported in the Telegraph that the E.U. is getting nasty with the Swiss demanding that it either rolls over and cedes every type of control to Brussels or it will screw them up!
Centuries of neutrality count for nothing when the profession Brussels Mafia set their sights on you.
TTFN MM

reference?

The book of wild. unfounded claims about the EU ?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I think he is talking about https://www.euractiv.com/section/uk-eur ... confusion/
Here's a little more information from the FT from last year https://www.ft.com/content/d596a2a8-f86 ... a24bd5409c

For those who can't be bothered to read it all, the EU want Switzerland to comply with more EU rules, including freedom of movement. They are threatening various things, including equivalence for Swiss equities markets, which would cost them more to trade in Europe, and other Europeans more to trade in Switzerland. Switzerland have negotiated lots of deals with the EU, but lack support in goverment to ratify them all. If it is put to referendum, it will almost certianly fail.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, The link posted about the Swiss problem certainly seems to be correct, but then again if I am supposed to have voted wrongly in our poll then my perspective will be distorted won't it?
My quick take on all of it is simple, if not simplistic, the E.U. Commission sets the agenda with the Parliament obliged to toe the line.
The E.U. model has a very limited range, One Size must fit all! Even the Euro Zone is a distorted set-up, which was doomed from the start because of the imbalance of fiscal probity of the member states.
Some of the members must have told porkies about meeting the required tests of suitability? Honesty over fiscal matters isn't always present, aspiration overrides truth.
The "Super State" idea is always creates issues between countries that have widely different econimy models.
Not "If" problems will arise, but "When"! Just like streaming in education. IGICB MM
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

It does make me smile....

There were a number of agreements that were expiring and negotiating
Switzerland asked for some concessions
The EU said that they cam as a pair... if you want A, it comes with B

There is however a direct parallel with Brexit

Both Switzerland and the UK had a number of demands and expected the EU just to roll over and accept them

In both cases, the EU is very, very naughty for having their own interests and actually daring to negotiate
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oldjohnw wrote:Oh the irony! The hard supporters of brexit, along with the hard hearted DUP, are well on the way to scuppering Brexit. They had their chance and kept voting against it. That and, of course, the intransigent PM refusing over 30 months to make any attempt at finding a consensus.

The real flaw is Brexit itself: there are no happy endings. We may yet end up with a hard Brexit since the EU is in no mood for anything lengthy extensions.

That is the worst fear and will be brought about by sheer incompetence and selfishness on the government and parliament's part.
Did someone say you couldn't make it up?

We live in hope that Brexit is scuppered and the Tory party sinks into oblivion.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

merseymouth wrote:Hi all, The link posted about the Swiss problem certainly seems to be correct, but then again if I am supposed to have voted wrongly in our poll then my perspective will be distorted won't it?
My quick take on all of it is simple, if not simplistic, the E.U. Commission sets the agenda with the Parliament obliged to toe the line.
The E.U. model has a very limited range, One Size must fit all! Even the Euro Zone is a distorted set-up, which was doomed from the start because of the imbalance of fiscal probity of the member states.
Some of the members must have told porkies about meeting the required tests of suitability? Honesty over fiscal matters isn't always present, aspiration overrides truth.
The "Super State" idea is always creates issues between countries that have widely different econimy models.
Not "If" problems will arise, but "When"! Just like streaming in education. IGICB MM

Wait 'til we try do do deals with the US and Japan! We'll soon enough Iearn about power imbalance.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 20 Mar 2019, 9:27am, edited 1 time in total.
John
ANTONISH

Re: Anyone else putting off touring decisions due to Br***t?

Post by ANTONISH »

londoncommuter0000 wrote:
durhambiker wrote:
reohn2 wrote:So what's the upside for the common wo/man?
Please dont say taking back control,that's a fallacy disproven elsewhere on the forum.

Disproven? How...you mean disagreed with!!.

No, disproven. Or rather - proven to be abject lies. The UK has never 'lost control' either of our borders or of our country. The EU does not and never has 'ruled' Britain, and has never had any desire to do so. The UK does not require the approval of the EU to police our borders, and has never had to seek such approval.

While we maintained nominal control of immigration external to the EU we did surrender control of immigration from within the EU.
The problem as I see it with the EU is the intention of the hierarchy of the EU to move towards ever closer political union - effectively a United States of Europe with in the fullness of time a European defence force. I voted to remain within the European economic community - not the EU
Apologies for going off topic.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oldjohnw wrote:
merseymouth wrote:Hi all, The link posted about the Swiss problem certainly seems to be correct, but then again if I am supposed to have voted wrongly in our poll then my perspective will be distorted won't it?

Wait 'till we try do do deals with the US and Japan! We'll soon enough Iearn about power imbalance.

Oh so well said.
Those evil Europeans and their intransigent laws(that the UK helped formulate willingly),opposed to those really nice neolibral capitalists across the pond and their lovable president,and those nice and polite Japenese people we've made business so hard for them to make cars here,they'll pull us out of the mire we've created for ourselves......... ......won't they :shock:
W H Auden
reohn2

Re: Anyone else putting off touring decisions due to Br***t?

Post by reohn2 »

Sorry missed this post
durhambiker wrote:
reohn2 wrote:So what's the upside for the common wo/man?
Please dont say taking back control,that's a fallacy disproven elsewhere on the forum.

Disproven? How...you mean disagreed with!!.

No disproven for the reason given by Londoncommuter.

In answer to Antonish's post above
As for USE and all that entails,it won't happen unless all states agree with a EU wide vote so I can't see it myself.Though to TBH the way our government shapes up it wouldn't be such a bad thing.
And free movement of people across the EU comes hand in hand with frictionless trading with which we helped formulate.
Last edited by reohn2 on 20 Mar 2019, 9:35am, edited 2 times in total.
W H Auden