** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by mercalia »

so there might have to be MEP elections? did we have to vote there I cant remember? If we did maybe we should all BOYCOTT them so NONE get elected to show our displeasure about howthey have all behaved in parliaament? No one is happy with thw way theyu have bvehaved, Brexit-eer or re mainer?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pete75 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Except you just had it. :lol:

Somehow I knew you'd be back :wink:

And you too :wink:

Yes but no but it's all about the final word so I can be winnah of the internet :D
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
reohn2 wrote:That's settled

Please quote me rather more completely - there is some significant context below the part you have selected which is intended to be helpful, and which casts some light on the efficacy of the definition presented for other readers.

I believe I answered all parts of your post.
Life is simply too short to have a to-and-fro over that, though, so when one school found a definition in a dictionary he was declared the winner :D
Other definitions are available for a google search: https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dicti ... ltra-right which support an alternative pov but it's clear that you're happy with where you are, so that's fine

The whole to and fro hinges on the term 'ultra rightwing',we differ on the meaning pete75 posted the meaning in a dictionary which I agree with,though initially didn't seek a dictionary meaning myself,but formulated my opinion more on my life experience,my opinions maybe more extreme than yours and I make no apologies for them.

My opinion is that the current government is a neolibralist capital consortium of selfseeking idiots,headed by an idiot who was manoeuvred into position as a human shield to take the flak,whilst ultra rightwing sinister and evil people of which I'm sure you know who I mean,shuffle themselves in line to take power and consequently the country into disaster for their own ends.
That's the game as I see it being played out currently YVMV mine won't.

The phrase is ultra right though, which does have a clear meaning. Italian football clubs have their 'Ultras', as they call themselves, for instance.

Much as our politics may have similar leanings and sympathies, I can't apply that term to JRM and the (totally reprehensible) Daily Mail, or we simply run out of road, as it were, for the true extremists.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Just to say that while we are discussing the fine points of whatever, Theresa seems to be edging towards getting her deal through next week. It's 50/50 at the moment and that's without a fourth MV which might make it game, set and match.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Re. The last word
The last word is rather important. Because it's the one that the memory retains "freshest".

Not in a simple exchange but rather as a propaganda tool on media.
One to watch out for.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:The phrase is ultra right though, which does have a clear meaning. Italian football clubs have their 'Ultras', as they call themselves, for instance.

Much as our politics may have similar leanings and sympathies, I can't apply that term to JRM and the (totally reprehensible) Daily Mail, or we simply run out of road, as it were, for the true extremists.

I'd dump JRM in the same bin as the rest of the 'ultras' same evil just different facet,Trump is in there too.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

horizon wrote:Just to say that while we are discussing the fine points of whatever, Theresa seems to be edging towards getting her deal through next week. It's 50/50 at the moment and that's without a fourth MV which might make it game, set and match.

well if she does that will complete my utter contempt for the lot of them that voted for her
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Re. The last word
The last word is rather important. Because it's the one that the memory retains "freshest".

Not in a simple exchange but rather as a propaganda tool on media.
One to watch out for.

Quite!
Boney challenged my use of the term 'ultra rightwing',I seek no last word on it just expressing my opinion as I see it and as I posted previously it won't change.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

mercalia wrote:
horizon wrote:Just to say that while we are discussing the fine points of whatever, Theresa seems to be edging towards getting her deal through next week. It's 50/50 at the moment and that's without a fourth MV which might make it game, set and match.

well if she does that will complete my utter contempt for the lot of them that voted for her

A deal relying on the ERG or DUP might push some of the less deranged Tory MPs into the other lobby. Many of them will know that May's half-baked deal will probably see the end of the union and guarantee a generation of uncertainty, recriminations and decline. Given the low attendance at Farage's March on Rome, facing up to the Will of the People might not be as daunting as MPs feared.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cugel wrote:
pwa wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:
It's a fair point about Cameron in that he was the status quo I suppose.
I voted for the EU actually.

But Mogg and his views were very prominent in the Leave campaign.

You voted against the EU, against the status quo and for what Rees Mogg had supported.
Or did you think you could have one without the other?

Do we have to play this game? If Mogg supported something I already wanted, I don't care. I didn't get anything from him, Farage or anyone else you can name. You voted for the EU, not for Cameron. I voted against membership of the EU, not for Farage or a bunch of Brexit Tories who I didn't have much regard for. We both voted for ideas.

Too true - we who voted did so in support of "ideas". But not the one or two singular ones oft mentioned hereabouts (and not for any at all, with those who voted only on "my feelings").

When you voted for Remain as portrayed as a simple choice on a ballot paper, you also voted for a huge raft of other ideas that would have come with those politicians who would thereby gain ascendancy if Remain had "won". That would have been Cameron's Tory Party with it's ever-increasing austerity, privatisation and probably the TTIP, inclusive of the protection racket rewards to Big Corp and others with a government contract allowing them to fail then sue the government for their lost profits.

When you voted to Leave, you voted for whatever ideas have in fact emerged from the current chaos which, considering various forecasts, are all likely to result in a dystopia, perhaps even a fascist UK State or it's left-wing equivalent. Perhaps no UK at all, as it fragments into the original kingdoms or even smaller parishes. "Leave" came with as many, and perhaps more, consequential notion-promotions as did Remain, including various degrees of xenophobia up to and including racism; rabid nationalism of the kind often found as precursor to fascism; a desire for revolutionary acts likely to lead to the usual results of revolutions for both "the foreign" and most "native" citizens (death and degradation).

The referendum was a huge political error as it's been an enormous amplifier for all sorts of latent nastiness that might otherwise have remained just latent.

The apparently simple choice of Remain or Leave was never any such thing. Political decisions, especially ones of such moment, never are. And what we chose was also who we chose.

Cugel

You are drifting off onto different territory there. My point was solely about JRM, BoJo, etc not being influential in my wish to leave the EU, indeed, I found it uncomfortable voting the way they would want me to much as R2 would have felt a tinge of discomfort voting with George O and Cameron. And going back further in the thread, I feel that calling JRM Far Right (by which I imagine EDL) is just a mis-labelling. It may satisfy the desire to name calling but it is mis-labelling all the same. Tory Right is the term I would opt for. You can still dislike it with that term, but not confuse it with something of a different character.
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:

Indeed. MV2 was already dodgy in many ways but debatably not exactly the same as MV1 because of slight tweaks that maybe meant it wasn't unconstitutionally asking the same parliament the same question twice. There are unlikely to be any more tweaks between MV2 and MV3, so it seems like it would be clearly unconstitutional. If we get MV4, we're probably going to be at full-on constitutional crisis, the Speaker and the PM facing off, cats lying with dogs and metaphorical fire and brimstone engulfing the palace of Westminster.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Meanwhile, the Leave Means Lies march has started off with a tiny fraction of the numbers seen on the last Europhile march, Farage has already taken at least two buses, there's been at least one punching of an anti-Brexit protester and their main bus is open-top despite the rain. With leaders like that, it's not really suprising Leave has turned into such a harmful farce.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:so there might have to be MEP elections? did we have to vote there I cant remember? If we did maybe we should all BOYCOTT them so NONE get elected to show our displeasure about howthey have all behaved in parliaament? No one is happy with thw way theyu have bvehaved, Brexit-eer or re mainer?

Election results are still valid even if there's low turnouts. Even if only the candidates voted for themselves, that would be taken as enough, with drawing of straws to break any ties. The first set of police commissioners were elected in 2012 on a turnout below 16%, a record peacetime low.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

mjr wrote:... The first set of police commissioners were elected in 2012 on a turnout below 16%, a record peacetime low.

Another of Teresa May's scheme's during her now-notorious term as Home Secretary.
pliptrot

Post by pliptrot »

I am a Briton living in Germany. I travel 3 weeks out of 4 outside the EU for work. I will leave for Australia on the 29th of this month and at the end of April may not be allowed back. It says much that free movement of capital is assured but people have no such rights. The British Government has played fast and loose with British citizens in the EU. That hostility will not be forgotten. The incompetence of May's Government will never be forgotten, because she - and all Brexiteers- have done irreconcilable damage to The UK. Mick F and his chums can be as they are; they have assured pensions. Some of us chose not to go kicking the living daylights out of Argentinian conscripts, we thought we would get involved with wealth creation. How stupid of us.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-G900F using hovercraft full of eels.