** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
windmiller

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby windmiller » 18 May 2019, 3:12pm

The post is typed by a person just as words are spoken by a person, (can't believe I'm having to explain this) Words which are posts too actually carry more legal gravitas than the spoken word. I prefer to pay attention to common sense. it''s easier and less garrulous. An opinion can be attacked without attacking the person who is giving it, not always easy as can be seen from this thread.

windmiller

Postby windmiller » 18 May 2019, 3:18pm

pete75 wrote:
661-Pete wrote:
pete75 wrote:AKA Blackshirt. The authentic voice of the unthinking right.
I concur with your opinion of Windy's posts here, but perhaps best not to use such language. It only gives him ammo.

I was referring to former poster Blackbike. If windy says it's referring to him then they are one and the same.

[b]
If windy says it's referring to him then they are one and the same.

I suppose this is what you mean when you say you have never accused me of being Blackbike

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 18 May 2019, 3:22pm

Anyway, back to the issues...

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 18 May 2019, 4:05pm

Bonefishblues wrote:Anyway, back to the issues...

Ah ha! The isue for WIndy is to be .... windy. He has nothing to say but enjoys wind-ing up his various would-be interlocutors with his flapperty. There is obviously no interest in the WIndy to have a discussion. Posturing his "hurt feelings" is much more exciting than reasoning about the pros & cons of EU membership.

Wot is Windy's prime drive here? We will never know, understand or care. Well, I won't. :-)

Cugel

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 18 May 2019, 5:02pm

windmiller wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
windmiller wrote:what's to fear from a second referendom? Well nothing at all if you couldn't care less about implementing the democratic rights of the majority of the voters.

No more General Elections, then. 2017 should stand forever.

If a democracy cannot change its mind it is not a democracy.

That is a weak reply. In a democracy when a democratic vote is taken the decision of the majority has always been implemented. That's how democracy works- until now. Nobody has said anything about forever.

Not quite.

The 'winning' side has to make compromises and negotiations in order for its policies to be implemented. Sometimes the policies don't make the statute book. And after 5 years max there is another attempt. The winning side don't have carte blanche to do what they want.
John

Cycling and recycling

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 18 May 2019, 9:05pm

Windmiller
I'm not going to get into the name calling etc,but I don't think you using terms such a "throwing their dummies out of the pram" etc furthers anything in this debate as much as the slurs and name calling by others doesn't.
There's been a referendum,the Brexit campaign was illegally funded,based on a pack of lies by shysters who misled a lot of people by their lies and illegal behaviour,since then a lot of people have realised that,and a lot of people are better educated now about the detrimental effects of leaving will have on the UK.
I voted remain in the referendum and was prepared to accept the result,but as more and more lies unfolded about the way the leave campaign was conducted l changed my mind.
I now find the result totally unacceptable,that's why I want to see a second referendum and I don't want see this country sink any lower than it already is,for the sake of all the people who live here be they UK nationals or immigrants, whatever creed or colour.

I firmly believe the Tory party and it's neoliberalist agenda is killing this country and that Brexit will only make matters worse,much worse.
I won't go into details as that agenda has been exposed many times on this thread already.
Last edited by reohn2 on 18 May 2019, 9:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 18 May 2019, 9:12pm

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
roubaixtuesday wrote:
Mick F wrote:Hey ho!
Round the buoy again and again and again.

I'm saying (yet again) that I have been taken in by no-one.
I want out, and out asap.

I will vote for whomever I like. The choices here are:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48081663

Who do people think I should vote for? :wink:

Mick, if what you want is “out and ASAP”, and assuming that you stand by your earlier statement that this must be “simple” then it’s very clear.

It matters not a jot who you vote for. You might as well ask for who you should vote for to get Cornwall relocated to the Southern hemisphere ASAP.

You believe “out and ASAP” is “simple”? You’ve been taken in.

Yet again! you have fallen back to that rotten old chestnut.
Which bit of condescending do you not understand.
You have to accept that in life many people make decisions without any reason whatsoever simply because they want to.
And example is General election or any less votes, how many people do you think actually read the manifesto before voting for the party.
It still comes back to the individual preference for whatever reason, To vote their way.

I understand that if you are tied to the EU like to work abroad your family also rely on them for income et cetera you're likely to favour The EU.
Indirectly we all are, but I like many others do not want to be joined by the hip and cut off of the neck waving the EU flag.
British politics is corrupt Then what about the EU?
Things have changed? They might well have but you only have your polls to back up your predictions of victory.
My prediction is that the EU will struggle after we leave.
some of the countries were already on the verge of bankruptcy.
Little Britain will be better and survive with more independence.

(Typed of speech)
Nicely put.
Thank you.
Mick F. Cornwall

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 18 May 2019, 10:03pm

IT should be noted that apart from the Lib Dems and Greens thr proposals for a further referendum is not to rerun the 2016 one but to put the deal to th people for a vote since Parliament appears unable to make its mind up. That seems quite democratic.
John

Cycling and recycling

mjr

Postby mjr » 18 May 2019, 10:48pm

I saw loads of illegal Brexit Party flyposts on road signs while riding out on the fens today. I hope they get banned and heavily fined for that cheating, disrespectful, anti democratic, antisocial behaviour. They couldn't win a regular campaign so they have to hide their manifesto and cheat with their posters.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 18 May 2019, 11:11pm

mjr wrote:I saw loads of illegal Brexit Party flyposts on road signs while riding out on the fens today. I hope they get banned and heavily fined for that cheating, disrespectful, anti democratic, antisocial behaviour. They couldn't win a regular campaign so they have to hide their manifesto and cheat with their posters.

Farage on TV this-evening seems to have a wider agenda but still without telling anybody what he plans to do. This-evening he said
We're about much more than just Brexit now ..."

But seems people plan to vote for him without knowing what that "much more" is. And Arooon Banks and Farange could cook-up all sorts of stuff very far from the interests of the electorate (maybe with Trump's help?).

Ian

PDQ Mobile

Postby PDQ Mobile » 18 May 2019, 11:38pm

Am I missing something here?
"People are going to vote for him".

They are going to vote for the Brexit party which will dissolve itself because it won't have a seat upon which to sit? From day one? Or will they draw a EU salary for a few days?
If you understand me?

And this "more than about Brexit now", will of course, depend upon further success at a general election (at a date yet to be announced), standing on policies yet to be announced but one policy won't be Brexit?
Which is their only present policy and platform?

I think I may be in the wrong film.

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 18 May 2019, 11:41pm

Hello again, Nice to see that when mention is made of a democratic process being divert, distorted etc mention was made that Trump lost the popular vote yet won the Presidency?
Just like our first past the post system the US College Votes System has flaws, so no consensus is likely to happen.
So Back we go to Electorial Reform, to try and find a better system!
Explaining the Single Transferable Vote system was very poorly done last time such reform was attempted. Maybe the explanation presented by A.P. Herbert needs to have wider coverage?
And no, you may not borrow my copy of "The Point of Parliament"! I should be reprinted, after all Mein Kampt is freely available. IGICB MM

belgiangoth

Postby belgiangoth » 19 May 2019, 12:42am

merseymouth wrote:Explaining the Single Transferable Vote system was very poorly done last time such reform was attempted. Maybe the explanation presented by A.P. Herbert needs to have wider coverage?

Since that referendum AV has been used in elections for Mayors and Crime Commissioners; I thin kit's familiar enough that it would get passed this time round.
Unless the Brexit party get >50% of the vote in the EU elections it suggests that the public does not support a hard Brexit. Unfortunately it is not clear what the majority of the public want - but for some reason MPs are scared to ask the public (or they have done on a local level - like my MP has - but it has not been reported).
If I had a baby elephant I would let it sleep in the garage in place of the car. If I had either a garage or a car. (I miss sigs about baby elephants)

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 19 May 2019, 7:12am

So tory Brexiters in Parliament are saying that they will vote down Mrs May's deal again.

You'd think they didn't want to leave. The irony: that we haven't left, despite what people keep calling a democratic mandate and expressing frustration that their winning vote has not been acted on, is entirely down to people who claim they want to leave!
John

Cycling and recycling

Lance Dopestrong

Postby Lance Dopestrong » 19 May 2019, 7:26am

As an outsider looking in, I'm not sure the people who voted 'out' want any sort of deal. Asking the people I know who voted out and they do seem to be mainly of the opinion that out means out - no deals, arrangements, or grandfather contracts lingering on. Perhaps the disgruntled conservative levers are doing no more than acknowledging that? To be fair to that point of view, it was an in or out vote, with no 'halfway house in between some kind of special deal' option.
https://themediocrecyclist.home.blog
Self employed MIAS L5.B Instructor.
Warwickshire Lowland Rescue Bike lead.
IPMBA certified member.
Cyctech C2 hammer and crowbar bodger.
Lapsed CTC Ride Leader, amateur hour stuff from the fun old days.