** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pwa
Posts: 12412
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby pwa » 27 May 2019, 3:46pm

roubaixtuesday wrote:
pwa wrote:We live in interesting times. There appears to be the beginning of a move in Labour to a more unequivocal Remain position, but some of Labour's heartland constituencies were some of the places where the Brexit Party did best. Could a Labour victory at a general election happen without them winning their traditional safe seats in towns like Middlesbrough? I can't see it, but I could be wrong. I think a clearly pro-Remain Labour would lose seats it would need to form a government.


This is probably true, however unless Labour now becomes clearly pro remain, or at least pro second vote,
it will clearly lose far more seats elsewhere.

They are between a rock and a hard place, and are deliberately trying to maintain an ambiguous policy as a result. They've been deserted by both sets of voters as a result.

I think that is right.

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 8698
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Cully
Contact:

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby al_yrpal » 27 May 2019, 3:47pm

Mick F wrote:Back to the Scotland thing and the weather ..................
.


What about the midges Mick? Possibly you lived in the Navy houses at Rhu? My cockney mate lives close to there. Its impossible to sit outside in warm weather, you get bitten to pieces.

Rode up to Oban a few times from there to get to the Outers and Mull, or you can take the train. Great for windsurfing and Sailing, and good for getting into Glasgow on the train. But I too wouldnt want to live there. In Cully now...

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 11800
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 27 May 2019, 3:49pm

Hi,
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_modern_school
Went to boys Secondary modern, then merged with local girls Secondary modern, now called comprehensive.
Early 70s in England
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comprehensive_school
Last edited by NATURAL ANKLING on 27 May 2019, 3:52pm, edited 1 time in total.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

mr bajokoses
Posts: 513
Joined: 13 Dec 2007, 5:19pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby mr bajokoses » 27 May 2019, 3:50pm

reohn2 wrote:I agree,I wasn't meaning BXP they'll be lacking any kind of depth come the next GE,but for a long time now UK two party politricks has been dire to say the least,lackjng in any kind of coherent vision and totally lacking in how to face the future for the good of all.


FPTP is proving to be completely unfit for purpose IMO, exposed by every election as failing to represent the public and crushing the smaller parties and their ability to bring compromise into politics.

One of the biggest lies of many was that 80% of the electorate backed brexit in the 2017 GE because they voted Tory or Labour. Totally ignoring the fact that many remainers voted tactically within the constraints of FPTP for Labour to weaken Theresa May. Corbyn and his useless advisers took this result as an endorsement of all he stood for. The opportunity to vote in a proportional election for MEPs has exposed Corbyn's utter lack of appeal to the broad electorate. Many Labour MPs and ex-MEPs are now highly critical of their party's 'leadership'.

The trouble is, if we had a GE now, under FPTP, who could a remainer vote for?

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 8698
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Cully
Contact:

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby al_yrpal » 27 May 2019, 4:10pm

reohn2 wrote:Care to explain who the "far left" are?
IMO anyone can be termed "far left" if viewed from the far right.


Corbyn and his Shadow Chancellor, Denis Skinner, and all those shadowy folk who mysteriously appeared in droves from the shadows as supporters of the Labour Party forming Militant. Some of them were active in the 70s and early 80s and some never belonged to a political party at all. Labour has many really good caring moderate MPs who risk deselection from these people who are numerous. Be very afraid...

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

User avatar
bovlomov
Posts: 4202
Joined: 5 Apr 2007, 7:45am
Contact:

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby bovlomov » 27 May 2019, 4:14pm

mr bajokoses wrote:The trouble is, if we had a GE now, under FPTP, who could a remainer vote for?

These results were by borough rather than by constituency, so I can't be certain...

...but Lib Dems + ChangeUK got more votes than BrexitParty + Tories. My Brexity Tory MP (majority 300ish) looks like a goner.

mr bajokoses
Posts: 513
Joined: 13 Dec 2007, 5:19pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby mr bajokoses » 27 May 2019, 4:19pm

bovlomov wrote:
mr bajokoses wrote:The trouble is, if we had a GE now, under FPTP, who could a remainer vote for?

These results were by borough rather than by constituency, so I can't be certain...

...but Lib Dems + ChangeUK got more votes than BrexitParty + Tories. My Brexity Tory MP (majority 300ish) looks like a goner.


Excellent - so Lib Dems and ChangeUK must coalesce. Can either side stomach it?

Will FPTP habits die hard?

I was very happy that my ghastly Tory MP (David Nuttall) got the boot in 2017. Also happy to get a decent Labour MP (as Al says many of them are). Not at all happy that my vote to ditch Nuttall was interpreted as a vote for brexit.

windmiller
Posts: 579
Joined: 9 Feb 2009, 5:10pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby windmiller » 27 May 2019, 4:22pm

The doom merchants and their fellow replicants continue to lal la la la all on the same note. I have more faith in this cake filled misery laden grey old island to prosper under democracy than most remainers do. Cheer up you have the general election to look forward to. I'm sure the sincere Lib dems and Willy Wonker land Greens will save the day for you.

mr bajokoses
Posts: 513
Joined: 13 Dec 2007, 5:19pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby mr bajokoses » 27 May 2019, 4:24pm

windmiller wrote:The doom merchants and their fellow replicants continue to lal la la la all on the same note. I have more faith in this cake filled misery laden grey old island to prosper under democracy than most remainers do. Cheer up you have the general election to look forward to. I'm sure the sincere Lib dems and Willy Wonker land Greens will save the day for you.


That's quite some contribution to the debate - thanks.

roubaixtuesday
Posts: 3114
Joined: 18 Aug 2015, 7:05pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby roubaixtuesday » 27 May 2019, 4:30pm

mr bajokoses wrote: Not at all happy that my vote to ditch Nuttall was interpreted as a vote for brexit.


The confirmation bias on display from politicians of all stripes desperate not to see the challenges to their own positions from this vote are quite something to behold.

windmiller
Posts: 579
Joined: 9 Feb 2009, 5:10pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby windmiller » 27 May 2019, 4:30pm

mr bajokoses wrote:
windmiller wrote:The doom merchants and their fellow replicants continue to lal la la la all on the same note. I have more faith in this cake filled misery laden grey old island to prosper under democracy than most remainers do. Cheer up you have the general election to look forward to. I'm sure the sincere Lib dems and Willy Wonker land Greens will save the day for you.


That's quite some contribution to the debate - thanks.


Polite sarcasm is always appreciated - deeply honoured

sjs
Posts: 808
Joined: 24 Jan 2010, 10:08pm
Location: Hitchin

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby sjs » 27 May 2019, 4:45pm

Paulatic wrote:I left school in 1968 they were still a Secondary Modern then. Was sometime in the 70s when things changed


I left in '69, and went to the local grammar. Secondary moderns definitely still existed in our area for a number of years after that. And in those places where grammar schools still exist then so do secondary moderns, whatever they are called.

Mike Sales
Posts: 5073
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Mike Sales » 27 May 2019, 4:50pm

sjs wrote:
Paulatic wrote:I left school in 1968 they were still a Secondary Modern then. Was sometime in the 70s when things changed


I left in '69, and went to the local grammar. Secondary moderns definitely still existed in our area for a number of years after that. And in those places where grammar schools still exist then so do secondary moderns, whatever they are called.


One of my nephews passed the 11+ and attends the Grammar School I left fifty years ago. The other did not and is at a school called High.

Oldjohnw
Posts: 4503
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Oldjohnw » 27 May 2019, 4:59pm

windmiller wrote:The doom merchants and their fellow replicants continue to lal la la la all on the same note. I have more faith in this cake filled misery laden grey old island to prosper under democracy than most remainers do. Cheer up you have the general election to look forward to. I'm sure the sincere Lib dems and Willy Wonker land Greens will save the day for you.



Does anyone know what this actually means?
John

roubaixtuesday
Posts: 3114
Joined: 18 Aug 2015, 7:05pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby roubaixtuesday » 27 May 2019, 5:02pm

Oldjohnw wrote:Does anyone know what this actually means?


Sure. It roughly translates as "It's fun winding up people I disagree with. I bet this will get them going"