** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
kwackers

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby kwackers » 13 Jul 2019, 3:58pm

brynpoeth wrote:Just realised what is my favourite cycle component-the chain!

I've a whole box of them here you can have, all desperate for a second home.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 13 Jul 2019, 4:03pm

kwackers wrote:
brynpoeth wrote:Just realised what is my favourite cycle component-the chain!

I've a whole box of them here you can have, all desperate for a second home.

Thread drift, my chance! Are they worn out? May one combine different types of chain? What should one do with old chains, surely they can be made into new chains? What about the history and development of chains, who invented them? Hoping for some interesting answers instead of b-----t :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 13 Jul 2019, 4:12pm

brynpoeth wrote:Thread drift, my chance! Are they worn out? May one combine different types of chain? What should one do with old chains, surely they can be made into new chains? What about the history and development of chains, who invented them? Hoping for some interesting answers instead of b-----t :wink:

Worn out is a relative term. They don't fit my sprockets any more - but I can also let you have sprockets that they will fit!
Other than that they're in good 'rust free' condition.

Chain has been around a long time but as an interesting fact the bicycle roller drive chain doesn't predate the bicycle.

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 13 Jul 2019, 4:24pm

kwackers wrote:Chain has been around a long time but as an interesting fact the bicycle roller drive chain doesn't predate the bicycle.
I vaguely recall, the Meccano sprocket chain was simply a series of identical wire links, each bent into a sort of horseshoe shape, that just snapped together. (Perhaps someone can describe it better). Robust enough to power a meccano model (if you didn't put too much strain on it!). Was such a design ever used on a bicycle? I wouldn't fancy tackling a 1:5 on it!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

pete75

Postby pete75 » 13 Jul 2019, 5:38pm

I'd be willing to bet the Chinese had chain about 700 years ago.

horizon

Postby horizon » 13 Jul 2019, 5:48pm

pwa wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Which they have been everytime I watch him on QT,no figures no sound argumentands that stand up to scrutiny,all bluster and loud mouth talking or even shouting over anyone who makes the opposing POV.The last time he was on he was a disgrace trying to bully and shout down Anna Soubry.
The man is an utter disgrace!

Which shows that putting him on QT, alongside people with other strands of opinion, allows viewers to make up their own minds. As it should be.

I've read somewhere that when support for Farage goes up, support for Brexit goes down. So you may well be right.
I have two doctors, my left leg and my right leg. (G. M. Trevelyan)
PS I always wondered why the YHA HQ was called Trevelyan House. :)

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 13 Jul 2019, 5:55pm

pete75 wrote:I'd be willing to bet the Chinese had chain about 700 years ago.

Wikipedia gives 225BC for invention of chain as in, for instance, anchor chain.
Chain as a drive, in a bicycle or machine is something different.

horizon

Postby horizon » 13 Jul 2019, 5:55pm

andrec wrote:Leavers like me don't need to explain ourselves. We've won. Explaining was for the people's vote campaign in 2016. However, I must point out that I have already explained myself. Maybe you've overlooked my posts. I'll recap. I don't want a foreign parliament to have any say in the laws we have to obey in the UK, and I have every confidence in the people of the UK to make their own laws, including those on the environment, safety, food standards, human rights etc.

That's fair enough. But Leavers who expound Brexit (party leaders etc) do need to explain themselves (in order to win people over). The process lurches on: if you believe it completed in 2016, again fair enough but it looks to me as if it is very much still in process, whatever the outcome. Explaining helps people to understand Brexit and gets it over the line. Change is often a long and messy process - ask any campaigner.
I have two doctors, my left leg and my right leg. (G. M. Trevelyan)
PS I always wondered why the YHA HQ was called Trevelyan House. :)

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 13 Jul 2019, 5:56pm

irc wrote:
kwackers wrote:
pwa wrote:So you would ban Farage from TV? Think of the regimes where that sort of cleansing happens. Think where that goes.

Ban him no? Give him less airtime? Definitely.

His position in the world doesn't warrant the attention he gets..

He leads a party that won the Euro elections and advocates Brexit the side that won a majority in the referendum. It seems to me that does justify regular QT appearances. Though I agree having a greater number of different Brexit Party politicians on QT would be a good thing.

This is the real change.. 10 years ago a corrupt politician running a party with no financial scrutiny, no manifesto and such an appalling record would have been the subject of genuine doubt and concern

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 13 Jul 2019, 6:02pm

TRgere is by one chain

:

[youtube]JDG2m5hN1vo[/yourube]

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 13 Jul 2019, 6:02pm

There is by one chain

:

windmiller

Postby windmiller » 13 Jul 2019, 6:35pm

661-Pete wrote:This 'andrec' has only been on this forum for less than two weeks and has taken a persistently confrontational stance against other forum members. In fact the overwhelming majority of his or her posts have been on this thread.

I cannot help but be reminded of one "blackbike" late of this parish. Are they one and the same person, I wonder?

Yes: I know full well that a similar accusation was levelled at another confrontational forum member, some months ago - and led to indignant denials. I'm prepared for that!

Yes it is not so long ago that I was "wondered" about being this infamous blackbike person. you really must make up your full well minds on this one, Can't speak for andrec but I am still not blackbike/voldemort, perhaps you should look under your own beds in case he really does come out and shout "Boo, reality check!" By confrontational I presume you really mean opposing view?

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 13 Jul 2019, 7:10pm

windmiller wrote:By confrontational I presume you really mean opposing view?
No, I mean saying things like:
Some people really do seem to have difficulty understanding poll rules and results and I doubt that it is possible to explain things clearly to them, possibly because of their lack of education and difficulties with arithmetic.
Look it up.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

windmiller

Postby windmiller » 13 Jul 2019, 7:24pm

Yeah that J K Rowling is a staunch remainer, enough said.

andrec

Postby andrec » 13 Jul 2019, 8:47pm

PDQ Mobile wrote:Andrec.
I would point out that if we leave with no deal or some other restriction of freedom of movement, moving to another EU country will become impossible.

It's almost like you've reinvented Catch 22.

So you've noticed that the EU is a protectionist bloc which erects immigration barriers. Oddly it is never criticised for this by pro-EU people, the same people who are so quick to criticise the UK for proposing to do the same thing post Brexit. I expect highly skilled Brits would be allowed into EU countries after Brexit, much as we allow highly skilled non-EU people into the UK such as doctors from India. As Remainers tell us they are clever and educated I can't see them having much trouble in emigrating to the EU after Brexit.