Page 1185 of 1426

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Posted: 24 Jul 2019, 1:25pm
by roubaixtuesday
Mick F wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:For Mick: it's about 4 billion euros.

https://europa.eu/european-union/about- ... kingdom_en

But it's economic benefits of single market membership far outweigh this.
Thank you.
It costs us four thousand million Euros per year to be a club member and receive the fringe benefits of that club.

Say there are forty million taxpayers in the UK.
This means that I have spent 100Euros a year to be a member of a club.

Doesn't sound like a good deal to me.


That's because you're deliberately ignoring the whole picture - you're asking a loaded question.

An analogy.

You run a whelk store. You make £1000 a year from it.

You need a council license, costing £100 a year for the stall.

You decide that's £100 down the drain, you'd be better off not paying.

Congratulations, you're now £100 a year better off!

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Posted: 24 Jul 2019, 4:28pm
by Hobbs1951
Here's a few facts about the rebate from the OBR:

1. 2009-2015 UK rebate £3.9 billion p.a = an average net contribution of £8.5 billion.

2. 2015-2020 Rebate £5 billion p.a = an average net contribution of £9.6 billion.

3. 2014-2105 UK public spending was £735 billion, EU public spending £118 billion.

John.

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Posted: 24 Jul 2019, 8:21pm
by Mick F
roubaixtuesday wrote:That's because you're deliberately ignoring the whole picture - you're asking a loaded question
No I'm not.
Not at all.

I don't know if you've noticed, but I've not been on this thread for a while.
Bored silly with it, and after this post, I'll be off again.

Not deliberately ignoring anything about the "whole picture" at all.
It was an innocent question not partisan at all.

I received an answer.
End of.

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Posted: 24 Jul 2019, 9:51pm
by roubaixtuesday
Mick F wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:That's because you're deliberately ignoring the whole picture - you're asking a loaded question
No I'm not.
Not at all.

I don't know if you've noticed, but I've not been on this thread for a while.
Bored silly with it, and after this post, I'll be off again.

Not deliberately ignoring anything about the "whole picture" at all.
It was an innocent question not partisan at all.

I received an answer.
End of.


Which you chose to deliberately only pay attention to the part which confirmed your partisan position.

As was, I have to say, painfully obviously going to be the case from when you first asked the question.

It's really not a subtle ploy.

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Posted: 25 Jul 2019, 7:13am
by Hobbs1951
Observe the passive aggressive behaviour of the Leavers.

John.

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Posted: 25 Jul 2019, 11:48am
by horizon
Hobbs1951 wrote:Observe the passive aggressive behaviour of the Leavers.

John.


Are you saying that Brexit supporters generally display this behaviour or just those on here? There is research that links personality to voting and thus evidence to back up your point but I think you owe it to the Leavers to link to it.

Otherwise I think knocking the person isn't helpful to the debate.

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Posted: 25 Jul 2019, 1:02pm
by mercalia
so Boris in his first speech demands an end to the backstop else no deal :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :?
He is right about the backstop as I have been saying all along, but wrong how to respond ie should be revoke article 50

and Corbyn demands sending it back to the people ( atlast) where Labour would support remain.

in all his pifflewaffle he didnt mention the main reason for Brexit is to leave the EU weather system?

makes sense?

heatwavee.JPG

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Posted: 25 Jul 2019, 2:06pm
by stu1102
Mick F wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:That's because you're deliberately ignoring the whole picture - you're asking a loaded question
No I'm not.
Not at all.

I don't know if you've noticed, but I've not been on this thread for a while.
Bored silly with it, and after this post, I'll be off again.

Not deliberately ignoring anything about the "whole picture" at all.
It was an innocent question not partisan at all.

I received an answer.
End of.


Mick if your interested this where some of the money given via the EU to Cornwall went;

Here are 31 EU-funded projects in Cornwall https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornw ... ash-746128

Its worth looking through the projects but you just need to get rid of the pop ups that plague Cornwall Live

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Posted: 25 Jul 2019, 3:03pm
by al_yrpal
Some folk think it's ok to bow and scrape to the EU to get them to spend OUR money on local projects. Others think we are incapable of doing it ourselves. The bowers and scrapers and the doubters are in for a shock. They have now got a Cabinet running the country that has confidence in our ability to run our own affairs. About time....

Al

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Posted: 25 Jul 2019, 3:19pm
by stu1102
al_yrpal wrote:...............….They have now got a Cabinet running the country that has confidence in our ability to run our own affairs. About time....

Al



'there is not a single member of the new cabinet who has ever successfully implemented any policy whatsoever

And from a party which has been in government for *nine years*'

Source David Allen Green lawyer and writer @FT

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Posted: 25 Jul 2019, 3:37pm
by Oldjohnw
We now have the most elitist, reactionary, privileged, entitled, undemocratic and incompetent cabinet in modern times.

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Posted: 25 Jul 2019, 4:00pm
by pete75
al_yrpal wrote:Some folk think it's ok to bow and scrape to the EU to get them to spend OUR money on local projects. Others think we are incapable of doing it ourselves. The bowers and scrapers and the doubters are in for a shock. They have now got a Cabinet running the country that has confidence in our ability to run our own affairs. About time....

Al


What we have is a cabinet picked from the far right of the Conservative party. The EU spend at least some of our money on projects in deprived areas but that lot will spend none of it in the same areas.
Some say Johnson is a one nation Conservative. Whether or not that was the case in the past I don't know but his choice of cabinet shows he isn't one now.

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Posted: 25 Jul 2019, 4:06pm
by PDQ Mobile
al_yrpal wrote:Some folk think it's ok to bow and scrape to the EU to get them to spend OUR money on local projects. Others think we are incapable of doing it ourselves. The bowers and scrapers and the doubters are in for a shock. They have now got a Cabinet running the country that has confidence in our ability to run our own affairs. About time....

Al


We have run and conceived those local projects ourselves for donkey's years.

With mixed success it must be said. Especially in some enviromental schemes.
Only some funding allocation goes to Brussels for discussion and debate.
Broadly in my view they do a more professional job too.

A good many of the present members have been in the Cabinet before. Why should they be different now? Rose tinted spectacles?

It's all rehashed old tosh anyway from Johnson.
Golden age for .....speculators?

Cameron on his election said his would be "the greenest Govt of all time"! Ha!, fine words thrown into the dustbin of promoting elite money making as soon as the door of Number 10 closed behind him.

Did you note the slipping in to Johnson's little first effort the words about de-regulating gene manipulated food stuffs?
Coming to an allotment near you!

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Posted: 25 Jul 2019, 4:16pm
by djnotts
al_yrpal wrote:Some folk think it's ok to bow and scrape to the EU to get them to spend OUR money on local projects. Others think we are incapable of doing it ourselves. The bowers and scrapers and the doubters are in for a shock. They have now got a Cabinet running the country that has confidence in our ability to run our own affairs. About time....

Al


As I commented above, it wasn't/isn't that "we" were/are incapable (most EU programmes were initially administered by UK officials), rather that HMG abandoned regional policies. Without the Structural Funds, public spend in deprived areas would have been maybe 10 - 20% of that invested 1990-2007. I cannot speak for post-2007, but I imagine Convergence Funding continues to support the most deprived AND to skew member state expenditure towards those areas.

Can you really imagine that the new Cabinet will support anyone other than the wealthy and privileged? Guess you believe the trickle-down theory of Tax cuts for the rich. Drivel.

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Posted: 25 Jul 2019, 6:36pm
by stu1102
'can you really imagine that the new Cabinet will support anyone other than the wealthy and privileged? '

No not at all, but based on my small evidence from my home village in the Scottish Borders this will be the last Prime Minister of the United Kingdom