** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby 661-Pete » 7 Aug 2019, 12:55pm

I note that Cummings bloke doing his utmost to derail the power of Parliament... Who does he think he is? King Charles I?

I'll tell you: a totally unelected busybody, not even a member of the party he pretends to uphold. Personally I find him creepy - and pretty scary.

I know one shouldn't really have a go at people because of their appearance, but I can't help thinking: is this the reason I find him scary?
JRC-DC.jpg
JRC-DC.jpg (16.16 KiB) Viewed 171 times
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 7 Aug 2019, 1:05pm

bovlomov wrote:
mercalia wrote:what I will say is what is happening now with Boris and his gang refusing to be EU patsys like May, should have happened 2-3 years ago when this game started?

The description 'EU patsies' plays into the victimhood narrative that has got us into this mess. And it's nothing like the truth.

want to explain?

for my part, May never questioned the backstop which undermined the spirit of the GFA and if ever activated would disenfanchise northern Ireland. So she was a patsey rooting for the EU and their interests and tried to push her "deal" right to the end
Last edited by mercalia on 7 Aug 2019, 1:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 7 Aug 2019, 1:12pm

Unexpectedly positive BBC News report on no deal food situation. Wholesalers are prepared and largely in favour of Brexit. Main problem anticipated seems to be obstruction by the EU at EU ports.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. CTC gone but not forgotten!

horizon

Postby horizon » 7 Aug 2019, 1:20pm

al_yrpal wrote:Unexpectedly positive BBC News report on no deal food situation. Wholesalers are prepared and largely in favour of Brexit. Main problem anticipated seems to be obstruction by the EU at EU ports.

Al

Odd. I listened to the news this morning on Radio 4 and it was the opposite.
I have two doctors, my left leg and my right leg. (G. M. Trevelyan)
PS I always wondered why the YHA HQ was called Trevelyan House. :)

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 7 Aug 2019, 1:20pm

al_yrpal wrote:Unexpectedly positive BBC News report on no deal food situation. Wholesalers are prepared and largely in favour of Brexit. Main problem anticipated seems to be obstruction by the EU at EU ports.

Al

The BBC must have a special article just for you.

The one I've read (front page) is full of stuff like:

"The industry says leaving in the autumn could pose more supply problems than the original Brexit date last March."

"The FDF's chief operating officer Tim Rycroft told the BBC that in the event of a no deal, there would be "selective shortages" of food that would go on for "weeks or months"."

"It may be the government is going to come to us and say, 'can't you guys work together to ensure that remote communities or the elderly or children - at risk groups - don't suffer from these shortages'," he said."
"We're happy to help, but the CMA can fine companies up to 10% of turnover if they are guilty of anti-competitive behaviour. So we wouldn't be able to do that without some pretty cast iron reassurances."
"He said the industry had asked for these reassurances at the end of last year, but despite "support" from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, they were still waiting."

"The industry claims that the government, in internal discussions, has played down the impact a no-deal Brexit would have on the overall food supply."

"One industry member said that a year ago: "Food was part of the conversation in terms of what to prioritise in a no-deal Brexit".
"That has changed with the government now privately acknowledging there may be an impact on price and choice rather than overall availability."

I could go on, but I'm struggling to find anything that suggests optimism in that report.

PDQ Mobile

Postby PDQ Mobile » 7 Aug 2019, 1:24pm

Al

No citation?
Could it be this article?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49258852

Which states:-

"The industry claims that the government, in internal discussions, has played down the impact a no-deal Brexit would have on the overall food supply.
One industry member said that a year ago: "Food was part of the conversation in terms of what to prioritise in a no-deal Brexit".
That has changed with the government now privately acknowledging there may be an impact on price and choice rather than overall availability."
-----
I can't find where it says food retailers are in favour. (Must have overlooked it)

Perhaps they import from Africa?
Hang on, I thought we couldn't import food from the wider world at the moment because of the protectionist and evil EU?
Such tosh.
Last edited by PDQ Mobile on 7 Aug 2019, 1:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

bovlomov

Postby bovlomov » 7 Aug 2019, 1:27pm

661-Pete wrote:I note that Cummings bloke doing his utmost to derail the power of Parliament... Who does he think he is? King Charles I?

I'll tell you: a totally unelected busybody, not even a member of the party he pretends to uphold. Personally I find him creepy - and pretty scary.

I know one shouldn't really have a go at people because of their appearance, but I can't help thinking: is this the reason I find him scary?
JRC-DC.jpg

I'm not sure why all modern PMs feel the need to have a special adviser/guru/Rasputin/Blue Skies Thinker - Hilton, Timothy, Cummings, Burt... They don't have a happy record.

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 7 Aug 2019, 1:33pm

The broadcast on no deal food was on the BBC TV lunchtine news. They spoke to long established big wholesalers in fruit veg and fish markets instead of the usual bunch of negative miserable anti Brexit pundits who are always trying to feed project fear. The wholesalers all said leaving the EU would be beneficial for consumers.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. CTC gone but not forgotten!

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 7 Aug 2019, 1:39pm

Unexpectedly positive no deal food supply report...

horizon wrote:
Odd. I listened to the news this morning on Radio 4 and it was the opposite.

Yes, I was surprised too, its usual for the BBC to parrot the left wing press..

Al

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 7 Aug 2019, 1:41pm

mercalia wrote:what I will say is what is happening now with Boris and his gang refusing to be EU patsys like May, should have happened 2-3 years ago when this game started?

Boris and his gang are doing nothing more than playing the UK electorate in his PR game. They are continually trying to pass blame onto the EU for the disaster they are creating. They keep going on about wanting to negotiate but and set pre-conditions that are totally unacceptable (and that the EU have repeatedly said would be unacceptable from long before Boris even stood in the leadership contest).

In fact Boris' pre-conditions are so major that the EU don't even need to negotiate, as to accept the pre-conditions would be agreeing to everything Boris wants. e.g. I want a pay rise of 10% so threaten striking and will only negotiate of my employer accepts my 10% pay rise - the moment my employer says "yes" to my pre-condition they have agreed to my pay increase!.

I can appreciate the EU's stance. They have spent 3 years negotiating a deal and getting it agreed. Quite how Boris things he can re-negotiate it an a few weeks is just daft. The UK Government has agreed to the negotiated deal. It includes safeguards acceptable to both negotiating parties to safeguard something both parties agreed was very important.

Even ignoring the "rights and wrongs", if the EU suddenly agreed to drop something that cause so much negotiation with the previous UK negotiating team then it would reflect badly on their position, particularly when they drop something argued as so crucial in the fact of threats from the UK. It would send a clear message to other countries negotiating that all they have to do is threaten the EU and the EU gives way.

Ian

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 7 Aug 2019, 1:50pm

al_yrpal wrote:The broadcast on no deal food was on the BBC TV lunchtine news. They spoke to long established big wholesalers in fruit veg and fish markets instead of the usual bunch of negative miserable anti Brexit pundits who are always trying to feed project fear. The wholesalers all said leaving the EU would be beneficial for consumers.

Al

If I was a wholesaler I'd be well up for a sellers market too.

Shame the actual organisations they belong to think somewhat differently.
In fact it's hard to imagine a scenario where things wouldn't get harder under a hard brexit.
Did they explain how it would?

bovlomov

Postby bovlomov » 7 Aug 2019, 2:02pm

al_yrpal wrote:instead of the usual bunch of negative miserable anti Brexit pundits who are always trying to feed project fear.

What feeds fear is Dominic Raab claiming that the UK and Canada agreed on the need for a seamless transition, and the Canadian government spokesperson denying it.

Really, Al, aren't you afraid that none of the UK ministers have a clue about the task in hand, and that they are prepared to lie about it? More important than Brexit or no Brexit is the fact that we have the most inept and dishonest government in living memory - and that's going some.

horizon

Postby horizon » 7 Aug 2019, 2:03pm

al_yrpal wrote:The broadcast on no deal food was on the BBC TV lunchtine news. They spoke to long established big wholesalers in fruit veg and fish markets instead of the usual bunch of negative miserable anti Brexit pundits who are always trying to feed project fear. The wholesalers all said leaving the EU would be beneficial for consumers.

Al

Yes I caught the end of it. I think there are lots of people who see Brexit as a way of getting under the radar of Big Capitalist EU (we have friends like that). Frankly, no-deal as such doesn't bother me. What bothers me is losing the links with Europe that build a Greener, fairer world. I could imagine a much Greener, fairer UK even outside the EU but that isn't where the Right-wing is taking us. By their standards, the EU is utterly benign (which of course it isn't). Currently my household buys most of its food from very small (organic) producers, some in France and Spain. I see that as better protected by the EU than by a trade deal with the US.
I have two doctors, my left leg and my right leg. (G. M. Trevelyan)
PS I always wondered why the YHA HQ was called Trevelyan House. :)

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 7 Aug 2019, 2:06pm

:) The problem that no-one addressee is how N Ireland can be both in the EU and out of it at the same time.

Meanwhile we will just keep blundering on, each saying that the blame is entirely the other lot's. Which it is! :)
John

Cycling and recycling

bovlomov

Postby bovlomov » 7 Aug 2019, 2:16pm

horizon wrote:I think there are lots of people who see Brexit as a way of getting under the radar of Big Capitalist EU

Like this?