** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PDQ Mobile
Posts: 2805
Joined: 2 Aug 2015, 4:40pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby PDQ Mobile » 9 Sep 2019, 10:59pm

windmiller wrote:The only decent act that Bercow has performed is to declare his resignation. He is a complete disgrace to the title of "Speaker of the House of Commons".
He broke the cardinal rule of being none biased and manipulated the Brexit debate for his own dubious ends. The sycophantic fawning for the multiple disservices he orchestrated to this country was sickening to behold.

Good riddance!

You could do it better I suppose?
Tell us pray what your opinion is of Rees Mogg?
And Dr Fox?

windmiller
Posts: 388
Joined: 9 Feb 2009, 5:10pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby windmiller » 9 Sep 2019, 11:09pm

PDQ Mobile wrote:
windmiller wrote:The only decent act that Bercow has performed is to declare his resignation. He is a complete disgrace to the title of "Speaker of the House of Commons".
He broke the cardinal rule of being none biased and manipulated the Brexit debate for his own dubious ends. The sycophantic fawning for the multiple disservices he orchestrated to this country was sickening to behold.

Good riddance!

You could do it better I suppose?


Colonel Gaddafi could do it better.

windmiller
Posts: 388
Joined: 9 Feb 2009, 5:10pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby windmiller » 9 Sep 2019, 11:12pm

Seriously I think the post should not be held by a politician.

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 13557
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby mjr » 10 Sep 2019, 12:18am

"an early vote doesn’t scare us, but elections cannot be a way to escape from the promise we made"

Said by an Italian politician, but holds true here too IMO. In 2017, the Conservatives promised the impossible: a Brexit that doesn't wreck the country. They nearly won but not quite. No wonder they want a new election where they can stand for Brexit at any cost!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 9434
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Cunobelin » 10 Sep 2019, 6:11am

PDQ Mobile wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:
Young people have been totally screwed by the EU with mass immigration to Britain inflating property prices and rents and other EU countries have been screwed too denuding Eastern European of their skilled workforce and plunging their economies into crisees.

The approaching Superstate is impervious to naive Remainer myopia. You need to wake up, theres plenty of evidence and statements out there from leading EU despots!

Inflation is a fact of life in a capitalist economy, wages have been outstripping inflation. Prices of foods drinks and essentials will go down post Brexit. Wetherspoons will be even better value for an affordable family night out.

The EU is like the Curates Egg... :wink: It has done a few good things.

The EU decided to impose unreasonable conditions on Britain otherwise we would leave and remain closely aligned. They are scared stiff our breakaway will show up their overbearing protectionist Franco German dictatorship up for the rotten overegulated and corrupt mess that it currently is.

The fact that we have wasted about 30 years since Maarstricht getting to this point saddens me. What a waste of opportunity.

Al

The old Eastern block countries were often desperately poor before they voluntarily joined.
I am no expert but it is my belief they are improving through membership.
Of course some travel to the wealthier parts of the EU. Very often they send some hard earned money home- it's a sort of direct aid.

Inflation is the driver of poverty for many sectors in our society.
I am aware that Capitalism likes inflation but while it benefits some in the end excessive inflation ends in serious tears.
In my view that is very likely to happen if we leave with no deal. Already travelling abroad has become difficult for many the weak pound really hurting. And not all those travelling are holiday makers.
So I do not agree with your "prices will go down" assessment and nor do the majority of economists that I read.
Rees Mogg sticks his speculation profits offshore, how does that benefit any of us here?
Whether the speculation, or the offshore stashing.
No wonder the guy is afraid of the EU, they want to bring that cash more into the open.
And about time too.

I do not see your Franco/German protectionist dictatorship anywhere.
I see diverse nations agreeing to cooperate around a democratic table

Young people have been for the most part screwed by many people owning multiple homes.


In the same way that Europe improved our working conditions, they could also improve public services by forcing the likes of Farage and Rees- Mogg ( and many others) to pay tax appropriately. One of the motives for getting out quickly is the fear that we may introduce the European Tax Avoidance legislation

The last thing these carpet baggers want

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 9434
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Cunobelin » 10 Sep 2019, 6:16am

windmiller wrote:The only decent act that Bercow has performed is to declare his resignation. He is a complete disgrace to the title of "Speaker of the House of Commons".
He broke the cardinal rule of being none biased and manipulated the Brexit debate for his own dubious ends. The sycophantic fawning for the multiple disservices he orchestrated to this country was sickening to behold.

Good riddance!


WHich translates as didn't bend over and let Brexiters force their way through - that was very naughty

roubaixtuesday
Posts: 2077
Joined: 18 Aug 2015, 7:05pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby roubaixtuesday » 10 Sep 2019, 6:39am

al_yrpal wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:Al,

Paragraph one:

...other EU countries have been screwed too denuding Eastern European of their skilled workforce and plunging their economies into crisees.


Cripes, economic Crisees you say?

Let's have a look at the facts, shall we?

Ah. Every single Eastern European economy in the EU growing faster than ours.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... sts-brexit

Plunging they are I tell ee. Plunging!!!

I won't bother with the rest of the fact free diatribe.


Example... 2 million Bulgarians have left, its reckoned 2 million more will leave in the next few years. All that will be left will be the old and the Roma.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 8063943568

Al


Have you read your link? It does not support your claim at all: it's specific to one country, it points to corruption and inequality first, then high mortality and low birth rate before even mentioning emigration.

And even after all that, it remains a fact that Bulgaria has higher growth rates than the UK or the EU28.

Finally, I dread to think why you call out the Roma, not even mentioned in the article, given your posting history.

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 7629
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Cully
Contact:

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby al_yrpal » 10 Sep 2019, 8:26am

The article just confirms the figures and it's all from personal knowledge gained over 20 years. Keyboard warriors know only what they can read, it's not evidence

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. CTC gone but not forgotten!

roubaixtuesday
Posts: 2077
Joined: 18 Aug 2015, 7:05pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby roubaixtuesday » 10 Sep 2019, 8:38am

al_yrpal wrote:The article just confirms the figures and it's all from personal knowledge gained over 20 years. Keyboard warriors know only what they can read, it's not evidence

Al


So, because you can't find anything written to substantiate your prejudice, you redefine evidence as being your own personal prejudice.

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

User avatar
bovlomov
Posts: 3977
Joined: 5 Apr 2007, 7:45am
Contact:

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby bovlomov » 10 Sep 2019, 8:39am

al_yrpal wrote:The article just confirms the figures and it's all from personal knowledge gained over 20 years. Keyboard warriors know only what they can read, it's not evidence


For the record, much of what other posters are reading and posting here is very much evidence. It's not all Guido Fawkes.

pete75
Posts: 11646
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby pete75 » 10 Sep 2019, 8:45am

al_yrpal wrote:The article just confirms the figures and it's all from personal knowledge gained over 20 years. Keyboard warriors know only what they can read, it's not evidence

Al


You've actually been abroad Al? You've mingled with those dastardly foreigners? Astounding.

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 17073
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Vorpal » 10 Sep 2019, 9:01am

Example... 2 million Bulgarians have left, its reckoned 2 million more will leave in the next few years. All that will be left will be the old and the Roma.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 8063943568

Al

I don't know who 'reckons' 2 million have left, or will leave, but that goes against the available evidence... Even that article you linked, says 'almost 2 million' and doesn't tell you how many returned when the economy began to improve.

in 2017, 1,290,000 people born in Bulgaria were living in other countries

2011- 2017 number of Bulgarian emigrants: 24,103

Many of those 24,103 are students who will return to Bulgaria with education, language skills, and work experience, which can only benefit the economy there.

Their current economic growth and Gini index are both higher than the UK's.

https://www.caritas.eu/wordpress/wp-con ... ariaEN.pdf

al_yrpal wrote:The article just confirms the figures and it's all from personal knowledge gained over 20 years. Keyboard warriors know only what they can read, it's not evidence

Al


Personal knowledge? of Bulgaria?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

reohn2
Posts: 35581
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby reohn2 » 10 Sep 2019, 9:08am

Al,
You are BoJo and I claim the £5 :lol: :lol: :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Psamathe
Posts: 10151
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Psamathe » 10 Sep 2019, 12:08pm

Interesting comment in Guardian re: Northern Ireland only Backstop
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/sep/10/anger-abounds-after-parliament-suspended-in-night-of-high-drama-politics-live?page=with:block-5d775e238f083106f4558ac9#block-5d775e238f083106f4558ac9 wrote:Anyone who has followed Boris Johnson’s career in detail will know that there is a long list of people who have put their trust in him and who at some point discover they have been let down. Are the DUP about to join the club?

Seems more and more commentators are raising the possibility of a border in the Irish Sea and I can see the reasons they are thinking it now more likely. In part because Boris knows the EU would accept the change without any problem so it gives him something to go back to Parliament with "I've got a new deal ... I said they'd cave to my demands and they did ...". Plus he no longer needs the DUP as he's lost his majority anyway.

And then he could add the lie about him reducing the payment (which is automatically reduced because the amount was set for a March departure and we've been paying monthly since then so without any negotiation the amount has significantly reduced anyway.

Ian

User avatar
bovlomov
Posts: 3977
Joined: 5 Apr 2007, 7:45am
Contact:

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby bovlomov » 10 Sep 2019, 12:55pm

Psamathe wrote:Seems more and more commentators are raising the possibility of a border in the Irish Sea and I can see the reasons they are thinking it now more likely. In part because Boris knows the EU would accept the change without any problem so it gives him something to go back to Parliament with "I've got a new deal ... I said they'd cave to my demands and they did ...". Plus he no longer needs the DUP as he's lost his majority anyway.

But many of the ERGy types have decided that there are many more things about the WA that they don't like, besides the backstop. That'll be the Brexit Party position too.

Still, he may get it through Parliament.