** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by reohn2 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:...the fact that when we leave I will no longer have to listen to the word EU...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Have you any idea just how long it will take before you will hear the last of the EU,even if we do crash out without a deal?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Not hear 'EU' again? Whatever happens, the EU is a near neighbour to the UK. Could you honestly expect to live in any country in the world, and not expect to hear the name of a neighbouring country or trading bloc?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Vorpal wrote:Not hear 'EU' again? Whatever happens, the EU is a near neighbour to the UK. Could you honestly expect to live in any country in the world, and not expect to hear the name of a neighbouring country or trading bloc?

Meanwhile, there's a realistic chance that EU countries won't hear the words 'United Kingdom' again - a huge relief, probably.
661-Pete

Re: ** The <censored> Thread ** - '<censored> Means <censored>'

Post by 661-Pete »

bovlomov wrote:
Vorpal wrote:Not hear 'EU' again? Whatever happens, the EU is a near neighbour to the UK. Could you honestly expect to live in any country in the world, and not expect to hear the name of a neighbouring country or trading bloc?

Meanwhile, there's a realistic chance that EU countries won't hear the words 'United Kingdom' again - a huge relief, probably.
I think there's a good chance that no-one will hear the words "United Kingdom"again - because there won't be any.... :(

Personally, I'd rather that horrible portmanteau of a B-word vanished into oblivion. I only wish it'd never been coined....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Remember Grexit?
That was coined because of Greece's issues with the Euro and reverting back to the Drachma due to problems with their economy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_wit ... e_eurozone

The B word came from that, but Grexit came first.
Mick F. Cornwall
broadway

Post by broadway »

mercalia wrote:I wonder if privately any of the leaders of EU countries have asked themselves whether they and their population would accept a backstop as being demanded by the EU as a preamble to any trade talks?

Which other countries would that be?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:Remember Grexit?
That was coined because of Greece's issues with the Euro and reverting back to the Drachma due to problems with their economy.

Or didn't come, despite both David Cameron and the Brexit Broadcasting Company encouraging it.

You would have thought there might have been a lesson about Brexit there, but it seems like our politicians are determined to ignore anything that disagrees with them.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

broadway wrote:
mercalia wrote:I wonder if privately any of the leaders of EU countries have asked themselves whether they and their population would accept a backstop as being demanded by the EU as a preamble to any trade talks?

I don't think any other countries have a Northern Ireland to worry about which wants to be both in and out at the same time - at least the DUP wants that.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 18 Sep 2019, 7:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Oldjohnw wrote:I don't think any other contries have a Northern Ireland to worry about which wants to be both in and out at the same time - at least the DUP wants that.
I'm thinking, the DUP want us to deploy a very large hacksaw, saw off the whole of NI from the rest of Ireland, moor tugs to it and tow it all around Scotland before docking it with England somewhere on the North Sea coast - Hartlepool or Grimsby maybe.....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mjr wrote:
Mick F wrote:Remember Grexit?

Or didn't come, despite both David Cameron and the Brexit Broadcasting Company encouraging it.

You would have thought there might have been a lesson about Brexit there, but it seems like our politicians are determined to ignore anything that disagrees with them.

It didn't happen because Greece blinked first in the face of the European Central Bank, France and Germany's shameless bullying and refusal to take a course of action calculated to actually get their money back, as opposed to leaving Greece in systemic poverty for generations because to do otherwise would set a dangerous precedent.

I couldn't possibly draw any parallels
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

broadway wrote:

any you please to consider. proud France for one. Any of the nationalistic countries like Poland or Hungary. The key word is PRIVATELY
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Oldjohnw wrote:
broadway wrote:

I don't think any other countries have a Northern Ireland to worry about which wants to be both in and out at the same time - at least the DUP wants that.

The question is if they were....
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Oldjohnw wrote:
broadway wrote:

supporters of brexit are proud to claim a 52% majority for Leave, yet Northern Ireland voted by 55.8% to remain. it is unequivocal that Northern Irelan wants to remain and are being bullied and coerced into leaving because that is not a Democratic Mandate
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

mercalia wrote:
broadway wrote:

any you please to consider. proud France for one. Any of the nationalistic countries like Poland or Hungary. The key word is PRIVATELY

And now consider if France would demand a completely open border with Belgium whilst leaving the customs union and having border controls with Germany and Spain.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

mercalia wrote:
broadway wrote:

I thought countries could not do anything independently in the EU.
John