** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
merseymouth
Posts: 1969
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 11:16am

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby merseymouth » 1 Feb 2020, 10:01am

Hi, You forgot the unrest in France, Spain, Germany et al, which the E.U. does have influence over!
The root cause of all our ills lasts at the feet of politicians full stop! Promises that never get fulfilled, remember the slogans after both WW1 & WW2, "A Land Fit For Heroes"? Screw the lot of them.
I met one of the failed type whilst on a CTC Cycle Tour in France & Belgium? He was so busy pointing out the reasons for the failure of others that he couldn't even handle his bike properly, ended up a real box of tricks biting the tarmac :lol: :lol:
To avoid him the next day I took trains & a taxi to visit Pheasant Wood at Fromelles, the newest WW1 CWGC Cemetery. The 100 Euro Taxi fare was money well spent.
How to tell when a politician is lying? Teheir Lips Move! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: MM

PH
Posts: 9434
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby PH » 1 Feb 2020, 10:05am

Cunobelin wrote:
PH wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
Really rather irrelevant though?
Whether we import more or less cars has no connection to reality. We could import more packets of birdseed, shoelaces or even lentils than we export, but as single solitary items, it has no relevance whatsoever on the wider picture
It is all the other factors that will make a difference.

Of course it's relevant, I find the idea that it isn't absurd. Have you ever looked at a trade agreement? They're full of reciprocal trading terms for similar industries, that's what trade is. We want to sell you our cars, you want us to buy your cars, how are the numbers not going to be a factor in that conversation?

You still believe the ONLY trade will be in cars?

:?: I have no idea why you've asked that question. I've entered a discussion about the UK car industry, specifically about whether Japanese car manufacturers are likely to continue operating from the UK. Trade agreements deal with specific sectors, do you think they're just blanket agreements that cover all trade? It likely the trading terms for cars will be different to that for agricultural produce and even within those sectors (Though it's unlikely they get down to individual products).

roubaixtuesday
Posts: 3298
Joined: 18 Aug 2015, 7:05pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby roubaixtuesday » 1 Feb 2020, 10:09am

Mick F wrote:
BrightonRock wrote: ............ Brexiters have been hoodwinked. ...........
You're at it too.
Tarring all the leavers with the same brush.

No hoodwinking going on in my experience.
As I've said, I know many many leavers, and not one single one has been hoodwinked.

Every single one of those people are like me.
We shouldn't have joined in the first place and have always said so.


Reading what you claim to want, and what the Brexit process has brought, it's very plain that you have, indeed, been hoodwinked.

PH
Posts: 9434
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby PH » 1 Feb 2020, 10:26am

Cunobelin wrote:From "The Brexit"

Image

That's a pretty stupid analogy, do you sell anything to Tesco?
It's long been a complaint against the major retailers that they squeeze their suppliers, look at the history of dairy farming since the end of the Milk Marketing Board as an example, the buyers have wielded the power. When it comes to the retailer/consumer relationship, yes they do need us, we can go elsewhere, Tesco isn't free to do what it wants, it has to follow market trends, it has to keep it's pricing competitive, it has to supply what it's customers want. I'm not suggesting any Trade Agreement is anything like that, as has been said it's of mutual benefit.

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 12139
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 1 Feb 2020, 10:34am

Hi,
Debs wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Expect a few looney scenes tonight.
Al


Tonight is noting more than the starting gun for Tory-Brexit Government Lunacy, the real Brexit Day cliff-edge is 31st December 2020

And that will come and go soon enough.
Will you still be so bitter after that?
We all live under conditions that we don't particularly like for a lot of the time in our lives.
The steady sensible ones just grin and bear it and get on with their lives.
We individuals can't change anything much on our own.

I never said that 52 to 48 was an overwhelming majority.
But I have said that in hindsight I don't think it should've been so clean cut in or out on those figures.
Who was talking about Percentages Before the ref, I don't think that anybody had thought that far ahead certainly in the general public.
As I remember it was a definite vote for in or out, and that's the way I and most people voted.
20 - 20 vision is something talked about After the fact.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

mercalia
Posts: 14092
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby mercalia » 1 Feb 2020, 10:58am

merseymouth wrote:Hi, You forgot the unrest in France, Spain, Germany et al, which the E.U. does have influence over!
The root cause of all our ills lasts at the feet of politicians full stop! Promises that never get fulfilled, remember the slogans after both WW1 & WW2, "A Land Fit For Heroes"? Screw the lot of them.
I met one of the failed type whilst on a CTC Cycle Tour in France & Belgium? He was so busy pointing out the reasons for the failure of others that he couldn't even handle his bike properly, ended up a real box of tricks biting the tarmac :lol: :lol:
To avoid him the next day I took trains & a taxi to visit Pheasant Wood at Fromelles, the newest WW1 CWGC Cemetery. The 100 Euro Taxi fare was money well spent.
How to tell when a politician is lying? Teheir Lips Move! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: MM


no they smile at you

mercalia
Posts: 14092
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby mercalia » 1 Feb 2020, 11:11am

Now starts the Big Screw?

The Yanks screwed us when we were down over lend-lease during WW2
They screwed us over Suez ( they now admit they were wrong)
Brexit will be the next big Screw?

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 10767
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Cunobelin » 1 Feb 2020, 11:31am

Loved Portsmouth last night

5 local pro-Brexit politicians had a local press, Facebook, Twitter and Social Media campaign to promote a celebratory pub crawl, inviting the whole city... 21 of the 150,000 eligible population turned up!

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 10767
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Cunobelin » 1 Feb 2020, 11:45am

merseymouth wrote:Hi, You forgot the unrest in France, Spain, Germany et al, which the E.U. does have influence over!
The root cause of all our ills lasts at the feet of politicians full stop! Promises that never get fulfilled, remember the slogans after both WW1 & WW2, "A Land Fit For Heroes"? Screw the lot of them.
I met one of the failed type whilst on a CTC Cycle Tour in France & Belgium? He was so busy pointing out the reasons for the failure of others that he couldn't even handle his bike properly, ended up a real box of tricks biting the tarmac :lol: :lol:
To avoid him the next day I took trains & a taxi to visit Pheasant Wood at Fromelles, the newest WW1 CWGC Cemetery. The 100 Euro Taxi fare was money well spent.
How to tell when a politician is lying? Teheir Lips Move! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: MM



Your original post was about genocide, and ethnic cleansing... that was proved to be irrelevant, so you are now claiming industrial unrest is the same level as ethnic cleansing!!!

Again you are wrong, these are internal issues that the EU once again has no contribution or control over, you are simply perpetuating the myths and lies about independence quoted by Farage, Johnson et al.

carpetcleaner
Posts: 920
Joined: 14 Nov 2019, 1:25pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby carpetcleaner » 1 Feb 2020, 11:49am

mercalia wrote:Now starts the Big Screw?

The Yanks screwed us when we were down over lend-lease during WW2
They screwed us over Suez ( they now admit they were wrong)
Brexit will be the next big Screw?


The Yanks did not screw us at all over lend-lease. We were free to decline the terms offered and to do without their help. But we accepted the terms offered because it was our best option. We all make similar decisions all the time. For example, a job hunter will probably have to accept the pay and terms offered by an employer if he hasn't got any better offers, even if if he doesn't like the job,the pay or the terms, because the alternative of unemployment is even worse.

They didn't screw us over Suez. The UK took action and the US did not approve. It had no obligation to do so or to support us in the venture.

And they can't screw us over Brexit. They will offer terms and we can accept or decline them as we wish.

carpetcleaner
Posts: 920
Joined: 14 Nov 2019, 1:25pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby carpetcleaner » 1 Feb 2020, 11:56am

Oldjohnw wrote:Isn't it wonderful to be back in control. No unelected European bureaucrats now. Just Mr Cummings, elected MP for where was it? And billionaire newspaper owners, and old Etonians, as one against the elite.

No more immigrants. Suddenly, hospital waiting lists have gone, our trains run on time, no more homelessness. The climate has been sorted. Ah, the fresh air of freedom.


Just wait until people realise that they can't write to their local MEP for help on a matter, or got to one of their advice surgeries because they have been scrapped.

There'll be marches, demos, online petitions, vigils, open letters, hunger strikes and maybe even riots.

Oldjohnw
Posts: 4940
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Oldjohnw » 1 Feb 2020, 12:08pm

Cunobelin wrote:
merseymouth wrote:Hi, You forgot the unrest in France, Spain, Germany et al, which the E.U. does have influence over!
The root cause of all our ills lasts at the feet of politicians full stop! Promises that never get fulfilled, remember the slogans after both WW1 & WW2, "A Land Fit For Heroes"? Screw the lot of them.
I met one of the failed type whilst on a CTC Cycle Tour in France & Belgium? He was so busy pointing out the reasons for the failure of others that he couldn't even handle his bike properly, ended up a real box of tricks biting the tarmac :lol: :lol:
To avoid him the next day I took trains & a taxi to visit Pheasant Wood at Fromelles, the newest WW1 CWGC Cemetery. The 100 Euro Taxi fare was money well spent.
How to tell when a politician is lying? Teheir Lips Move! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: MM



Your original post was about genocide, and ethnic cleansing... that was proved to be irrelevant, so you are now claiming industrial unrest is the same level as ethnic cleansing!!!

Again you are wrong, these are internal issues that the EU once again has no contribution or control over, you are simply perpetuating the myths and lies about independence quoted by Farage, Johnson et al.


It's only a few years since London riots. Nothing to do with the EU.
John

roubaixtuesday
Posts: 3298
Joined: 18 Aug 2015, 7:05pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby roubaixtuesday » 1 Feb 2020, 12:12pm

carpetcleaner wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Isn't it wonderful to be back in control. No unelected European bureaucrats now. Just Mr Cummings, elected MP for where was it? And billionaire newspaper owners, and old Etonians, as one against the elite.

No more immigrants. Suddenly, hospital waiting lists have gone, our trains run on time, no more homelessness. The climate has been sorted. Ah, the fresh air of freedom.


Just wait until people realise that they can't write to their local MEP for help on a matter, or got to one of their advice surgeries because they have been scrapped.

There'll be marches, demos, online petitions, vigils, open letters, hunger strikes and maybe even riots.


Size of demo is your yardstick? Remind me, what have the largest ever demos in the country been about?

BrightonRock
Posts: 153
Joined: 4 Apr 2019, 7:37am

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby BrightonRock » 1 Feb 2020, 12:33pm

Rioting is not as outlandish as it seems. Not that long since the last bout. It's been very successful in France of late, and Macron has been all but forced to back down from his pension reform.

Rioting as opposed to demonstrating is a very effective political tool of the people. Now we are on the other side of the looking glass everything that was hurled at remainers will now be done to leavers. Very soon its going to be apparent that we have little bargaining power or position and every inch we get from the EU they'll take a yard.

Expect to see short and long term increase in violence and opprobium towards Brexiters and a relative increase in tension and ill feeling. If the next stage goes badly (likely given the low rent negotiations so far) it'll be Brexit supporting MPs hiring security protection and the trumpeting of the current crop of Leavers will quickly be replaced by silence and denial.

I see trouble ahead. And it's not ending any time soon. There is nothing from Boris or his troupe to suggest they have the faintest clue how to extricate themselves from Europe nor secure a trade deal that isn't entirely deleterious to the British people. If they lose financial passporting, Britain is done for. Like i said, we're now in a volt face situation, where black is white and white is black. Anything could happen.

roubaixtuesday
Posts: 3298
Joined: 18 Aug 2015, 7:05pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby roubaixtuesday » 1 Feb 2020, 12:49pm

BrightonRock wrote:Rioting is not as outlandish as it seems. Not that long since the last bout. It's been very successful in France of late, and Macron has been all but forced to back down from his pension reform.

Rioting as opposed to demonstrating is a very effective political tool of the people. Now we are on the other side of the looking glass everything that was hurled at remainers will now be done to leavers. Very soon its going to be apparent that we have little bargaining power or position and every inch we get from the EU they'll take a yard.

Expect to see short and long term increase in violence and opprobium towards Brexiters and a relative increase in tension and ill feeling. If the next stage goes badly (likely given the low rent negotiations so far) it'll be Brexit supporting MPs hiring security protection and the trumpeting of the current crop of Leavers will quickly be replaced by silence and denial.

I see trouble ahead. And it's not ending any time soon. There is nothing from Boris or his troupe to suggest they have the faintest clue how to extricate themselves from Europe nor secure a trade deal that isn't entirely deleterious to the British people. If they lose financial passporting, Britain is done for. Like i said, we're now in a volt face situation, where black is white and white is black. Anything could happen.


I think the opposite is more likely.

IMO Brexit will be a long process (one way or another the negotiations will not finish this year, Johnson's empty promises notwithstanding) and will be a long slow drag on the politics, economy and togetherness of our country, rather than a spark for violence.