** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
stu1102
Posts: 80
Joined: 24 Jun 2013, 8:38pm
Location: Beeston, Nottignham

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby stu1102 » 19 Jun 2018, 6:14pm

Its reassuring in that were 'taking back control' and as a result are leaving the following EU institutions:

Eurojust: Eurojust's primary focus are on crimes that represent an "especial threat" to citizens, such as terrorism, drug trafficking, trafficking in human beings, cybercrime, fraud, corruption, money laundering and other economic crime. http://eurojust.europa.eu/Pages/home.aspx


Europol is mandated by the European Union (EU) to assist EU Member States in the fight against international crime, such as illicit drugs, trafficking in human beings, intellectual property crime, cybercrime, euro counterfeiting and terrorism, by serving as a centre for law enforcement cooperation, expertise and criminal intelligence; https://www.europol.europa.eu/target-gr ... ral-public

European Arrest Warrant (EAW) is a mechanism by which individuals wanted in relation to significant crimes are extradited between EU member states to face prosecution or to serve a prison sentence for an existing conviction. In the UK extradition policy is owned by the Home Office.

Hard to see how leaving Europol, Eurojust, and the European Arrest Warrant can improve security in UK. Still, the will of the 37% must prevail

European Medicines Agency currently based in London moving to Amsterdam employees over 800 Doctors, Scientists, Researchers testing the efficacy and accreditation of all drugs including cancer drugs which are used all over the EU. http://www.ema.europa.eu/ema/

Still to come Euratom: nuclear safety and research watchdog https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics- ... u-40571853

Flinders
Posts: 2841
Joined: 10 Mar 2009, 6:47pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Flinders » 19 Jun 2018, 8:23pm

stu1102 wrote:Its reassuring in that were 'taking back control' and as a result are leaving the following EU institutions:

Eurojust: Eurojust's primary focus are on crimes that represent an "especial threat" to citizens, such as terrorism, drug trafficking, trafficking in human beings, cybercrime, fraud, corruption, money laundering and other economic crime. http://eurojust.europa.eu/Pages/home.aspx


Europol is mandated by the European Union (EU) to assist EU Member States in the fight against international crime, such as illicit drugs, trafficking in human beings, intellectual property crime, cybercrime, euro counterfeiting and terrorism, by serving as a centre for law enforcement cooperation, expertise and criminal intelligence; https://www.europol.europa.eu/target-gr ... ral-public

European Arrest Warrant (EAW) is a mechanism by which individuals wanted in relation to significant crimes are extradited between EU member states to face prosecution or to serve a prison sentence for an existing conviction. In the UK extradition policy is owned by the Home Office.

Hard to see how leaving Europol, Eurojust, and the European Arrest Warrant can improve security in UK. Still, the will of the 37% must prevail

European Medicines Agency currently based in London moving to Amsterdam employees over 800 Doctors, Scientists, Researchers testing the efficacy and accreditation of all drugs including cancer drugs which are used all over the EU. http://www.ema.europa.eu/ema/

Still to come Euratom: nuclear safety and research watchdog https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics- ... u-40571853

It's just dire- we're losing all this because the press spent the best part of 40 years lying about the EU and blaming it for all the UK governments' own shortcomings, and a couple of percentage points more people were suckered by that than weren't.

Flinders
Posts: 2841
Joined: 10 Mar 2009, 6:47pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Flinders » 19 Jun 2018, 8:24pm

pete75 wrote:
RickH wrote:
mr bajokoses wrote:
It becomes ever more obvious, that there are no benefits.

We were promised the "sunny uplands" (was that Boris?) but it looking more like they will be an arid wasteland (I've got Mont Ventoux above the tree line in my mind's eye here)!


The same Boris who promised a bonfire of regulations when he became mayor of London. All that achieved was a bonfire of Grenfell Tower.

Yes- and he's the one that took a hatchet to the London fire service too.

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 41785
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Mick F » 20 Jun 2018, 8:47pm

Mick F. Cornwall

mercalia
Posts: 8455
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby mercalia » 20 Jun 2018, 9:02pm

Mick F wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvYuoWyk8iU


oh so true.

mercalia
Posts: 8455
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby mercalia » 20 Jun 2018, 9:22pm

I see the BBC has calculated the Brexit Dividend

brexit.JPG
Brexit Dividend


I make it £49.25? hmm wont go very far :lol:

stu1102
Posts: 80
Joined: 24 Jun 2013, 8:38pm
Location: Beeston, Nottignham

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby stu1102 » 22 Jun 2018, 12:44pm

Project reality not Project fear

Image



https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44570931


Image

'Could this be the Conservative Mp that voted against the single market, customs union and a meaningful vote to prevent a no-deal. This is on him and all his other colleagues who put party before country.'


Don't worry. This was clearly stated on the Brexit ballot paper in 2016....
It's fine. It's what we voted for....

Here are the AIRBUS numbers for contributions to UK economy..........OMG


Image

Image
Last edited by stu1102 on 22 Jun 2018, 3:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

PDQ Mobile
Posts: 1438
Joined: 2 Aug 2015, 4:40pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby PDQ Mobile » 22 Jun 2018, 1:50pm

I flew into Manchester in the week following the referendum.
I was disturbed by the result and I would engage perfect strangers in conversation about it, an attempt on my part to understand.
In the (long!) passport queue that day were 3 chaps who worked for Airbus in Flintshire.
They had all voted Leave!

I suggested that seemed rather strange as they worked for a successful European enterprise.
I was left with the impression that reasons other than that consideration was their reason, just "Take back control" sort of stuff.

It would be interesting to see how they felt now.

mr bajokoses
Posts: 127
Joined: 13 Dec 2007, 5:19pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby mr bajokoses » 22 Jun 2018, 2:14pm

It's chilling to see how the blame for Brexit, ultimately, will be passed to the electorate, who, of course, knew exactly what they were voting for. May calls it delivering what the people voted for. Many Brexiters still refer to the Will Of The People.

Never mind that no-one can define Brexit, let alone agree on what it means. Never mind that there is no such thing as The Will Of The People.

Once we leave and the damage really begins, these politicians and 'leaders' will run away from the wreckage as fast as they can.

Debs
Posts: 192
Joined: 19 May 2017, 7:05pm
Location: Over the hill

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Debs » 22 Jun 2018, 2:54pm

mr bajokoses wrote: Many Brexiters still refer to the Will Of The People.
.


It is the Will of the people in this Tory Government, and in the interest of very right wing Tory Party Policy, that much is true :twisted:

Debs
Posts: 192
Joined: 19 May 2017, 7:05pm
Location: Over the hill

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Debs » 23 Jun 2018, 3:49pm

SIGN THE PETITION...

peoples-vote.uk

WE, THE PEOPLE
We, the undersigned,
demand a People’s Vote on the Brexit deal.

User avatar
661-Pete
Posts: 6867
Joined: 22 Nov 2012, 8:45pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby 661-Pete » 23 Jun 2018, 3:54pm

The soi-disant "will of the people" as expressed by the Brex**iteer fraternity, clearly does not extend to the estimated 100,000 marching in London today. We would have loved to be there with them, were it not that we are in France at the moment. For one thing, I have an EU flag borrowed from a fellow-campaigner, which I haven't had a chance to return to her yet. Oh well - hopefully there'll be another chance. And even more hopefully - the powers-that-be will eventually come to notice the elephant....
Pete

Et qui rit des curés d'Oc?/De Meuse raines, houp! de cloques./De quelles loques ce turque coin./Et ne d'anes ni rennes,/Ecuries des curés d'Oc. - Louis d'Antin

brynpoeth
Posts: 5379
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby brynpoeth » 23 Jun 2018, 4:01pm

661-Pete wrote:The soi-disant "will of the people" as expressed by the Brex**iteer fraternity, clearly does not extend to the estimated 100,000 marching in London today. We would have loved to be there with them, were it not that we are in France at the moment. For one thing, I have an EU flag borrowed from a fellow-campaigner, which I haven't had a chance to return to her yet. Oh well - hopefully there'll be another chance. And even more hopefully - the powers-that-be will eventually come to notice the elephant....

Pulse of Europe is fighting for Europe
When I checked, Bath was the only UK town where PoE was active, guess the locals are used to Europe after the romans took over 2000 years ago :wink:

Maybe economic growth and increasing use of resources will stop, Plus One
That nice Mr Cameron wanted to grow happiness, not just wealth
Should he get a second chance as pm?
Alternative facts welcome
......
Cycling? Of course, but it is far better on a Gillott

crazydave789
Posts: 447
Joined: 22 Jul 2017, 10:21pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby crazydave789 » 23 Jun 2018, 4:50pm

Happy second anniversary everyone, glad to see a lot of you are still remoaning as usual and not rolling over to accept the increasing will of the public to just get on with it.

remember most of us voted for 30 million unemployed a 90% house price crash in the south east, total collapse of sterling, riots on the streets, death of first born male children (thats me done then but at least I miss the meteorite impact) oh and a plague of frogs. we knew EXACTLY what we were voting for - something better than the EU which we never voted to join in the first place.

I am somewhat annoyed that cameron and osborne were talking nonsense arguaments from 1974 and it is still going on.

just watching the BBC repeat and seeing a squirming Chukka the self loving media addict change his tone from accepting the will of the people - we lost and important lessons have to be learnt - to ignore my last we have to fight this all the way. well worth watching again to see the glum faces.

Psamathe
Posts: 8687
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Psamathe » 23 Jun 2018, 5:06pm

crazydave789 wrote:.....we knew EXACTLY what we were voting for......

Yes, we voted not to pay the EU £350m a week ... except the Government Chief statistician then said
https://www.statisticsauthority.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Letter-from-Sir-David-Norgrove-to-Foreign-Secretary.pdf wrote:This confuses gross and net contributions.....
It is a clear misuse of official statistics.

Yet Boris and the Leave Campaigns just kept on using it.

Maybe we should have listened to Andrea Leadsom when in 2013 she said "I don’t think the UK should leave the EU. I think it would be a disaster for our economy and it would lead to a decade of economic and political uncertainty at a time when the tectonic plates of global success are moving." Or maybe Arron Banks when he said "Increasingly, the Norway option looks the best for the UK" or have listened to Nigel Farange when he said "Wouldn’t it be terrible if we were really like Norway and Switzerland? Really? They’re rich. They’re happy. They’re self-governing", etc., etc.

But you are right about knowing EXACTLY what we voted for, my ballot paper was explicit and only said about leaving the EU. No mention of leaving the EEA or leaving the Customs Union or leaving Euratom or ending Freedom of Movement or the ECJ, etc., etc. One question, one decision yet our more lunatic fringe politicians seem to be broadening the answer from the referendum to include all their personal ideology.

Ian