** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2
Posts: 36350
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby reohn2 » 21 Oct 2018, 1:12am

al_yrpal wrote:
661-Pete wrote:
If the Gov. really doesn't listen, the big fear is rioting in the streets - or even civil war...


Clearly illustrating that many dont understand what democracy means. Basically the Remainers world is just like the EU, undemocratic.

Al

With such a small majority of 1.9% I'd suggest it's no mandate to put the whole country's foreseeable future at risk with no going back once left,and at that on the whim of a failure of a PM(Camaron)to quiten a small section of his political party.
Add to that the illegal activities of the leave campaign during the run up and I'd say it's supporters of brexit that have no concept of true democracy and that they're blinkered as to the cliff edge the country stands on,or the conception that a high percentage of those who voted leave will be dead and gone before the country recovers,if it ever does,from such a vote,and a totally divided nation,leaving those approaching voting age along with the rest of us to pick up the pieces.

Please do not even try to preach democracy to me over the EU referendum or politricks in the UK FTM,it was a shambles in it's conception,has been a shambles the way it was conducted and AFAICS will be a shambles in the future when we leave,and will leave the country poorer intitially and most likely poorer in the future on so many levels not just economically but culturally and environmentally.

YVMV mine will remain the same unless proven otherwise.You,along with the other supporters of brexit on this forum and in the media and across the political spectrum haven't given me one shred of evidence to the contrary or any hope as to a better future for the UK outside the EU.
Last edited by reohn2 on 21 Oct 2018, 1:49am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 10690
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 21 Oct 2018, 1:42am

Hi,
All Hot Air.

Do you think that every voter examines (wastes time discussing) all this in detail?
All I hear is moaning.

Put it this way if we stayed that is the vote went for stay instead 1st round, would all the Brexiters be moaning so much...........I wouldn't.

Losers vote.

I want brexit because that's what I voted for............what did you vote for.

Plenty reasons for leave........respect is what we did not get from eu the morning after!
Why?
They would not respect the decision.

If its was wrong then why did the EU let it go ahead................so the whole EU was bambozzled by the leave campaign?

If the brexiters got it wrong then why did the EU which the remainers trusted not see it all.
Did the remainers change their mind at what the voters were voting for the day after ref, because it was a bad deal or that they lost?

I am leaver don't need to go to a rally.

Estimated 700 000 that's 1.1% of the population...................
If You Don't Try You Don't Do.....Don't Do You Don't Get...I'm Still Trying....Well Very..
You'll Find Me At The Top Of A Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..

reohn2
Posts: 36350
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby reohn2 » 21 Oct 2018, 1:48am

N.A.
Your posts and reasoning become more obscure,harder to follow and without any evidence of solid reason or argument as to why the UK should leave.
Bizarre doesn't begin to describe it!

Sorry if that is harsh but it's fair and honest
Last edited by reohn2 on 21 Oct 2018, 9:01am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

brynpoeth
Posts: 11271
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby brynpoeth » 21 Oct 2018, 7:16am

Good news! Headline in the Grauniad

Motor manufacturer warns entire industries could be killed off
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 46792
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Mick F » 21 Oct 2018, 9:44am

Am I correct in saying that the Leave voters voted through raw emotion, and the Remain voters voted thoughtfully and intelligently?
Mick F. Cornwall

User avatar
661-Pete
Posts: 9183
Joined: 22 Nov 2012, 8:45pm
Location: Sussex

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby 661-Pete » 21 Oct 2018, 9:56am

Mick F wrote:Am I correct in saying that the Leave voters voted through raw emotion, and the Remain voters voted thoughtfully and intelligently?
At least the forum is aware of your political slant, so we can easily recognise sarcasm!

But what you say is essentially true. At least, I got a sense of it when I encountered Leave campaigners in the street in the run-up back in 2016. They were going on about 'immigration' and such stuff. I told them out loud, they were "a bunch of racists". Perhaps it was a bit foolish of me: could easily have led to fisticuffs. Luckily it didn't. But I was so angry at them. And if they were representative of Leave campaigners as a whole, I'm angry at the whole lot of them...

I'm still angry. But the Leavers don't care.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

User avatar
661-Pete
Posts: 9183
Joined: 22 Nov 2012, 8:45pm
Location: Sussex

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby 661-Pete » 21 Oct 2018, 10:01am

Estimated 700 000 that's 1.1% of the population...................

Make that 700,002 - since Mrs P and I were thinking of going, but didn't.

Actually a whole lot more than 700,002. Probably more like 20-30 million. Not everyone can join in a march.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

Psamathe
Posts: 10603
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Psamathe » 21 Oct 2018, 10:05am

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:....
Plenty reasons for leave........respect is what we did not get from eu the morning after!
Why?
They would not respect the decision.....

In what way did we not get "respect" from the EU. People/countries earn respect, it's not something you get by e.g. putting Farange in a Parliament and watching him throw insults at peole he dislikes e.g.
Farange in 2010 directed at Van Rompuy wrote:You have the charisma of a damp rag, and the appearance of a low-grade bank clerk


But I don't quite understand what you expected them to do to show this "respect" you consider we deserve.

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:....
If its was wrong then why did the EU let it go ahead................so the whole EU was bambozzled by the leave campaign?
.......

EU had no powers and would not attempt to stop a domestic referendum. It is outside their remit, nothing to do with them.

Respecting the UK referendum has nothing to do with granting us our every wish.

Ian

Psamathe
Posts: 10603
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Psamathe » 21 Oct 2018, 10:09am

Mick F wrote:Am I correct in saying that the Leave voters voted through raw emotion, and the Remain voters voted thoughtfully and intelligently?

My personal opinion is that Leave voters voted for a wide range of different reasons, some because of the threat from us being swamped by Turkish immigrants, some for £350m a week extra for the NHS, some because we "can have our cake and eat it", etc.

And I suspect it is because of these different reasons that the Leave ideologists in Westminster are getting so aggressive and scared because they realise they are not delivering on so many of these reasons for voting Leave and thus a referendum of the negotiated deal will suffer because the negotiated deal will not include many of the promises persuading different people to vote Leave.

Ian

kwackers
Posts: 13726
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby kwackers » 21 Oct 2018, 10:14am

Probably worth pointing out that not everyone in the demonstration yesterday was a remainer, quite a few leavers there too who feel they're being sold a pup and want a say on the final thing.

Part of the issue here is too many hard line leavers are deliberately interpreting this vote as a "second referendum" and then throwing all the usual unimaginative one liners at it.
It isn't a "second referendum" it's the first referendum where you get to vote on what you're being offered.
Nobody knows what the options would be - they could be as simple as "1. Accept, 2. WTO".

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 7796
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Cully
Contact:

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby al_yrpal » 21 Oct 2018, 10:15am

Mick F wrote:Am I correct in saying that the Leave voters voted through raw emotion, and the Remain voters voted thoughtfully and intelligently?


No… its not intelligent to Remain in the protectionist anti democratic Superstate dominated by two nations. The EU started out as a protectionist enterprise and continues like that to this day. The Metroplitan Elite supported by a raft of UK resident EU citizens, Academia and the naive turned out in force yesterday but Leavers are still here. If its emotional to want to make our own laws, control our own borders and fisheries and trade around the world with whomsoever we want on terms that we negotiate I would say that thats pretty logical rather than emotional. Emotion and fear clearly drive Remain with idiotic people making unwarranted racist slurs.


Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?

reohn2
Posts: 36350
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby reohn2 » 21 Oct 2018, 10:16am

Psamathe wrote:.

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:....
If its was wrong then why did the EU let it go ahead................so the whole EU was bambozzled by the leave campaign?
.......

EU had no powers and would not attempt to stop a domestic referendum. It is outside their remit, nothing to do with them.

Respecting the UK referendum has nothing to do with granting us our every wish.

Ian


It's the sovereign right of any country within the EU,that same sovereign right the leave camp so desperately wish to claim back for the UK :roll: .

I heard the actor Micheal Caine talking this week about brexit,he said he was a staunch supporter of brexit,claiming he'd rather be poor and sovereign than rich and beholden to the EU.
Fine words from a man who lives in the US and is a multimillionaire,I suspect such shysters as he were the ones who put their money into the brexit campaign,whilst the common or garden supporter of brexit was more concerned about who they might have living next door!
Last edited by reohn2 on 21 Oct 2018, 10:52am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2
Posts: 36350
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby reohn2 » 21 Oct 2018, 10:26am

al_yrpal wrote:
Mick F wrote:Am I correct in saying that the Leave voters voted through raw emotion, and the Remain voters voted thoughtfully and intelligently?


No… its not intelligent to Remain in the protectionist anti democratic Superstate dominated by two nations. The EU started out as a protectionist enterprise and continues like that to this day. The Metroplitan Elite supported by a raft of UK resident EU citizens, Academia and the naive turned out in force yesterday but Leavers are still here. If its emotional to want to make our own laws, control our own borders and fisheries and trade around the world with whomsoever we want on terms that we negotiate I would say that thats pretty logical rather than emotional. Emotion and fear clearly drive Remain with idiotic people making unwarranted racist slurs.


Al

You keep trotting(sorry) out the same old misinformed lies disproved up thread by numerous posters.
Fear(an emotion?) definitely does drive he remainers,the fear of our children,grandchildren and greatgrandchildren's future into the hands of neolibralist millionaires and billionaires who care nought for them,their standard of living and environment.
Such people would take us back to serfdom to be lorded over by them!

Oh! you're damned right I'm emotional,and hateful of such SCUM!
Last edited by reohn2 on 21 Oct 2018, 10:48am, edited 2 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

User avatar
Graham
Moderator
Posts: 5935
Joined: 14 Dec 2006, 8:48pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Graham » 21 Oct 2018, 10:27am

Forgive me for not reading the 500+ pages above. :shock: This might have been covered before.

Does anyone else have the suspicion that somewhere around the levers-of-power the gameplan was to manoeuvre the political situation into such a god-awful, terrifying mess that the referendum would eventually be rerun ?

Psamathe
Posts: 10603
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Psamathe » 21 Oct 2018, 10:28am

al_yrpal wrote:
Mick F wrote:Am I correct in saying that the Leave voters voted through raw emotion, and the Remain voters voted thoughtfully and intelligently?


No… its not intelligent to Remain in the protectionist anti democratic Superstate dominated by two nations. The EU started out as a protectionist enterprise and continues like that to this day. The Metroplitan Elite supported by a raft of UK resident EU citizens, Academia and the naive turned out in force yesterday but Leavers are still here. If its emotional to want to make our own laws, control our own borders and fisheries and trade around the world with whomsoever we want on terms that we negotiate I would say that thats pretty logical rather than emotional. Emotion and fear clearly drive Remain with idiotic people making unwarranted racist slurs.


Al

You keep on with this rant. We do make our own laws, it's what Westminster does. We do control our own borders (when I went on tour the only time I needed my passport was on leaving (UK emigration) and re-entering the UK (UK immigration), France didn't bother to check it, just the UK side). We can't control our own fisheries as to manage fisheries you need to manage it over larger areas - science (but we do already control our fishing quota allocation and it is the UK Government who have disproportionately issued quotas to large corporations and foreign owned vessels NOT the EU).

etc., etc.
I can no longer be bothered to counter your rants as you don't seem to be interested in reading about the issues or disagreeing with them but just keep pouring out rants.

Things like your fisheries rant have already been addressed in detail and taking quote a bit of time in responding yet you ignore the facts already given and just pour out rant. Disagree with the fact previously posted but please try and get beyond just repeating daft sound bites!

You need to be careful as you are starting to come across like the stereotype Mick F was accusing Leavers of belonging to.
Mick F wrote:Am I correct in saying that the Leave voters voted through raw emotion, and the Remain voters voted thoughtfully and intelligently?


Ian