What a twisted use of the law?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

What a twisted use of the law?

Post by mercalia »

"Denmark’s decision to separate married couples in refugee centres if one party is below the age of 18 has been reversed after the government concluded it was in violation of international conventions. "

"Specifically, the agency concluded that the separate living quarters would violate the UN’s Convention on the Rights of the Child and Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights, which guarantees the right to one's "private and family life”."

how twisted can you get? no wonder some here want to exit from these "conventions"

what next let their children get married there? no wonder some are worried about the influx of those from "ultra conservative" ( heh ) nations.

https://www.thelocal.dk/20160928/denmark-reverses-course-on-refugee-child-brides
meic

Re: What a twisted use of the law?

Post by meic »

how twisted can you get?

Personally, I think the twisted ones are those who seek to break up a legally married couple for some arrogant notions they have about who should or shouldnt be allowed to get married.
Yma o Hyd
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

meic wrote:
how twisted can you get?

Personally, I think the twisted ones are those who seek to break up a legally married couple for some arrogant notions they have about who should or shouldnt be allowed to get married.

stay in their own country. simple. dont corrupt ours ( or Denmarks in this case ) They call your views "cultural relativism" a highly questionable viewpoint that denies human progress.
pwa

Post by pwa »

It depends how young they are. 16 is very different from 13, for example. I'd regard two 17 year olds being married as unwise, but I wouldn't interfere.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

Same thing going on in Germany with young brides.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/06 ... dge-rules/
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I seem to remember reading some where of cases of as young as 12 being "legally" married. Not sure which EU country it was.

No wonder the far right are anti islam and migrants. make me want to join them if this went on on a large scale. The law is an ass as the saying goes. Dont want eg UK law being subordinated to Sharia in our own country. Once upon a time the UN decided the Jews should have a homeland, where they can live according to their laws and ways.
Last edited by mercalia on 28 Sep 2016, 9:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
meic

Post by meic »

My views have nothing to do with "cultural relativism" they are just about the oppression of youth.
I dont see how a law that is supposedly to protect the young person themselves can be used to put them into greater jeopardy, or how them being married prior to 18 somehow, anyhow corrupts our society.
Nothing to stop a couple of seventeen year olds "shacking up" in the UK or Denmark.
Yma o Hyd
meic

Post by meic »

Spain was recently the lowest at 14 years but lifted it to 16, leaving Estonia the youngest at 15.

However for those wishing to have their morality really challenged Germans can legally have sex as young as fourteen! :shock: Mary Whitehouse where are you?
Yma o Hyd
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:
meic wrote:
how twisted can you get?

stay in their own country. simple. dont corrupt ours ( or Denmarks in this case ) They call your views "cultural relativism" a highly questionable viewpoint that denies human progress.

So your point is nobody should ever go and live in another country and anyone who does move is corrupting it? Bizarre.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pete75 wrote:
mercalia wrote:
meic wrote:Personally, I think the twisted ones are those who seek to break up a legally married couple for some arrogant notions they have about who should or shouldnt be allowed to get married.

So your point is nobody should ever go and live in another country and anyone who does move is corrupting it? Bizarre.

you are just being obtuse

In Denmarks case it seems 2 of the migrant girls who are married are just 14.

We all know what kids get up to when they reach puberty at 12 or so, and the police are not called in; but what the law should allow is a different matter is about protecting not merely punishing; if you allow minors to marry they no longer have protection under the law
Last edited by mercalia on 28 Sep 2016, 10:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Denmark you have to be 18 to get married. In the UK it's 18 or 16 with parents permission except Scotland where you don't need their permission.

Andorra it's 14, but Germany it's 16.

Imagine a refugee marries in Germany but.ends up in Denmark. Or simply a German citizen married and under 18 could live there but not a refugee fleeing dangerous situation or oppression.

Yes twisted indeed.

Jeez your clutching at straws man! You really got an axe to grind against migrants or EU I think. Take a UKIP chill pill or Farage pint of beer. 16 year old marriages are legal in UK. Denmark can't split uk citizens in this way when staying over there. International law as in UN set laws both UK and Denmark are signed up to would prevent this. Refugees or EU citizens doesn't matter. If you've got a right to stay and are married legally not allowed to split.

Good they realized it before the expense of legal.challenge. Very civilized, UK would go down the.enforcement followed by.humiliating legal challenge that forces us to u turn at a lot of expense.

Just looked at an independent online article that lists legal marriage age in many countries. Interesting reading. For example EU tends to be mostly 16 for boys and girls. African countries tend to be 18 or older for men and no younger than 16 for girls, basically no younger than a lot of EU countries. Pakistan, India and Bangladesh are older, 21 and 18 for men and women respectively.

Saudi Arabia it's very young as is a lot of Arabic countries. South America tends to be young too but 15 is the youngest I believe.

Now I believe my great grandmother was younger than 16 when she married. That was America in very.different times. In.the UK in those days I believed children were able to marry young as well. Whilst you might prefer over 18 years for marriage if it's legal there is not much.that can.be done. Even in the UK I heard a married, foreign couple younger than our legal marriage age has to be recognised. However I guess under 16 and they can't consummate in.the UK without breaking the law.which is enforceable I reckon.

BTW no legal expert so.could be wrong in some of the details but the gist is I don't see.how Denmark could split them legally. It's purely a measure of deterrence against migrants/refugees.
meic

Post by meic »

No wonder the far right are anti islam and migrants. make me want to join them if this went on on a large scale.

What "skin off your nose" or even business of anybody elses if sonmebody else is married or not?

The law wasnt about sexual morality, that's covered in another law, it is to protect the intellectually immature from making a big mistake before they have worked out the rules of life. In these cases any mistake has already been made OR NOT and it would be stupid to automatically assume that all marriages made by the under 18 year olds had to be a mistake.

I know plenty of people who started their relationships at fifteen and have outlived my own marriage started in my thirties.
Yma o Hyd
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/the-lowest-age-you-can-legally-get-married-around-the-world-10415517.html

Gives tyre legal age of marriage around the world. A bit worried buy Nauru having 0 years as the legal age.

Interesting how Pakistan is 18 and 16 for men and women. Bangladesh is 21 and 18. India is the reverse at 18 and 21 for men/women. Usually I think they're given as examples of.marriage too.young.

UK is 16 with or without parental permission depending on whether you elope to Scotland or not. BTW flee at 16 to Scotland and get married then back in England it's still legal even without parental permission.

Hey I get this Islamophobia thing. You fear them so anything they do is wrong end of. Marriage under our legal age is an easy win over here. UKIPers shouldn't be needing another win after the Brexit vote win.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:
pete75 wrote:
mercalia wrote:

you are just being obtuse

Well if that isn't your point what is it?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker