Motorhomes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
meic

Re: Motorhomes

Post by meic »

And some people do in fact live in tents.

I have done that. It makes you really appreciate your house when you get one, especially the kitchen.
Yma o Hyd
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
My camping from an early age was tent rucksack and boots.

So when people say camping I still think that what it is, adding a bike is OK.

But camping with a tent and chairs and blow up beds with car is not the same because of my previous experience so I cant call that camping / or its my first thought that it would be minimum gear as I would do.

Wild camping is also to me not camp site but open land, though this is thought mostly camping in vehicle not in pay site, OK.
I will admit a big box that you will just park on a pay site for a week or woo would be more economical just to hire a camper / on site caravan.
We mostly wild camp with camper and I am lucky that the camper is all self contained, I just like the freedom to go anywhere and stay the night at will.
Add cycle rack and what more is there, each to their own.

But those are just your ideas,other people may have completely different pov on what camping is. I'd never consider holidaying in the caravan as "camping" and that's not out of any snobbish idea,it simply isn't camping.
TBH I like creature comforts such as hot showers and a soft bed too much, thats why we like caravaning it fulfils our holiday needs and wants,we choose quiet sites with minimum services outside of a good clean toilet/shower block electric hook up and fresh running water we have little need for but those are a minimum.
We find such sites affordable so much so that we can have five or six holidays a year in the UK and one longer one in France, NLor Belgium,etc,all in perfect comfort :D .
Last edited by reohn2 on 9 Oct 2016, 11:26am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I'm always looking at and considering a caravan or camper. But in my case, my trips are two weeks at tmost and usually a week or a long weekend. So once you do the maths, it just does not make financial sense. The comment about we have to much I totally agree with. The more things I have the more responsibilty I have and more things to maintain, insure, tax etc. All of these things take time and money. My time becomes more valuable as I age and I don't want to waste it on material objects.
But sadly. I keep looking.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

horizon wrote:Seriously though, I think we all have too much (me included). Life should be simpler. And I would ask the question again: what do you get with a motor home? I know what I would find nice, but it was just that thought: we have enough on our bicycles. But that wouldn't stop me wanting one. :)

I can't speak for M/homes as we've rejected that idea in favour of a touring caravan and as I said in my previous reply,we like creature comforts and the ability set up the 'van and use the car without having to pack up shop,it's what works best for us. I'm typing this from the foot of Snowdon where we've been residing for the past week :D
Good question - the native Americans thought we were mad to live in houses. And some people do in fact live in tents.

How many of them live in tents/wigwams these days?
Their lives were semi nomadic,which is pretty much what I like to do in a modern way,but with a base (house).
EDIT:- I forgot to mention earlier in the week we had a night of 40mph winds I was glad we were tucked up our caravan :D
Last edited by reohn2 on 9 Oct 2016, 11:30am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
meic

Post by meic »

bigjim wrote:I'm always looking at and considering a caravan or camper. But in my case, my trips are two weeks at tmost and usually a week or a long weekend. So once you do the maths, it just does not make financial sense. The comment about we have to much I totally agree with. The more things I have the more responsibilty I have and more things to maintain, insure, tax etc. All of these things take time and money. My time becomes more valuable as I age and I don't want to waste it on material objects.

If I get a transporter it will be instead of the car not in addition to the car.
Even with your scenario and also using it to overnight before and after audaxes, it still doesnt quite make financial sense.
Yma o Hyd
georgew

Post by georgew »

bigjim wrote:I'm always looking at and considering a caravan or camper. But in my case, my trips are two weeks at tmost and usually a week or a long weekend. So once you do the maths, it just does not make financial sense. The comment about we have to much I totally agree with. The more things I have the more responsibilty I have and more things to maintain, insure, tax etc. All of these things take time and money. My time becomes more valuable as I age and I don't want to waste it on material objects.

I suppose it all depends upon what you choose really. I wanted a bit more space and comfort than my light-weight tent (ageing is a real pain) but the price of most Campers put them out of my range. However it is possible to buy a small, converted vehicle which can double as an every-day car and for not too much money. These are usually Citroen Berlingo/Fiat Doblo type vehicles which lend themselves to being converted to a small Camper. My own is a Fiat Doblo, originally used by a disabled person for transporting a wheelchair and which now sports a double bed, table, double gas hob, electric light, pumped water and has both fresh and used water containers.
After forty years in a small tent it is to me the height of luxury and I was able to specify the build and materials and all for the grand total of £5500.
For anyone thinking about buying something similar may I recommend the buying/selling section of this website:
http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/forum/index.php
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Forty years ago my dad bought a BMC IIRC ambulance from the local red cross, it had done just 8500 miles for £50.
He ripped out all the furniture that was not needed added a camp stove and used parts to make two single beds, parents then toured north devon to go to the area where his grandfather lived and worked, that is all I remember.

My not be first choice of a donor vechicle.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Hah the old girl failed to start for 2nd time in almost 20 years :?
Its got colder of late, and trying to start there was an occasional puff but would not pick up, I always imagine the worst at times like these as motor is 27 years old but only 90K on clock, for a diesel that's not a lot.

Replaced the heaters (non turbo lump) many moons ago not because they had failed just a good thing to do I thought.
Kept the old ones which may well had not seen 25 K in motor, checked ones in camper 4 ohms - open circuit - 28 ohms - 288 ohms :?
One old spare was open circuit and rest were at 4 ohms, so I have 4 goodens...............success.................battery is probably not 100% probably 6 years old, need to start when its 10 C or less, trouble is living in sunny south devon the temp is climbing to 15 before I can get out to try, but I am a bit more confident.
Occasional puff from engine was obviously just the one heater working, above 15 C the fuel vaporises easier.
Been getting harder to start as it got colder, new battery is on the cards.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

A spray can of Easy Start http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine ... tart-300ml into the carb works wonders for reluctant diesels. A flat battery and hand crank on our boat always used to yield to Easy Start.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
rjb

Post by rjb »

al_yrpal wrote:A spray can of Easy Start http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine ... tart-300ml into the carb works wonders for reluctant diesels. A flat battery and hand crank on our boat always used to yield to Easy Start.

Al

And I thought Bradley was only taking a Ventolin spray to open his airways. Now we know I want some "easy start" to get me going.
:roll: :shock: :lol: :shock: :roll:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

rjb wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:A spray can of Easy Start http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine ... tart-300ml into the carb works wonders for reluctant diesels. A flat battery and hand crank on our boat always used to yield to Easy Start.

Al

And I thought Bradley was only taking a Ventolin spray to open his airways. Now we know I want some "easy start" to get me going.

I think its ether, or something quite close, so instead of getting you going it would have the opposite effect :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

al_yrpal wrote:
rjb wrote:

Al

I think its ether, or something quite close, so instead of getting you going it would have the opposite effect :lol:

Al

Diesel carb you say? Petrol, shirley?
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Careful with easystart. Engines get addicted to it believe it or not. Squirt into the air intake whilst turning it over. Had years of this with BMC blackcab engines. Bump start is easier with a diesel.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Bonefishblues wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:
rjb wrote:

Al

Diesel carb you say? Petrol, shirley?

Well, air intake, take to air filter off.

Al
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
So which is the fuel, ether and kerosene (paraffin), ether I suppose is for ease of starting with low flash point?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carburete ... del_engine

"Fuel[edit]
These "diesels" run on a mixture of kerosene, ethanol, ether, castor oil or vegetable oil, and cetane or amyl nitrite booster. The fuel used contains Diethyl ether, which is highly volatile and has an extremely low flash point, combined with kerosene and a lubricant plus a very small proportion (typically 2%) of ignition improver such as Amyl nitrite or preferably Isopropyl nitrate nowadays."