Apple Mac spelling

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Apple Mac spelling

Postby Mick F » 3 Oct 2016, 3:23pm

Hi guys, still no news or result.

Mrs Mick F has a MacBook, and hers spells in US English too, despite it being set correctly ......... like mine.
She's an excellent speller, so it doesn't bother her.

She came up with another three test-words:

travelling
pedalling
jewellery

I have no objection to US English spellings, but I don't want UK English to be marked as incorrect when I've specifically set the computer to UK English only.
Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 15.22.30.png
Mick F. Cornwall

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 3 Oct 2016, 3:34pm

I have always been told by users that Macs are foolproof, virus proof, bombproof, idiotproof and generally the best computers on the planet. You have shaken my faith…

Try switching it off and then on again.

Al

Or, see if you can find its dictionary and delete it, then copy across a UK dictionary from another machine..
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 3 Oct 2016, 3:56pm

On mine:
Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 15.44.09.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 15.44.09.png (8.55 KiB) Viewed 192 times

And system preferences
Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 15.54.15.png

I've never bothered to change it so maybe try fixing yours to "British English" (if it isn't already)

Ian

wahoofish

Postby wahoofish » 3 Oct 2016, 4:20pm

Psamathe wrote:
wahoofish wrote:Upgrade to Sierra. Brilliant ...

In what way is it better than previous releases ?

Certainly more bugs in bluetooth drivers. Seems to crash more often. But otherwise no much changed. (Oh except you can not adjust the display size of Notes app text to either too small or too large - better than just having "too small").

Ian

I am loving the auto unlock with Apple Watch, the shared documents and spreadsheets and the copy on an iOS device and paste directly on to my macs. The Apple Pay online with the phone feature I have not tried yet, but am certain that will be great when I do.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 3 Oct 2016, 4:27pm

wahoofish wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
wahoofish wrote:Upgrade to Sierra. Brilliant ...

In what way is it better than previous releases ?

Certainly more bugs in bluetooth drivers. Seems to crash more often. But otherwise no much changed. (Oh except you can not adjust the display size of Notes app text to either too small or too large - better than just having "too small").

Ian

I am loving the auto unlock with Apple Watch, the shared documents and spreadsheets and the copy on an iOS device and paste directly on to my macs. The Apple Pay online with the phone feature I have not tried yet, but am certain that will be great when I do.

For me it would have been better if they'd maybe fixed a few bugs rather than just introducing more bugs. Don't use a watch, Don't use Continuity (impact on battery life and not something I find useful). The clipboard feature has been available for some time (through 3rd party apps). I'm even thinking about going back down to iOS 9 because of the poor battery life with iOS 10. Apple are getting very very bad regarding bugs and fixing them. In the "old days" such poor quality would never have been tolerated.

I do think Apple have run out of ideas. The build-up and launch of the latest iPhone was as per usual (lots of "best ever"s, etc.) and normally press is discussing it for sometime afterwards. But this time very little/lot less in the Press - a real non-event, mainly because there was nothing significant.

Ian

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 3 Oct 2016, 5:14pm

al_yrpal wrote:I have always been told by users that Macs are foolproof, virus proof, bombproof, idiotproof and generally the best computers on the planet. You have shaken my faith…

Try switching it off and then on again.

Al

Or, see if you can find its dictionary and delete it, then copy across a UK dictionary from another machine..
Back in the previous operating systems, there was a dictionary app that you could modify and alter. Can't do it now. They are foolproof, virus proof, bombproof and idiot proof ...................... but not US English proof any more.

As for finding the software code, it must be possible, and it must be easy for Apple HQ, but no matter how I look online or where I look, I can't find anyone anywhere complaining about it.
Mick F. Cornwall

wahoofish

Postby wahoofish » 3 Oct 2016, 5:48pm

Psamathe wrote:
wahoofish wrote:
Psamathe wrote:In what way is it better than previous releases ?

Ian

For me it would have been better if they'd maybe fixed a few bugs rather than just introducing more bugs. Don't use a watch, Don't use Continuity (impact on battery life and not something I find useful). The clipboard feature has been available for some time (through 3rd party apps). I'm even thinking about going back down to iOS 9 because of the poor battery life with iOS 10. Apple are getting very very bad regarding bugs and fixing them. In the "old days" such poor quality would never have been tolerated.

I do think Apple have run out of ideas. The build-up and launch of the latest iPhone was as per usual (lots of "best ever"s, etc.) and normally press is discussing it for sometime afterwards. But this time very little/lot less in the Press - a real non-event, mainly because there was nothing significant.

Ian

Take it you haven't tried the new iPhone, nor tried to order the7+ online.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my iPad using Tapatalk

mark a.

Postby mark a. » 3 Oct 2016, 7:10pm

Psamathe wrote:On mine:
Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 15.44.09.png

And system preferences
Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 15.54.15.png
I've never bothered to change it so maybe try fixing yours to "British English" (if it isn't already)

Ian

Mick F, if you try the page in Psamathe's post (System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Text), click on the "Automatic by Language" drop-down list, then select "Set up..." from the bottom of that list. On mine I have British English ticked and U.S. English unticked. What does yours say?

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 3 Oct 2016, 8:18pm

mark a. wrote: What does yours say?

This:
Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 20.17.34.png

Try Jewellery or Travelling or Pedalling for English.

Then try Jewelry or Traveling or Pedaling for American.
Mick F. Cornwall

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 6 Oct 2016, 10:25pm

Hi,
I must be thick :)
So here goes..................on the forum when you type, an incorrect word is underlined in red, after this what do I do :?:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 7 Oct 2016, 10:51am

With a Mac, you click on the word, then do a Control/Click, and it brings up a menu of the possible spellings. If you don't like any of those, and you are certain that the word is correct, you can click on "Learn Spelling" and it's added to the dictionary.

What you do with a PC, I don't know, but I'm willing to bet it's not much different.
Mick F. Cornwall

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 7 Oct 2016, 12:08pm

Hi,
Mick F wrote:With a Mac, you click on the word, then do a Control/Click, and it brings up a menu of the possible spellings. If you don't like any of those, and you are certain that the word is correct, you can click on "Learn Spelling" and it's added to the dictionary.

What you do with a PC, I don't know, but I'm willing to bet it's not much different.

Yep found it :)

Well no one tells you anything, its so simple and I did not ask :?
Saves me the long winded way I was doing it :oops:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.