Father of the Bride speeches

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
ferrit worrier

Father of the Bride speeches

Post by ferrit worrier »

Big day for our eldest tomorrow, Rachel and Dom are getting married and as the father of the bride I'll be making the usual speech etc. if anyone has any good tips I'll be pleased to hear them. :D

Ps going for a ride on the bike is out :lol:

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
bovlomov

Re: Father of the Bride speeches

Post by bovlomov »

- Don't say anything unless you have something to say.
- You can be funny, but don't tell jokes.

Good luck!
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Just leave it to the Best Man to screw up.
You'll do fine....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Good luck for the big day and good luck to your daughter and son-in-law for their future together.

I can't offer any tips: I have two sons, no daughters. I didn't even get to listen to any speeches because I wasn't at either wedding. One rang to say they had been married earlier in the day at Leeds Registry Office and would we like to go out for a meal. The other rang a couple of days before his wedding in Thailand saying "You remember when I told you I was getting married...." A bit like the Royal Family, we were represented at that ceremony by some friends of the bride. We both feel privileged to have such wonderful people as our daughters-in-law.

My own father-in-law reported sick on our wedding day in 1967 (big 50 next year) and it's only recently that my wife told me he boycotted our registry office wedding because it wasn't the real thing. For the ceremony, my wife wore a tiny but very loose white mini dress. Very fashionable in its day but hardly bridal. I discovered later she was trying to con people into assuming she was pregnant. Readers of the "Where were you in '73?" thread will know our firstborn didn't arrive for six years. It must run in the family: my wife's niece rang home to announce she had just been married in some tropical island. Perhaps it's away of avoiding all the speeches. :wink:

A couple of years ago we were staying at a country house hotel when a wedding group were posing for their photo album. At a suitable opportunity, I wished the bride good luck and she explained that they had been married some months but that the pics hadn't turned out as planned so she had hired the place for a reshoot. :roll:

Remember, it's only on soaps where there's drama.

Once again, Good Luck. :D
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Thought I'd add a photo of the wedding car, big re-spray all the outside and most of the inside.

IMG_0854.JPG

It's a vehicle we've had in the family for the last 28 years Rachel has always said that she would go to get married in the Landy.

Tomorrows the day :lol:

Thanks for the tips so far guys
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If you protect your Landrover the way I used to do mine, here's some music for the big event:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ha ... ORM=VDQVAP

PS Forgot to say I couldn't find a Waxoyl theme.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I've seen off,err sorry I mean,walked my three daughters down the aisle(one of them twice)and when asked to speak at the reception said as little as possible,just thanked everyone for coming and said how lovely the happy couple looked together,breathed a sigh of relief and sat back down.
As someone else has said let the best man do the talking :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

I hope that you enjoy the day. Try not to say to much.

One way to shorten the fotb speach is to have his identical twin (me) appear at the window behind him.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
skicat

Post by skicat »

One of the funniest quips I ever heard:

"The wedding organisers here at [Name of Venue] asked if we could bring along an interesting or poignant photograph of [The Bride] to use in the display. We looked through the album and came across one of her on the rug in front of the fire, completely naked and desperately trying to stand up. We were going to bring that, but then we thought "No, it's the only decent picture we have of her hen night".
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

My wife was "best man" at a wedding (someone she had grown up with)

Bride' family were not exactly happy, but Groom insisted

At the reception she did well, and was handed the cards to read by the Bride's Husband and told the order of importance.

Reading out one "very important" card (business associate of Grooms father) she had "John, Mary and Emma-Anne"

Unfortunately she is a dyslexic nurse and read it out as "John Mary, and an Enema"

Highlight of the wedding and still talked about 35 years later.
RickH

Post by RickH »

When my 2 daughters got married my speeches were very short. I just said what I wanted to say - mostly thanks to everyone & how proud I was to see them grown up & making their own way in the world.

At my youngest's wedding I was talking to the official photographer before the meal & he told me of a job he'd been on not long before where they had the speeches before the meal & the bride's father went on for an hour & a half! :shock:
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

RickH wrote:When my 2 daughters got married my speeches were very short. I just said what I wanted to say - mostly thanks to everyone & how proud I was to see them grown up & making their own way in the world.

You mean "We're FREE,at last FREE I tell you!" :mrgreen:
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Good morning FW!

How did it go?
Not just your speech, but the wedding?

BTW, your Landy looks smashing. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote: ... BTW, your Landy looks smashing. :D

I hope it was suitably dressed in white ribbon for the occasion.

Perhaps 7AM is a little early to expect a response from somebody who may not have had an early night. :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:
Perhaps 7AM is a little early to expect a response from somebody who may not have had an early night. :D

:)

I hope FW's family and indeed all concerned had a good and happy day to remember :)
W H Auden