Currently listening to .......

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Currently listening to .......

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:Carmina Burana (not just the famous bit).

Reminded me of Hildegard von Bingen,who's music I haven't listened to for quite a while,listening to Voice of the Living light at the moment:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF-lR4VG4t0 .....nice :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

reohn2 wrote:
fausto copy wrote:....a new frequency of tinnitus from my left lughole, (to go with the engine hum in my right). It's a bit like when you turn the gas on, on a hob before it lights. The way it's going I'll be looking for a gas oven to stick my head in. :?
Sorry to be so morbid, but please, please, please look after your lugs folks. I used to love listening to music but whatever I listen to these days is just an awful racket.
I've just about decided to dispose of my precious 600+ vinyl collection, as it seems to be in demand again.
fausto.

Mine's like feedback from an amp though at a low volume,it changes pitch but it's always there.Other noise drowns it out though and concentration on something else without sound can also help.
I know someone who's a TV cameraman but used to be a DJ and who has it really bad,drives him round the twist.
Mine stems from using impact rock drills when working in tunneling in the '70's.

Perhaps a daft question but have you sought medical help?

Yes. I've had CT and MRI scans but nothing found. My hearing seems to be deteriorating rather quicker than they can reset my two hearing aids and my brain is having problems adapting because everything seems to be changing so fast (a bit like the rest of my life I reckon :roll: ).
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

New Order Remixes .... again .... currently on " Jetstream " .....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

fausto copy wrote:Yes. I've had CT and MRI scans but nothing found. My hearing seems to be deteriorating rather quicker than they can reset my two hearing aids and my brain is having problems adapting because everything seems to be changing so fast (a bit like the rest of my life I reckon :roll: ).

You have my sympathies,and in other ways I appreciate your concerns.
Last edited by reohn2 on 5 Jan 2017, 4:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Chinese Folk songs - artist - Gong Linna ref ARC MUSIC LC 05111/EUCD 2129

rather nice - Chinese singing is an aquired taste as the singing is nasal and hard toned and often not easy for western ears to follow

"Beautiful Chinese folksongs sung by Gong Linna, one of the most outstanding Chinese vocalists today. Presented in many different regional styles and a variety of accompaniments on traditional Chinese instruments, dizi, xiao (flutes), yangqin (dulcimer), suona (oboe), sheng (mouth-blown organ) as well as Western violins, cellos and zither."

http://www.arcmusic.co.uk/shop/chinesefolksongsgonglinna-p-784.html
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:Chinese Folk songs - artist - Gong Linna ref ARC MUSIC LC 05111/EUCD 2129

rather nice - Chinese singing is an aquired taste as the singing is nasal and hard toned and often not easy for western ears to follow

"Beautiful Chinese folksongs sung by Gong Linna, one of the most outstanding Chinese vocalists today. Presented in many different regional styles and a variety of accompaniments on traditional Chinese instruments, dizi, xiao (flutes), yangqin (dulcimer), suona (oboe), sheng (mouth-blown organ) as well as Western violins, cellos and zither."

Are you the same Mercalia complaining about artistic cycling? :? :wink:
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Radiohead ... OK Computer ..... hide the sharps !!!!!! :(
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:
mercalia wrote:Chinese Folk songs - artist - Gong Linna ref ARC MUSIC LC 05111/EUCD 2129

Are you the same Mercalia complaining about artistic cycling? :? :wink:

well disapointed as I was expecting a thread how to cycle with finesse :lol:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote: well disapointed as I was expecting a thread how to cycle with finesse :lol:

And you think they don't???????? :shock:
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

A podcast discussing whether scientific research (more specifically astronomical research) should need to have a positive return on investment (i.e. each £/$ invested should generate more profit than spent on the research). Asking why we can't do scientific research for discovering more about us, our world, our universe, etc. and why we seem only able to do it to generate profits for the "investors".

Ian
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Psamathe wrote:A podcast discussing whether scientific research (more specifically astronomical research) should need to have a positive return on investment (i.e. each £/$ invested should generate more profit than spent on the research). Asking why we can't do scientific research for discovering more about us, our world, our universe, etc. and why we seem only able to do it to generate profits for the "investors".

The same might be asked about history and classics. Once upon a time these subjects were valued - not least by the Foreign Office - for the more abstract benefits they generated. Now, every academic field is subject to an 'Impact' assessment, and academics have to show immediate real world benefits of their work. Even though the recognised benefits aren't limited to money, showing the short term impact of your study of medieval theology or philosophy is rather trickier than showing your new polymer being used in shoelaces.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

bovlomov wrote:
Psamathe wrote:A podcast discussing whether scientific research (more specifically astronomical research) should need to have a positive return on investment (i.e. each £/$ invested should generate more profit than spent on the research). Asking why we can't do scientific research for discovering more about us, our world, our universe, etc. and why we seem only able to do it to generate profits for the "investors".

The same might be asked about history and classics. Once upon a time these subjects were valued - not least by the Foreign Office - for the more abstract benefits they generated. Now, every academic field is subject to an 'Impact' assessment, and academics have to show immediate real world benefits of their work. Even though the recognised benefits aren't limited to money, showing the short term impact of your study of medieval theology or philosophy is rather trickier than showing your new polymer being used in shoelaces.

I agree (to an extent) but, as somebody with something of a track record for taking threads off-topic and given that this is a light-hearted thread I'd probably best not say any more (here). But there are many interesting aspects (e.g. non-profit generating pharmaceutical research, ownership of publicly funded research, etc.) - just not in this thread (probably).

Ian
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Psamathe wrote:...just not in this thread (probably).

Would it be off-topic if we posted what we wanted but began with "I've been listening to a programme about..."?

Of course I'd never do such a thing.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

bovlomov wrote:
Psamathe wrote:...just not in this thread (probably).

Would it be off-topic if we posted what we wanted but began with "I've been listening to a programme about..."?

Of course I'd never do such a thing.

Well that podcast has finished now and so I'm now listening to one discussing if Dark Matter might actually be primordial small black holes (rather than the favoured theory of it being WIMPs) - an even more interesting discussion.

Ian