Currently listening to .......

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
ChrisOntLancs

Re: Currently listening to .......

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

i can out cool that. i've had love machine by either atomic kitten or girls aloud stuck in my head for weeks. it's a great tune.

i mean, they did pinch the riff from the monkees, but as far as i'm concerned everything they did is fair use. same goes for zep, as much as i love um.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Kuhhl is Brubeck......
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

i would agree but i'm currently on a music degree where jazz is the hallmark of undeserved music snobbery :lol:

i watched my flat mate sit through miles davis records like a dog trying to eat a tangerine. it's a shame what some people put themselves through for the sake of approval.

dr john on the other hand....
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I first heard Take Five on the radio in the late 60's,I would've been about 16 at the time,I was completely knocked out by it,couldn't explain why but it was the beginning of listening to a bit of Jazz,I'm no aficionado but some times something grabs my attention and that's it I have to follow the lead (Dakhabrakha* was another beautiful find,I'm blown away),Miles Davies is another Jazz legend I like.
The Icelandic band ADHD are another Jazz giant IMO:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHmSaLxA4T8&t=366s

*rapping Ukrainian style:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGXP4CJv7HE
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

M83, and watching Versailles at the same time...
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

Smooth radio whilst getting ready to go out on my bike :D
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

reohn2 wrote:I first heard Take Five on the radio in the late 60's,I would've been about 16 at the time,I was completely knocked out by it,couldn't explain why but it was the beginning of listening to a bit of Jazz,I'm no aficionado but some times something grabs my attention and that's it I have to follow the lead (Dakhabrakha* was another beautiful find,I'm blown away),Miles Davies is another Jazz legend I like.
The Icelandic band ADHD are another Jazz giant IMO:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHmSaLxA4T8&t=366s

*rapping Ukrainian style:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGXP4CJv7HE

i'm no aficionado either, but i think the art is lost on a lot of people. the aim isn't to be complex. take five is brilliant for that because the tune flows just as easy as something in 4/4. again, miles davisesus so what, "just go up a bit on every third run".

i just can't get into the more dissonant stuff, and unlike my peers i'm not ashamed to admit it :mrgreen:
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
John Miles "Music" :) - 1976.
Great every time you hear it on the radio.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
BigFoz

Post by BigFoz »

Never put "Take five" on your iPod / phone and walk to work. You get grooved into keeping step with the beat of the songs without realising it, then "take five" kicks in and you get all tangled up not knowing which foot to put down... :D
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Adagio for Strings .... Tiesto.
Ministry of Sound Mix, 2013.
8)

And inevitably ... Titanium (feat. Sia ) David Guetta.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Many years ago when my ears were still working, I went to a Hi-fi exhibition in Bristol where all the esoteric and expensive stuff was on demonstration.
I eventually wandered into a small room where a chap (can't remember his name at the mo) was demonstrating an old Garrard turntable played through a small valve amplifier and reasonably priced speakers.
I sat down to listen and as the tonearm dropped slowly on the vinyl and amazing sound hit my lug holes.
Yes, it was Dave Brubeck's Take Five, but like I'd never heard before.
As the cymbal crashed I couldn't understand why it sounded so different. Then I realised I was actually hearing two sounds; the actual sound of the stick hitting the metal before the cymbal reverberated. If you've got a copy, have a listen and I bet you won't hear that, no matter what equipment you've got.
I was mesmerised the whole way through the track and the first thing I did when getting home was order a new vinyl copy.
It sounded OK on my Pink Triangle turntable (nearly three grand's worth) but I swear it never sounded as good as on that lowly (but upgraded) Garrard.
Happy days.
Sadly no matter what I listen to these days, it all sounds like it's coming through the worst little £4-9s-11d transistor radio. Anyone remember those when we used to surreptitiously listen to Radio Luxembourg. 8)

fausto.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

White plastic transistor radio in a fake leather case, a single earphone listening to Caroline and a Scotch station .... can't remember what it was .... it may have been a pirate ....
Radio was about the plan size of a smart phone and twice as thick ..... PP9 batteries where gold dust then in Ulster
Be more Mike.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Where the Streets have no Name ( Cant Take my Eyes Off You ) .... mad Pet Shop Boys track ....
And next up ...
Go West ......
Gay Electro Pop at its best ..... or wurst ...... :D
TFJ is bopping around the kitchen ....
Be more Mike.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Massive Attack .. Teardrop ....... and breath ......
"Black Flowers Blossom" ... The Gaia effect ... Who remembers "Edge of Darkness" ...
The series closing credits showed a mountain side ... covered in black flowers .... chilling ....
Be more Mike.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

"Butterfly Caught"
Massive Attack.
Been listening to this track for years ...
Takes your breath away ......
Have your inhaler on standby ...lol
And don't get me started on "Unfinished Sympathy" .....
Be more Mike.