Trump Wins!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
meic

Re: Trump Wins!

Post by meic »

When Trump says he's going to 'clean out the cess pit ', he really means it. He made his money honestly, above board, payed his taxes. You can't say that for his detractors.

He really meant it!
"Build it" No wall, "Jail her" Clinton isnt going to be jailed, I bet the swamp doesnt get drained either.

Payed his taxes?
How do you know that? I thought he got away with avoiding proving that one altogether.
Yma o Hyd
SpannerGeek

Post by SpannerGeek »

Vorpal wrote:
SpannerGeek wrote:
syklist wrote:Thus nothing has been overturned.

Not yet. But there's another GE in the offing before Brexits over, I'll put my Campagnolo cycling cap on it. Chairman May won't see out her term.

Read, educate yourself. Try the world outside of your isolated, feather bedded, totally protectionist bubble of Norway. There's nothing like slumming it to improve the mind.

I am curious about how that string of words has much to do with the point at hand.

Even if we accept the argument that Farage has overturned the establishment (I don't see any evidence of that), how is 'slumming it' going to educate syklist in some way that the truth will be revealed?

I have lived in slums in the US. I have lived much of my life in 'bad' neighborhoods. I have also lived in a working class village in rural England, and I now live in the 'totally protectionist bubble of Norway' and I also have difficulty seeing that anything has been overturned. Farage got his Brexit; a change in circumstances, surely, but an overturn of the establishment? Perhaps you have a different understanding of what that means than I do.

As forTrump, he may not be the political establishment, but his political appointments do not exactly fill me with hope.

I am willing to give him a chance, yes. There are some things on his to-do list that I quite like. But if he proceeds with bigotry, well, I will do what I can to fight him, and I hope that many others do, to.

SpannerGeek wrote:Trump is in power. We don't understand what that means here in the UK (or Norway) but it's a volt face for U.S. politics and the corruption and collusion that's milked the country for the past 40 years.

When Trump says he's going to 'clean out the cess pit ', he really means it. He made his money honestly, above board, payed his taxes. You can't say that for his detractors.

I understand what it means, and I hope he does 'clean out the cess pit' because it needs cleaning. But I seriously have my doubts, not least because the Republicans who will control both houses of congress have no interest in cess pit cleaning, and some of the most important reforms (gerrymandering, lobbying), will depend on legislation.

While in the U.S. I visited an old friend (British) who now works for a prominent news agency in New York. His take on Trump was this (after two years of an establishment led attack and attempt to overturn Trumps popularity), 'No one is that clean, no one has as few skeletons in the cupboard. No one except an honest man'.

Like you, I'm willing to give Trump the opportunity to prove it. Unfortunately, most of the contributions to this post have condemned the man before even setting foot in the Whitehouse. Judge a man on his actions, not the words.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Judge a man on his actions, not the words

A lot of people say this of Trump. I don't get it.

If he follows his words on the campaign trail, he's a fascist misogynist who locks up his opponents, discriminates on the basis of religion and demeans women.

If he doesn't follow his words, he's a shameless liar.
syklist

Post by syklist »

BrianFox wrote:
Judge a man on his actions, not the words

A lot of people say this of Trump. I don't get it.

If he follows his words on the campaign trail, he's a fascist misogynist who locks up his opponents, discriminates on the basis of religion and demeans women.

If he doesn't follow his words, he's a shameless liar.

+1
So long and thanks for all the fish...
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

On the appeasement of Trump

Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

SpannerGeek wrote:Like you, I'm willing to give Trump the opportunity to prove it. Unfortunately, most of the contributions to this post have condemned the man before even setting foot in the Whitehouse. Judge a man on his actions, not the words.

His actions thus far are no better than his words. In fact, where some of his words are good ones--that he wants to clean up the cess pit, obtain paid maternity leave, legislate for renewed infrastructure--his actions thus far leave quite a bit to be desired, beginning with his choice of running mate, Mike Pence.

I will judge him by his actions. Thus far I disagree strongly with his actions, and I fear for my friends and family in the USA.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mjr

Post by mjr »

SpannerGeek wrote:
mjr wrote:Whereas Trump is different because he's the third generation of a family elite that's been milking US citizens for the last 90 years :lol:

[...]
Ignorance of American history and/or Trump's history on this forum is shocking. It's mostly gleaned from anti Trump press, which in this country is appallingly badly researched, probably deliberately so.

Blimey, the Trump Organization's own websites are part of the anti-Trump press - he really should get a grip on that! :lol:

So yes, I may be ignorant of Trump's history, because I learned some of it from Trump! :lol:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

SpannerGeek wrote:

Have a read of this week's Private Eye..................
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

mercalia wrote:That offer is not to be ignored with the hostility of the EU about to be inflicted on us?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38060434

Nothing hostile about a club pointing out to a member who is leaving that once they have left they won't be able to use the facilities.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

If 51% of the population vote to kill the other 49% and share out all their assets, that is 100% democratic.
Just thought I'd point that one out......
meic

Post by meic »

It doesnt even take 51% of the population in our system, about 20-30% should achieve a majority.

A slight extension of your argument is used for our invasions of other countries.
Our Governments have a democratic mandate to invade their countries (without them even getting a vote about it).
Yma o Hyd
Erudin

Post by Erudin »

Jill Stein has changed her tune since saying: "Under Hillary Clinton, we could slide into nuclear war very quickly from her declared policy in Syria."

"In two days, Jill Stein raised more than enough money, more than $5m, to file for recounts in Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania, though her campaign is still seeking about $2m more to cover the associated legal fees.

Results in these battleground states were narrow, with Trump winning by just 0.3% in Michigan, 1.2% in Pennsylvania, and 0.7% in Wisconsin. If Clinton had won all of these states’ 46 electoral college votes, it have would been enough for her to win the presidency."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/25/election-recount-outcome-jill-stein

"Hillary Clinton's campaign said Saturday it will take part in efforts to push for recounts in several key states, joining with Green Party candidate Jill Stein, who has raised millions of dollars to have votes counted again in Wisconsin."

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/26/politics/clinton-campaign-recount/
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Judge a man on his actions, not the words.
Hitler was all words before he seized power. The actions came later.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

meic wrote:
Payed his taxes?
How do you know that? I thought he got away with avoiding proving that one altogether.

I assume Trump has paid the taxes he should have paid because he says he has and the Inland Revenue Service, which has his tax returns, isn't chasing him for non-payment.

If you have evidence that he hasn't paid what he should then tell it to the IRS.

If you have no evidence, what's your problem?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Talking of 'no evidence' - I see that Don Trumpione has now added libel to his lengthy catalogue of hate-filled invective. Presumably he considers himself rich enough to withstand any action for defamation that Jill Stein might bring...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).