Rememberence

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
meic

Rememberence

Postby meic » 11 Nov 2016, 11:02am

As the time of compulsory silence and poppies approaches I cant help but notice that the same people who are pushing the compulsory Poppies and Remembrance are the same ones who keep pushing for yet another war!
One of us is clearly missing the point.
Yma o Hyd

pwa

Re: Rememberence

Postby pwa » 11 Nov 2016, 11:07am

I don't know of any new war that is being proposed by people in the UK at the moment. Am I missing something?

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 11 Nov 2016, 11:29am

We've run the local Poppy Appeal for the last ten years, and were helping out the previous people for nearly ten years before.
This year is our last. We've handed our notice in.

Nothing to do with the cause, but the fact that we're tired of it. It's hard work organising the boxes and the collecting tins and the poppies and "goodies". We have 40 collecting points locally, and on Monday I'll be going round to them all and gathering it all back in. Meanwhile, we've given out all the wreaths for the remembrance ceremony at the local monument.

I'm an ex-serviceman, and there are lots of us about locally - mainly ex-RN. The trouble is, we're all getting long in the tooth and there's none coming up behind. The services these days are much less than half the manpower than when I was in the RN '69 to '96, so in the not too distant future, we won't have many ex-servicemen to run the Appeal at all. :shock:

20years ago, I knew of quite a few serving in the RN and RM, and some Army and one or two RAF - all locally. These days, I know of no-one at all. If you take the train into Plymouth, you go past Devonport Dockyard and in the past, you could see many many ships alongside or anchored off. These days, you see one or two only, and the place looks dead.
Mick F. Cornwall

pwa

Postby pwa » 11 Nov 2016, 11:38am

Maybe the Poppy Appeal would benefit from a remodeling. Perhaps the present way of generating funds is a bit Last Century. Just a thought. If anything, I think general support for service personnel has risen over the last decade. We just need a way of channeling that support every November in association with Remembrance. On the other hand, it is a good demonstration of solidarity to wear a poppy. It is more than a "fund raiser".

meic

Postby meic » 11 Nov 2016, 11:45am

it is a good demonstration of solidarity to wear a poppy.

A political statement that you are in support of our present overseas interventions!

That wasnt the purpose of the Poppy when it was introduced, it was meant to be a support of peace not war.
Yma o Hyd

bikepacker

Postby bikepacker » 11 Nov 2016, 11:53am

meic wrote:
it is a good demonstration of solidarity to wear a poppy.

A political statement that you are in support of our present overseas interventions!

That wasnt the purpose of the Poppy when it was introduced, it was meant to be a support of peace not war.

You have me confused with your statement. How is remembering those who died fighting in WW1 and WW2, including some family members, make me a supporter of any future war?
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".

meic

Postby meic » 11 Nov 2016, 11:55am

Who are you showing solidarity with by wearing a poppy?
Yma o Hyd

bikepacker

Postby bikepacker » 11 Nov 2016, 11:58am

meic wrote:Who are you showing solidarity with by wearing a poppy?

I am not showing solidarity with anyone, I am remembering those who died fighting two world wars.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 11 Nov 2016, 12:00pm

Come to think of it, the once-common street collections in the form of "Flag Days" are rare. I suppose chugging and "charity" bag collections are more profitable. And sponsored bike rides, of course.

meic

Postby meic » 11 Nov 2016, 12:01pm

Bikepacker:
I want one of your special poppies that make that distinction.
Yma o Hyd

bikepacker

Postby bikepacker » 11 Nov 2016, 12:06pm

meic wrote:Bikepacker:
I want one of your special poppies that make that distinction.

I think it is me that needs to see one of yours that specifically purports to support war.

meic

Postby meic » 11 Nov 2016, 12:15pm

specifically?
No not specifically, not even explicitly but certainly implicitly.

You have to buy the new package, not the original one.
Yma o Hyd

bikepacker

Postby bikepacker » 11 Nov 2016, 12:24pm

meic wrote:specifically?
No not specifically, not even explicitly but certainly implicitly.

You have to buy the new package, not the original one.

You obviously have distorted views of how some of us wish to remember the dead. But as I know from some of your other posts you always fight to have the last word. This will be mine so go ahead.

meic

Postby meic » 11 Nov 2016, 12:35pm

You obviously have distorted views of how some of us wish to remember the dead.

I have no problem with how people wish to remember their dead, I have a problem with how the warmongers have misappropriated the poppy and perverted it into a (near-compulsory) public political symbol, which is nothing like how you describe your use of one, or how my use of one used to be.
Yma o Hyd

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 11 Nov 2016, 1:02pm

My grandchildren learn about this each November. Our war memorial is on the walk from their school to our house so we pass it frequently. I try to give them some background. One of the people commemorated there is Randall Sowden who died only a month before the Armistice. He's pictured on the Leeds photographic archive as a child of their age. (No connection with me BTW.)

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

It also seems to surprise them that the many names list only those from this village who died. :(