ALDI CIDER

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
landsurfer

ALDI CIDER

Post by landsurfer »

H. Weston and Sons.
West country Vintage Cider.
7.3% by Vol.
Beautiful...
Labeled as "Premium Vintage Cider" at Aldi ..
750ml bottle ... £1
Get some while it lasts ......
:)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
SpannerGeek

Re: ALDI CIDER

Post by SpannerGeek »

I'm on it! Weston cider is rather understated, a nice drop!
syklist

Post by syklist »

Does it come with a free brown paper bag? :wink:
So long and thanks for all the fish...
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Aldi are going after this market with that stuff. :D

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
SpannerGeek

Post by SpannerGeek »

7-8% is pretty much the ballpark for classy 'craft' ciders in the UK, which you can pay up to a tenner a bottle (500ml).

If you think that's strong, check out this commercially available British cider at 70% proof... No joke!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... proof.html
SpannerGeek

Post by SpannerGeek »

70% cider... Free coffin with every purchase!
Attachments
coffin-merrion-zoom.jpg
syklist

Post by syklist »

SpannerGeek wrote:7-8% is pretty much the ballpark for classy 'craft' ciders in the UK, which you can pay up to a tenner a bottle (500ml).

If you think that's strong, check out this commercially available British cider at 70% proof... No joke!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... proof.html

Your link points to a product that is called beer. Both in the article and headline.

"Sipping recommended: British beer 'Snake Venom' is world's strongest at 70 per cent proof"
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Not 70% proof either - it's 68% alcohol which is getting on for 140% proof. Bloody Daily Mail can't even get that right..... :lol:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
sjs

Post by sjs »

pete75 wrote:Not 70% proof either - it's 68% alcohol which is getting on for 140% proof. Bloody Daily Mail can't even get that right..... :lol:

Pedant alert: proof is measured in degrees, not percent.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

sjs wrote:
pete75 wrote:Not 70% proof either - it's 68% alcohol which is getting on for 140% proof. Bloody Daily Mail can't even get that right..... :lol:

So the Mail is doubly wrong....... :lol:
syklist

Post by syklist »

pete75 wrote:
sjs wrote:

So the Mail is doubly wrong....... :lol:

Their "journalists" have probably been sipping too much ALDI cider... :lol:
Phil_Chadwick

Post by Phil_Chadwick »

Concentrated by freezing. :mrgreen:

When whisky, brandy etc are made they remove the heads and tails which contain most of the real nasties. This stuff won't have had that done, so it's going to give you a mother of a hangover
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Phil_Chadwick wrote:

When whisky, brandy etc are made they remove the heads and tails which contain most of the real nasties. This stuff won't have had that done, so it's going to give you a mother of a hangover

They did or maybe still do it with cider in Canada and the USA. The result is called Applejack. Rather stick with Calvados myself.
Phil_Chadwick

Post by Phil_Chadwick »

pete75 wrote:
Phil_Chadwick wrote:

They did or maybe still do it with cider in Canada and the USA. The result is called Applejack. Rather stick with Calvados myself.

Indeed. Vile stuff, Applejack. Unlike a good Calvados :)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Phil_Chadwick wrote:Indeed. Vile stuff, Applejack. Unlike a good Calvados :)

You've obviously never had a cider slush (that's lush with an s :wink: )

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/ ... ider-slush
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom