Everybody's Making Plans for Nigel

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: Everybody's Making Plans for Nigel

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:
pete75 wrote:
mercalia wrote:the reason why it wont happen is that lets face it Mr Farage is an outsider he dont belong to the club? Mrs May says she wants to govern for the people unlike the elitest posh Cameron, but its at a distance type, in the way you feed the animals at the zoo. The political establishment is too snooty to make anything of Mr Farage.

Except Farage is from a far more snooty background than May. His background is pretty close to Cameron's, father a stockbroker and attended a leading public school.

looks and sounds is all important - Farage dont sound posh at all, he aint? He dont have a BBC voice so cant be posh

If you don't thing a stockbroker father and Dulwich College isn't posh then what on earth do you think is?

Farage has a very RP voice. Often he dresses like a gentleman farmer - strange when he's neither. You must know the rig out - tweed jacket, tattersall check shirt, brogues and red or yellow cords.

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
SpannerGeek

Post by SpannerGeek »

pete75 wrote:
mercalia wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Except Farage is from a far more snooty background than May. His background is pretty close to Cameron's, father a stockbroker and attended a leading public school.

looks and sounds is all important - Farage dont sound posh at all, he aint? He dont have a BBC voice so cant be posh

If you don't thing a stockbroker father and Dulwich College isn't posh then what on earth do you think is?

Farage has a very RP voice. Often he dresses like a gentleman farmer - strange when he's neither. You must know the rig out - tweed jacket, tattersall check shirt, brogues and red or yellow cords.

He didn't go to university. He drinks in 'pubs', and he managed to overthrow the British establishment without seeming really to try.

He's not 'one of them', and they hate him for it. If he were, he'd be U.S. ambassador a week ago.

Note the solid resistance...
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

SpannerGeek wrote:...and he managed to overthrow the British establishment without seeming really to try....

Err, still there and happily continuing "business as usual".

Ian
SpannerGeek

Post by SpannerGeek »

Psamathe wrote:
SpannerGeek wrote:...and he managed to overthrow the British establishment without seeming really to try....

Ian

Erm, not really. 'Business as usual' was milking the European system, free trade and most importantly of all (30% of our current GDP revenues) free financial passsporting for the banking industry, which is just about to go pop. 18% real value drop in the pound, exports floundering, national debt static, business confidence doubtful, foreign investors moving their cash/property elsewhere..

Which means the establishment is scuppered, banking is scuppered, and the British economy with it.

Which part of business as usual were you talking about?

The 'machinery' of the establishment might be still viable, but it's on a shaky nail. As is politics all over Europe, France, Italy, Spain... In June Farage gave the establishment the biggest kicking its had in three centuries.

Have a good look at the Trump/Farage photo. Thumbs up. They're sending a message, and it's not to the likes of you and me.
Last edited by SpannerGeek on 23 Nov 2016, 8:18am, edited 1 time in total.
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

Yes,the guy is a maverick. I think from early days he was 'a trouble maker'. I put him in the box with Michael Moore,George Galloway,Assange,others. I wonder how they've survived so long,I guess others like them have been eliminated by 'the Man'. Weaker individuals might have slinked away or taken 30 pieces of silver. I think they're to stone-in-the-shoe of the more measured,well-oiled-and-polished-people who rise to the top.

I'd like to have met the child,then the teenager,then seen them grow into the awkward-squad they are these days
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

SpannerGeek wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

Ian

Erm, not really. 'Business as usual' was milking the European system, free trade and most importantly of all (30% of our current GDP revenues) free financial passsporting for the banking industry, which is just about to go pop. 18% real value drop in the pound, exports floundering, national debt static, business confidence doubtful, foreign investors moving their cash/property elsewhere..

Which means the establishment is scuppered, banking is scuppered, and the British economy with it.

Free Trade - still in place as we speak.
financial Passporting - still in place
18% drop in value of £ - you think that is something we should be please about (given the inflation it causes and that it impacts those who can least afford it).
National Debt - has Farange overthrown that 'cos I thought it was still getting worse just as before.
Business confidence/foreign investors - you think destroying confidence and loss of foreogn investors something we should admire Franage for causing ?

Yet still we have an appointed leader doing what she wants, not listening to anybody, just as we had before and before, etc. We have a predominantly white millionaire male government dominated by public school attendees, etc.

Yet as we speak now I can see little different. As of now the Banking/financial crisis was far more significant so you be better saying that they overthrew the establishment (except they didn't).

Maybe you are confusing what might happen in the future with what has happened. But even leaving the EU is hardly going to "overthrow the establishment". It will probably have horrendous effects on the economy, those in society who are in need, on unemployment, on the UK debt but I suspect the one thing that will survive unaffected will be "the Establishment".

Ian
SpannerGeek

Post by SpannerGeek »

Psamathe wrote:
SpannerGeek wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Err, still there and happily continuing "business as usual".

Ian

Free Trade - still in place as we speak.
financial Passporting - still in place
18% drop in value of £ - you think that is something we should be please about (given the inflation it causes and that it impacts those who can least afford it).
National Debt - has Farange overthrown that 'cos I thought it was still getting worse just as before.
Business confidence/foreign investors - you think destroying confidence and loss of foreogn investors something we should admire Franage for causing ?

Yet still we have an appointed leader doing what she wants, not listening to anybody, just as we had before and before, etc. We have a predominantly white millionaire male government dominated by public school attendees, etc.

Yet as we speak now I can see little different. As of now the Banking/financial crisis was far more significant so you be better saying that they overthrew the establishment (except they didn't).

Maybe you are confusing what might happen in the future with what has happened. But even leaving the EU is hardly going to "overthrow the establishment". It will probably have horrendous effects on the economy, those in society who are in need, on unemployment, on the UK debt but I suspect the one thing that will survive unaffected will be "the Establishment".

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

He [Farange] seems to be getting more desperate in his search for a job/role
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nigel-farage-us-elections-forgive-british-criticism-donald-trump-president-elect-ukip-a7442376.html wrote:Nigel Farage to ask Americans to 'forgive' British people who criticised Donald Trump, in US trip

'It is ridiculous, petty and potentially against the national interest not even to ring me up and have a chat with me, let alone ask me to make some introductions'
“I’m happy to help formally or informally, I’m happy to make an introduction. But I just think it is ridiculous, petty and potentially against the national interest not even to ring me up and have a chat with me, let alone ask me to make some introductions,” he said.

And as Trump does not seem to be offering him a job, as UK government is resisting pressure from Trump to give Farage a job, I see he is now so desperte he's broadening his efforts to maybe find something in France
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nigel-farage-marine-le-pen-french-presidential-election-front-nationale-prejudice-and-antisemitism-a7442036.html wrote:Nigel Farage poised to back Marine Le Pen in French presidential election despite accusing her party of 'prejudice and antisemitism'

The interim Ukip leader said victory for the 'brilliant' National Front leader would mean 'it’s over' for the European Union – having previously rejected an alliance with her party

So maybe she will give him a job (or put more pressure on the UK Government to give him a job).

But his "The interim Ukip leader said victory for the 'brilliant' National Front leader would mean 'it’s over' for the European Union" makes me think his Leave campaigning in the UK is more driven by a hatred of the EU rather than his thinking is is not good for the UK. i.e. he seems to be seeking the destruction of the EU rather than seeking what he believes is in the UK's interests.

Ian
syklist

Post by syklist »

Psamathe wrote:But his "The interim Ukip leader said victory for the 'brilliant' National Front leader would mean 'it’s over' for the European Union" makes me think his Leave campaigning in the UK is more driven by a hatred of the EU rather than his thinking is is not good for the UK. i.e. he seems to be seeking the destruction of the EU rather than seeking what he believes is in the UK's interests.

Yes I have problems understanding that part of the hard line supporters of brexit agenda.

It is not just enough to leave the club, you have to crap on the lounge carpet and pee on the front door on the way out and then come back a few days later, smash a few windows and try to burn the clubhouse down.

Brexit seems to be as much about leaving the EU as destroying it completely. Given the degree of economic, political and military instability that would bring you really have to ask who they, the supporters of brexit really are working for? Who would benefit most from a poor, unstable and weak Europe?
So long and thanks for all the fish...
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Nigel's whole future is in british steel

He's up there turning round just like a helicopter, copter
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Interesting how today Farage is trying again and making it rather clearer what he is after - he wants a job
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/dec/18/nigel-farage-no-10-has-banned-ministers-from-talking-to-me wrote:Farage told BBC Radio 4: “If you wanted to get business from the biggest company in the world and there was someone there that had the contacts and connections, the first thing you do is to employ that person.
(my highlighting)

So he wants to take even more money from the Uk government (maybe he feels he is not getting enough from being an MEP and wants to supplement his income).

Ian
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

Psamathe wrote:Interesting how today Farage is trying again and making it rather clearer what he is after - he wants a job
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/dec/18/nigel-farage-no-10-has-banned-ministers-from-talking-to-me wrote:Farage told BBC Radio 4: “If you wanted to get business from the biggest company in the world and there was someone there that had the contacts and connections, the first thing you do is to employ that person.
(my highlighting)

So he wants to take even more money from the Uk government (maybe he feels he is not getting enough from being an MEP and wants to supplement his income).

Ian

He's self-confident person with a track record of success in getting what he wants even in the face of huge establishment opposition. He does have contacts and connections with powerful people in the world's most important economy.

Why shouldn't he sell himself to prospective employers?

His skillset is impressive.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

blackbike wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Interesting how today Farage is trying again and making it rather clearer what he is after - he wants a job
(my highlighting)

Ian

He's self-confident person with a track record of success in getting what he wants even in the face of huge establishment opposition. He does have contacts and connections with powerful people in the world's most important economy.

Why shouldn't he sell himself to prospective employers?

His skillset is impressive.

Except what he is doing now is turning to the public to complain after his "potential employers" have said they are not interested. He's having a grips to the public that "they wont give me a job boo ho ho".

Ian
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Nigel's whole future is in british steel<br abp="542"><br abp="543">He's up there turning round just like a helicopter, copter

Yep give him that to sort out first as it was predicted all those years ago.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

On reflection, I could accept taxpayers money being spent giving him a position and then posting him to e.g. South Georgia or Tonga. That would be taxpayers money well spent.

Ian