Everybody's Making Plans for Nigel

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: Everybody's Making Plans for Nigel

Post by Psamathe »

I heard recently it is likely that he is destined for the House of Lords (even saint Theresa would not rule it out when asked about it). But I can't see the expenses there being anything like enough for him (plus you have to turn-up and attend to even get that money).

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Wondering what is going on as I've been noticing increasing reports along the lines of
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nigel-farage-knighthood-douglas-carswell-feud-sour-grapes-ukip-leader-mp-a7605186.html wrote:Nigel Farage 'doesn't particularly want' a knighthood
“I would not want a peerage, if something else came along, I might accept it but I would not want a peerage.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nigel-farage-deserve-duke-neil-hamilton-ukip-knighthood-leader-welsh-assembly-a7608081.html wrote:Nigel Farage deserves to be made a duke, says Neil Hamilton
Mr Hamilton told the BBC's Daily Politics: "I would say Nigel deserves a peerage. I'd say he deserves a dukedom for the role that he's played in getting us out of the EU."

And a video https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2017/mar/03/nigel-farage-knighted-sam-delaney-news-thing-video ("telling" bit after 30 seconds)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/01/patience-nigel-knighthood-services-brexit-should-come-finish/ wrote:Patience Nigel, your knighthood for services to Brexit should come – but finish the job first
GODFREY BLOOM
FORMER UKIP MEP

etc., etc.

Is there something being tried, particularly after the "Farage for US Ambassador" failed.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Neil Hamilton(and his creepy wife),the sort of recommendation no one would wish for surely :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Psamathe wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/01/patience-nigel-knighthood-services-brexit-should-come-finish/ wrote:Patience Nigel, your knighthood for services to Brexit should come – but finish the job first
GODFREY BLOOM
FORMER UKIP MEP
Ah. This would be Godfrey "Bongo bongo land" Bloom, by any chance!? A fine upstanding example of UKIP's impartiality and all-embracing magnanimity.....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I find XTC more interesting than UK€P
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

bovlomov wrote:
SpannerGeek wrote:Apologies to XTC for ripping a song lyric..

But seriously, what's so eerily wrong with Nigel, that the government can't even consider him as a liaison between the UK and America? It makes absolutely no sense.

He clearly has a strong rapport with the next President of the United States, this makes no sense not to utilise the relationship to our own benefit.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... nald-trump

US ambassadors are political appointments - for the worse, I think. Generally, UK ambassadors are not. I'd hope that the ambassador would be working quietly for the good of the UK. He shouldn't be a pal of the foreign head of state, and someone who is more interested in his own profile than the good of his country. That's why Farage shouldn't be ambassador to the US, and that's why I hope he won't have any role. An ambassador with verbal incontinence is an accident waiting to happen.

Nobody including him has suggested ambassadorship. More a trade negotiater. As they are mates not a bad idea but probably in a minor role.
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

Paulatic wrote:
SpannerGeek wrote:
Paulatic wrote:
If I'm not sick if hearing about this "special relationship " As I understand it was only while we were in debt to USA and weve now paid off that debt.
It looks to me as if we should start distancing ourselves from Trump not pandering to him.

Given the pound has risen an astonishing 7% (it's highest 2 week rise for 8 years) predominantly on the back of the reaffirmation of the 'special relationship', I hardly think the U.S. is a market and a partner we can afford to neglect. Doubly so since we'lo be out of the Single market shortly and on our uppers for free trade partners...

That might be yours and the governments opinion. Strangely I take a higher moral stance and would tell Trump to ***!
Think the good Scottish people of Aberdeen have told him that already

A higher moral stance? Did you think it was acceptable for a Chinese dictator to be invited on a state visit to the UK? Bet you didn't have a problem with that. I believe the planners blocked Trump and it had nothing whatsoever to do with "the good people of Aberdeen"
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Boyd wrote:
bovlomov wrote:
SpannerGeek wrote:Apologies to XTC for ripping a song lyric..

But seriously, what's so eerily wrong with Nigel, that the government can't even consider him as a liaison between the UK and America? It makes absolutely no sense.

He clearly has a strong rapport with the next President of the United States, this makes no sense not to utilise the relationship to our own benefit.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... nald-trump

US ambassadors are political appointments - for the worse, I think. Generally, UK ambassadors are not. I'd hope that the ambassador would be working quietly for the good of the UK. He shouldn't be a pal of the foreign head of state, and someone who is more interested in his own profile than the good of his country. That's why Farage shouldn't be ambassador to the US, and that's why I hope he won't have any role. An ambassador with verbal incontinence is an accident waiting to happen.

Nobody including him has suggested ambassadorship. More a trade negotiater. As they are mates not a bad idea but probably in a minor role.

I thought Trump had suggested the ambassadorship
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/nov/22/nigel-farage-uk-ambassador-us-donald-trump wrote: Nigel Farage would be great UK ambassador to US, says Donald Trump
“Many people would like to see [@Nigel_Farage] represent Great Britain as their Ambassador to the United States,” Trump tweeted on Monday evening. “He would do a great job!”

which was then followed by Farage making quite a few TV appearances wondering why the UK was not prepared to make use of him to help establish contacts with the Team Trump (presumably he was completely unaware that they already had all the diplomatic contacts they needed).

Ian
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Boyd wrote:
Paulatic wrote:
SpannerGeek wrote:
Given the pound has risen an astonishing 7% (it's highest 2 week rise for 8 years) predominantly on the back of the reaffirmation of the 'special relationship', I hardly think the U.S. is a market and a partner we can afford to neglect. Doubly so since we'lo be out of the Single market shortly and on our uppers for free trade partners...

That might be yours and the governments opinion. Strangely I take a higher moral stance and would tell Trump to ***!
Think the good Scottish people of Aberdeen have told him that already

A higher moral stance? Did you think it was acceptable for a Chinese dictator to be invited on a state visit to the UK? Bet you didn't have a problem with that. I believe the planners blocked Trump and it had nothing whatsoever to do with "the good people of Aberdeen"

I agree it would be the planners. Was I wrong to assume they were from Aberdeen and their salary comes from the Aberdeen council. The council will have representatives voted in from the residents of Aberdeen.

I see there is speculation Trump's visit will now be in October for one day only in London and then bundled upto Balmoral.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Paulatic wrote:.....
I see there is speculation Trump's visit will now be in October for one day only in London and then bundled upto Balmoral.

Does not surprise me as I seem to remember Queenie has a private golf course there and one of Trump's wishes is to have Queenie watch him play a round of golf on the private course there (I suppose different people get their kicks in different ways).

Ian
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

In a few decades there may be very few Nigels making plans at all
Nigel Planer in the Grauniad reports that the name has *fallen out of use*

One wonders whether the song by XTC might keep the name alive after ukip has been forgotten

Do we have any Nigels here?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I've heard someone call their dog Nigel :? :shock: :) ,I just couldn't.....
And Ive also heard one called Harrison too :roll:
What happened to Rex and Bonso(great band BTW :) )
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden