Everybody's Making Plans for Nigel

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Edwards

Re: Everybody's Making Plans for Nigel

Post by Edwards »

Psamathe wrote:On reflection, I could accept taxpayers money being spent giving him a position and then posting him to e.g. South Georgia or Tonga. That would be taxpayers money well spent.<br abp="407"><br abp="408">Ian

How about India to sort out a trade deal with no immigration or visas to this country. :wink: :roll: :lol:
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

Psamathe wrote:
blackbike wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Interesting how today Farage is trying again and making it rather clearer what he is after - he wants a job
(my highlighting)

So he wants to take even more money from the Uk government (maybe he feels he is not getting enough from being an MEP and wants to supplement his income).

Ian

He's self-confident person with a track record of success in getting what he wants even in the face of huge establishment opposition. He does have contacts and connections with powerful people in the world's most important economy.

Why shouldn't he sell himself to prospective employers?

His skillset is impressive.

Except what he is doing now is turning to the public to complain after his "potential employers" have said they are not interested. He's having a grips to the public that "they wont give me a job boo ho ho".

Ian

He isn't complaining at all. In that Guardian article he is putting himself forward as someone who can be of use to the country in communicating between us and the new US administration, and he explains why he'd be a good person for the job.

He is demonstrating his continued desire to serve the Great British Public in the best way possible after his recent good work in manoeuvring the government into giving us our referendum which resulted in the historic decision to leave the EU.

I'd be delighted if Farage had some official position as he is by far the most skilful and effective politician in the UK at the moment.

We should harness his talent for the good of the country.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

blackbike wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
blackbike wrote:
He's self-confident person with a track record of success in getting what he wants even in the face of huge establishment opposition. He does have contacts and connections with powerful people in the world's most important economy.

Why shouldn't he sell himself to prospective employers?

His skillset is impressive.

Except what he is doing now is turning to the public to complain after his "potential employers" have said they are not interested. He's having a grips to the public that "they wont give me a job boo ho ho".

Ian

He isn't complaining at all. In that Guardian article he is putting himself forward as someone who can be of use to the country in communicating between us and the new US administration, and he explains why he'd be a good person for the job.

He is demonstrating his continued desire to serve the Great British Public in the best way possible after his recent good work in manoeuvring the government into giving us our referendum which resulted in the historic decision to leave the EU.

I'd be delighted if Farage had some official position as he is by far the most skilful and effective politician in the UK at the moment.

But he already has a job (though despite taking the full pay, he has one of the worst attendance records of all MEPs). If you employed somebody to do a job and they had such a poor attendance record (and still claimed full pay) would you give them another job - for which they might behave in the same manner.

(When I say one of the worst, he is the 747th worst out of 751). Hardly a good recommendation for any employer. Hardly shows commitment to doing the job he is paid to do. Shows that the "milking the system" comments are justified. and now he wants to milk the British taxpayer some more.

Ian
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

Psamathe wrote: But he already has a job (though despite taking the full pay, he has one of the worst attendance records of all MEPs). If you employed somebody to do a job and they had such a poor attendance record (and still claimed full pay) would you give them another job - for which they might behave in the same manner.

(When I say one of the worst, he is the 747th worst out of 751). Hardly a good recommendation for any employer. Hardly shows commitment to doing the job he is paid to do. Shows that the "milking the system" comments are justified. and now he wants to milk the British taxpayer some more.

Ian

Farage has been re-elected to his job as MEP three times so we can assume that there is little dissatisfaction at his performance in the post.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

blackbike wrote:
Psamathe wrote: But he already has a job (though despite taking the full pay, he has one of the worst attendance records of all MEPs). If you employed somebody to do a job and they had such a poor attendance record (and still claimed full pay) would you give them another job - for which they might behave in the same manner.

Ian

Farage has been re-elected to his job as MEP three times so we can assume that there is little dissatisfaction at his performance in the post.

My impression was that the MEP electoral system is more oriented to voting for a party than an individual. So I suspect that people were voting for UKIP rather than Farage. And I believe that UKIP only managed to get a third of the votes (pretty well the same number as the Conservatives ?). So I don't read that as anybody being satisfied with his work and attendance record. Few people like paying somebody to do something and then they just don't bother to turn-up, don't bother to do the job and yet still claim full salary.

(Or maybe my memory is flawed).

Ian
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

blackbike wrote:

If what he purports is happening really is*, then I agree, it's a shame - if someone can be useful, they should be used. Suspect that the old order (not mean to be perjorative BTW) is still rather cross with Nigel.

*R4 this morning
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

Psamathe wrote:
blackbike wrote:

Ian

My impression was that the MEP electoral system is more oriented to voting for a party than an individual. So I suspect that people were voting for UKIP rather than Farage. And I believe that UKIP only managed to get a third of the votes (pretty well the same number as the Conservatives ?). So I don't read that as anybody being satisfied with his work and attendance record. Few people like paying somebody to do something and then they just don't bother to turn-up, don't bother to do the job and yet still claim full salary.

Ian

Oh. I see. So people were voting for UKIP and were not expressing their desire for Farage to continue as an MEP for their region.

If you believe that you'll believe anything!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Bonefishblues wrote:
blackbike wrote:

If what he purports is happening really is*, then I agree, it's a shame - if someone can be useful, they should be used. Suspect that the old order (not mean to be perjorative BTW) is still rather cross with Nigel.

*R4 this morning

I would find a gardener "really useful" but that does not mean I should employ one.

He seems to be seeking a diplomatic role and with such a role he would be expected to pursue policies he is told to pursue. Yet his track record is that he follows what he wants, his own policies and if he disagrees with e.g. the government policy he is meant to be pursuing, then he may easily start instead pursuing what he thinks is best (for whoever he is most concerned with). In that regard he is totally unsuitable for the role he is seeking (although he seems to be rather vague about quite what this job he is seeking would actually entail him doing).

UK government already has a team of people in the US to deal with the things Nigel seems to want to take-over. And does anybody believe that Trump will treat the UK more favourably because we give Nigel a job. UK already has plenty of mechanisms to communicate with the US government so do we really need another who may not be under the control of anybody other than Nigel himself. Personally I think it would generally be to the benefit of the UK to be a bit more distant from the US (i.e. we don't need to keep doing their biding, joining their wars, etc.). Things like Trade deals will be based on the respective interests of the various parties to the deal not who has offered what individuals any particular job.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

blackbike wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
blackbike wrote:

Ian

Oh. I see. So people were voting for UKIP and were not expressing their desire for Farage to continue as an MEP for their region.

If you believe that you'll believe anything!

I can't say what or why the SE constituency voted as they did. But it is quite possible they voted UKIP because they supported their policies rather than the way Farange did or did not represent their interests to the European Parliament. We need to be careful about attributing election results to any specific reason (e.g. we should not suppose that votes for UKIP is actually support for poor attendance records when it comes to doing the job they were elected to do).

I don't even know what Farange campaigned on - did he point out to the electorate and campaign on how he would milk the system for all the personal income he could get and not bother actually attending that often. I suspect he campaigned on a very different basis.

Ian
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

blackbike wrote:I'd be delighted if Farage had some official position as he is by far the most skilful and effective politician in the UK at the moment.

A skilful rabble-rouser. A liar who stirs up hostility against minorities. A sponger on the taxpayer. A tax avoider. Inconsistent. Someone who has a record of falling out with allies. Someone who lives in a paranoid fantasy world and learns his science from Rupert Murdoch.

Honestly - I don't dislike him that much. He might well be an entertaining pub companion. I even agree with some of what he says (bearing in mind that he's not talking about the things that don't fit his narrative).

But harness his talent? He's a loose cannon and a chancer, and he has no experience in the position for which he is promoting himself. True, he has a talent for self-promotion, but I suspect that promotion of Nigel isn't often consistent with the good of the country.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

bovlomov wrote:
....Someone who lives in a paranoid fantasy world.....

Farage had this fantasy of getting us out of the EU.

And made it reality through sheer hard work and telling truths the establishment tried to hide.

His effectiveness as a politician is best demonstrated by the incoherent rage which he provokes from his opponents who can't cope with his tactics.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Psamathe wrote:I would find a gardener "really useful" but that does not mean I should employ one.

He seems to be seeking a diplomatic role and with such a role he would be expected to pursue policies he is told to pursue. Yet his track record is that he follows what he wants, his own policies and if he disagrees with e.g. the government policy he is meant to be pursuing, then he may easily start instead pursuing what he thinks is best (for whoever he is most concerned with). In that regard he is totally unsuitable for the role he is seeking (although he seems to be rather vague about quite what this job he is seeking would actually entail him doing).

UK government already has a team of people in the US to deal with the things Nigel seems to want to take-over. And does anybody believe that Trump will treat the UK more favourably because we give Nigel a job. UK already has plenty of mechanisms to communicate with the US government so do we really need another who may not be under the control of anybody other than Nigel himself. Personally I think it would generally be to the benefit of the UK to be a bit more distant from the US (i.e. we don't need to keep doing their biding, joining their wars, etc.). Things like Trade deals will be based on the respective interests of the various parties to the deal not who has offered what individuals any particular job.

Ian

On the level Trump seems to operate, yes.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

I'd like Farage as foreign secretary rather than UK ambassador to the US.

Our relationship with the US seems on very firm ground under the Trump administration. We are first in the queue.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37594928
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

blackbike wrote:I'd like Farage as foreign secretary rather than UK ambassador to the US.

Our relationship with the US seems on very firm ground under the Trump administration. We are first in the queue.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37594928

Farage may not be as bad as Boris, but that's hardly a reason to think he'll be any good.

That article you link to is six weeks old. Trump and his advisers have said all kinds of things, and the opposite. Best ignore it.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

blackbike wrote:
bovlomov wrote:
....Someone who lives in a paranoid fantasy world.....

Farage had this fantasy of getting us out of the EU.

And made it reality through sheer hard work and telling truths the establishment tried to hide.

His effectiveness as a politician is best demonstrated by the incoherent rage which he provokes from his opponents who can't cope with his tactics.

And then resigned UKIP within a week but kept on his salaried job that he doesn't turn up too.
Was he scared?

If someone genuinely believes in something then they see it through, not give up and run away.
Because of his resignation it is my belief that he has nothing to say about further EU negotiations.
As in Zero/Zilch.